Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Genius Loves Company SACD v. Monster???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Genius Loves Company SACD v. Monster???

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Now, I sadly do not own this album.

With that in mind I was looking through amazon for some CDs when I cam across this:



and this:




Anyone have any experience with either one? Which one is better? Sound, etc. Please comment.
post #2 of 13
I have the second one... It's a fantastic album. I'd be very curious to hear the high definition stereo layer of the first one.

Oh wait, mine is just the regular redbook not the SACD....
post #3 of 13
I have the SACD hybrid, and it is very good...but since I haven't heard the redbook version, I make that judgement without a relative frame of reference--the redbook could be equally good! Regardless, an easy disc to recommend!
post #4 of 13

So old thread but have we compared the two yet? 

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

I purchased the monster copy because it was on sale for $5.00 at a local store.

 

It's brickwalled and sounds just like the craptacular retail version. Way to go Monster!!!

 

Maybe Monster should stop suing everyone who uses the word "Monster" and other cable makers and reallocate those funds to proper R&D and proper mastering.

post #6 of 13

WTH... Monster is the business of issuing specially remastered music now? Is it just meant for headphones, i.e. Dolby® Headphone Surround, and can't be played back on regular 2 channel systems? Their description http://www.monstermusic.com/superdisc.asp seems all very confusing.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

I purchased the monster copy because it was on sale for $5.00 at a local store.

 

It's brickwalled and sounds just like the craptacular retail version. Way to go Monster!!!

 

Maybe Monster should stop suing everyone who uses the word "Monster" and other cable makers and reallocate those funds to proper R&D and proper mastering.


Thanks LFF, that is a real bummer.

 

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

WTH... Monster is the business of issuing specially remastered music now? Is it just meant for headphones, i.e. Dolby® Headphone Surround, and can't be played back on regular 2 channel systems? Their description http://www.monstermusic.com/superdisc.asp seems all very confusing.



It is if you have never purchased one of their craptacular releases. I'll be sure to let you borrow one of mine when I see you next.

post #9 of 13

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

It is if you have never purchased one of their craptacular releases. I'll be sure to let you borrow one of mine when I see you next.

 

I was hoping for a Dr. Dre re-mixed and re-mastered release of the Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas featuring Marshall Mathers.

post #10 of 13

IMO Monster's products are mediocre at best, their marketing untruthful and their business strategy predatory. If there was ever a company the world didn't need, it's them.

post #11 of 13

Some of their stuff is very nice if you don't pay retail. I love their speaker cable connectors. http://www.amazon.com/QuickLock-MKII-Connectors-Crimping-Terminations/dp/B000WXAX6G

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

WTH... Monster is the business of issuing specially remastered music now? Is it just meant for headphones, i.e. Dolby® Headphone Surround, and can't be played back on regular 2 channel systems? Their description http://www.monstermusic.com/superdisc.asp seems all very confusing.


They've been making discs for more than 6+ years now.  Usually a few annual selections, that's it.  Many are actually mastered by Noel Lee himself apparently.  They have a tiny, largely ignored display at Frys usually by the home theater section.

 

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

 

I was hoping for a Dr. Dre re-mixed and re-mastered release of the Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas featuring Marshall Mathers.


Sorry dude! I only have a properly restored and mastered master tape of "A Charlie Brown Christmas"....no beats brickwalled MM Dr. Dre's boner version here.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Many are actually mastered by Noel Lee himself apparently. 

 


Looks (sounds like as well) like that Monster has no ears.

 


Edited by LFF - 11/23/11 at 3:35pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Genius Loves Company SACD v. Monster???