or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › KSC75 Headband Mod - Which is Best???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KSC75 Headband Mod - Which is Best??? - Page 2

post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel
Bump.

Any other thoughts on this? I purchased a pair of $10 Coby headphones thinking that the headband *might* work, but it was a no-go. So I've exhausted my local resources. I can't find any brand of cheap headphone locally that will work with the KSC75 without extensive modding, if at all. Brands checked so far: Philips, Maganvox/Zenith, Sony, Koss, Coby, etc.
Wait for the Sportapro's to go on sale again. They were $12.99 shipped from J&R a couple of weeks ago. And since they are built to hold the Koss 60 ohm drivers it's a simple swap of the stock drivers for the KSC75 driver. And the 75's sound outstanding on the Sporta band.
post #17 of 30
I took UR40 drivers and mounted them in a sportapro headband. They snap right in and cosmetically look like a stock sporta. The driver however uses the titanium diaphragm from the KSC75.

They are my fave portable can. sonically I like them better than the KSC75 and unmodded sporta.

I have an MS1 on the way (which I plan on using portably) and will do a head to head shootout... let's see what the little koss can do!!!

Garrett
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150
I took UR40 drivers and mounted them in a sportapro headband. They snap right in and cosmetically look like a stock sporta. The driver however uses the titanium diaphragm from the KSC75.

They are my fave portable can. sonically I like them better than the KSC75 and unmodded sporta.

I have an MS1 on the way (which I plan on using portably) and will do a head to head shootout... let's see what the little koss can do!!!

Garrett
Hmm, I tried several configurations, but not that one. What did you do about the bare wires coming from the UR40 drivers? Also, these again appear to be different drivers than the KSC75:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Koss' Website
  • UR40
    Frequency Response: 15-22,000 Hz
    Impedance: 60 ohms
    Sensitivity: 98 dB SPL/1mW
    Distortion: <0.2%
  • KSC75
    Frequency Response: 15-25,000 Hz
    Impedance: 60 ohms
    Sensitivity: 101 dB SPL/1mW
    Distortion: <0.2%
post #19 of 30
Hopefully I'll be posting my mod of ksc75 drivers into Audio Technica FX55's soon.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by skev13
Hopefully I'll be posting my mod of ksc75 drivers into Audio Technica FX55's soon.
COOL! I can't wait to see them and hear your impressions.
post #21 of 30
Thread Starter 
Thanks again for all of the suggestions guys. It looks like my quest for an uber-cheap solution isn't going to well so I'll have to consider the Sportapro.

Question on the headband - can I just snap the earclips off of the KSC75 and then snap them (housing and all) into the Sportapro band, or do I have to actually remove the drivers from the KSC75?
post #22 of 30
They snap right on. Inspired by the picture of the PortaPro drivers on the KSC75 clips, I just did this swap (KSC75 to SportaPro) minutes ago.
post #23 of 30
I got a pair of KSC75 drivers on the sporta pro headband as well. More bass. The bassier SP drivers on the KSC75 ear clips. Tightens up the bass and more treble.
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mektarus
Hmm, I tried several configurations, but not that one. What did you do about the bare wires coming from the UR40 drivers? Also, these again appear to be different drivers than the KSC75:
My UR40 actually CAME with the little wire clip pieces that retain the wires. I dont know if they all do, or I just got lucky???

The KTX Pro1 I have does NOT have that little clip piece. So I cant recommend taking the Pro1 drivers and using them in the sporta / porta headband.

as far as I know, the UR40 is the only koss phone that has the black KSC35 driver housing, Clips to retain the wires and a Ti driver diaphragm.

Correct the driver housing is different between the UR40/Pro1 and KSC75. The driver diaphragm is identical between all 3.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel

Question on the headband - can I just snap the earclips off of the KSC75 and then snap them (housing and all) into the Sportapro band
Yes... I did that for a while. and used them interchangeably. I'd snap the KSC75 drivers into and out of the sportapro band and KSC75 earhooks.

Warning!! the drivers can only be snapped in and out a few times before the ball/socket joint wears out.
post #26 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yes... I did that for a while. and used them interchangeably. I'd snap the KSC75 drivers into and out of the sportapro band and KSC75 earhooks.

Warning!! the drivers can only be snapped in and out a few times before the ball/socket joint wears out.
Thanks for the heads-up on the wear factor!
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel
Thanks for the heads-up on the wear factor!
i put a bunch of nail polish on the ball.

mine is pretty worn down, sigh i guess its time to buy another one... or 2
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopsang
i put a bunch of nail polish on the ball.

mine is pretty worn down, sigh i guess its time to buy another one... or 2
ultra ninja mod!

if the ball is WAY down, put some nail polish on the ball, and RIGHT before it gets hard (so it's still a BIT sticky) wrap that ball with a tiny square of saran wrap, folded a few times to bulk up. the wrap will wrap around the ball, stick to it, and will pop right into the clip/band socket and stay put. Adds thickness but still just as reversible and re-applicable as all other mods!
post #29 of 30

Get Parts-Express mini headphones, and swap out the Parts-Express drivers for the KSC75s or KSC35s, and toss the Parts-Express drivers out, and boom, you got KSC75s or KSC35s with a headband.

post #30 of 30

Also, Portapro drivers will fit in a UR40 housing, right? Because I'm hopefully getting some Portapros soon and may try swapping the drivers into the UR's housing in order to resurrect the 'phones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › KSC75 Headband Mod - Which is Best???