Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › what is best headphone amplifier in the world?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what is best headphone amplifier in the world? - Page 3

post #31 of 78
For Solid State, the LaRocco Headcode DM
For tube, the Cary 300SEI
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ
You can't beat the direct connection (just thought I had to point this out one more time... ). 100 times higher accuracy than the best available amp at 1/100 (or less) of its price.
.
That's true, but i'm sure you know that we need gain somewhere in any audio chain, especially with phones like HD650 or K701.

Following your logic i should try to wire my headphone directly to a phono cartridge, the most direct connection i can think of.
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergill
That's true, but i'm sure you know that we need gain somewhere in any audio chain, especially with phones like HD650 or K701.

Following your logic i should try to wire my headphone directly to a phono cartridge, the most direct connection i can think of.
If the source is a CDP or DAC, we don't need any more gain. Just an output with low serial impedance and high (enough) current capacity. I'm aware that amplification can't be avoided, but the less, the better. Any more than the common 2 volts of a CDP isn't needed, so a headphone amp is actually dispensable -- particularly if you want maximal signal accuracy. -- You know very well that your phono-cartridge scenario doesn't do my direct-connection idea justice; it's more or less a red herring to make you feel better about your Manley...
.
post #34 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat39
For Solid State, the LaRocco Headcode DM
For tube, the Cary 300SEI
I wonder how good it actually is the Cary 300SEI as a headphone amplifier? It is definitely beyond praise. But there is no specific description or comparisons with other headphone amplifiers.
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnB180
regardless of price.
What would you consider the best headphone amplifier in the world?
would it be the headroom max amp?
A possible answer for you lies in the 2/24/06 Saturday Cincinnati Meet impressions.
post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonwu
I wonder how good it actually is the Cary 300SEI as a headphone amplifier? It is definitely beyond praise. But there is no specific description or comparisons with other headphone amplifiers.
Digital Bill had a Cary 300SEI to several meets and it is on par with my EC 2A3/300B when in 300B mode. He has since sold it. However, the Zana blows it away, easily.
post #37 of 78
A maxxed out boosteroo biamplified V6.89.

Kicks butt and takes names.
post #38 of 78
Shouldnt the Berning Microzotl be mentioned?
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitese
Shouldnt the Berning Microzotl be mentioned?
It's a great amp but far from the best.
post #40 of 78
Does SFT Dynamight have a website? How much does it cost? Specs?
post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ
...You know very well that your phono-cartridge scenario doesn't do my direct-connection idea justice; it's more or less a red herring to make you feel better about your Manley...
.
Of course i was teasing you - don't be afraid about amp stages - sometime you can get very close or even better than the fabled "wire with gain".
Do you really think i need to argue over the internet to feel better about my stuff!? JaZZ, please, listening is enough.
post #42 of 78
After to have discovered an integrated amp with a so hi qualiti headphones output, I have changed a lot my mind regard all the "dedicated" amp for cans...

Best!
Nicola
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ
Tried it, tested it and found it to be far from neutral and accurate.
.
What did you find "colored" about it?
post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergill
Of course i was teasing you - don't be afraid about amp stages - sometime you can get very close or even better than the fabled "wire with gain".
Not sure how «very close» is... but I don't doubt that you can make the sound even «better» with additional electronics than from a wire with gain, i.e. the original signal. But why invest that much in euphony, thus self-deception?!


Quote:
Do you really think i need to argue over the internet to feel better about my stuff!? JaZZ, please, listening is enough.
You see, if you can tease me, I can do the same...


Honestly, I'm not a pure purist myself. I use a headphone amp as well, although I could renounce it. Why? Firstly, because it sounds a bit «better» (let's call it more organic and forgiving!) than the direct connection to my Bel Canto DAC2 (although, of course, less accurate and inferior in the single «technically» criteria). And secondly, because my McCormack UDP-1 doesn't allow direct connection because of its high output impedance. I would be happy if it would, because what I can hear from the (unfortunately) too low output signal is of highest delicacy and accuracy. So the UDP-1 through a good headphone amp sounds better than the direct connection to the DAC2.

Nevertheless, my point is: The «better» the sound created by the amp, the greater the chance that it's farther away from the original signal -- on a certain price level, well understood (this my experience so far). That's not the «price» I'm ready to pay for euphony.

(I'd like to point out that I exclude the potential quality gain through balanced drive from these direct-connection considerations.)
.
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by xand1x
What did you find "colored" about it?
The smilie indicates that you think accusing the DynaMight of being colored be absurd. Based on what?
.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › what is best headphone amplifier in the world?