Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › LFF's MUSIC PICK OF THE WEEK (02-19-2006)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LFF's MUSIC PICK OF THE WEEK (02-19-2006) - Page 2

post #16 of 28
Thanks for this thread LFF.

So far I had only heard 3 different versions and settled on the Karajan Berlin PO recording, but I will be checking out a few of these as well.

Cheers
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmind
Thanks for this thread LFF.

So far I had only heard 3 different versions and settled on the Karajan Berlin PO recording, but I will be checking out a few of these as well.

Cheers
Hey, no problem whatsoever.

I hope you enjoy your journey for the perfect requiem.
post #18 of 28
Hehe

the quest for the perfect requiem...another good excuse to sit and listen to good music

Cheers
post #19 of 28
Thread revival:

So I went down to the local record store to check out their collection of Requiems. I was mainly looking for the Harncourt and Hogwood recordings, but it turns out that they don't have the Harncourt, so I left with the Hogwood. Now I have three Requiems: the Karajan, the Marriner, and the Hogwood. Based on some preliminary impressions, I find myself preferring the Marriner and Hogwood recordings to the Karajan, although I haven't listented to the Marriner and the Hogwood enough to say which one I prefer more.
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanflyz
Thread revival:

So I went down to the local record store to check out their collection of Requiems. I was mainly looking for the Harncourt and Hogwood recordings, but it turns out that they don't have the Harncourt, so I left with the Hogwood. Now I have three Requiems: the Karajan, the Marriner, and the Hogwood. Based on some preliminary impressions, I find myself preferring the Marriner and Hogwood recordings to the Karajan, although I haven't listented to the Marriner and the Hogwood enough to say which one I prefer more.
Cool!!! Thanks for the thread revival. The Marriner and Hogwood recordings are fantastic and that's a fact. As I mentioned before, Karajan is my least favorite. Wait until you hear Harnoncourt or the Mackerras.

I recently purchased a few more requiems but I have not had the time to really sit down and nit pick them. When I do, I will add them to this thread.
post #21 of 28

This thread is incredible. It deserves to be revived after 6 years. More people need to see this.

 

I have a couple of questions, though. What are your thoughts of the following recordings of Requiem? and what edition do they belong to?

Sir Colin Davis, Mozart: Requiem; Choral Works

Slovakia Philharmonic Orchestra, Mozart: Requiem

- St Olaf Choir/St Paul Chamber Orchestra, Mozart Requiem/Sussmayr (I do know what edition this istongue_smile.gif)

 

Since you mentioned your favorite recording of both the Beyer edition and the Levin edition. What is the best recording of Syssmayr edition in your opinion?

 

Thanks again.

post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FABZ View Post

This thread is incredible. It deserves to be revived after 6 years. More people need to see this.

 

I have a couple of questions, though. What are your thoughts of the following recordings of Requiem? and what edition do they belong to?

Sir Colin Davis, Mozart: Requiem; Choral Works

Slovakia Philharmonic Orchestra, Mozart: Requiem

- St Olaf Choir/St Paul Chamber Orchestra, Mozart Requiem/Sussmayr (I do know what edition this istongue_smile.gif)

 

Since you mentioned your favorite recording of both the Beyer edition and the Levin edition. What is the best recording of Syssmayr edition in your opinion?

 

Thanks again.


All three of those are the traditional Mozart/Sussmayr edition.

 

My favorite traditional version is this one:

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000004137/ref=cm_bg_d_2/002-4582930-3686454?v=glance

post #23 of 28

Why don't you regularly recc music anymore?

post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaos974 View Post

Why don't you regularly recc music anymore?


I always do...I just don't write reviews anymore.

 

I have three jobs, two dogs and a wife. My free time is very limited. I am thinking about writing an article monthly about music in general and what to use as a reference test disc, etc.

 

I'll start the monthly articles after I finish writing my current review for a new custom IEM.

post #25 of 28

Hi LFF,

 

How do we sign up for this article???

 

Tnx,

Mike

post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

Hi LFF,

 

How do we sign up for this article???

 

Tnx,

Mike


Just google me.  I have a Sinatra post up that will be updated as time goes by.


Working on a full article to be put up early next week.

post #27 of 28

Yep, awesome recommendations.

 

Subscribing to LFF's blog. 

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaos974 View Post

Why don't you regularly recc music anymore?


I always do...I just don't write reviews anymore.

 

I have three jobs, two dogs and a wife. My free time is very limited. I am thinking about writing an article monthly about music in general and what to use as a reference test disc, etc.

 

I'll start the monthly articles after I finish writing my current review for a new custom IEM.

 

Yeah, that's good, you did contribute a lot to the community.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › LFF's MUSIC PICK OF THE WEEK (02-19-2006)