- 716 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: The most beautiful country in the world
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- K601 driver same as K501? Last post on 6/6/12 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K501 & 601. Last post on 9/3/11 at 1:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG k240 mkII - looking for upgrade - [Solved] AKG k702 Last post on 6/24/13 at 5:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- The human ear's frequency response Last post on 4/17/11 at 2:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
INTRODUCTION Being a fan of the RHA MA750 (RHA's first flagship IEM), I was quite excited to hear when RHA released the T10i. The new stainless shells, novel "memory wire" implementation,...
Audiosense is a new headphone brand in China which surprisingly produces many qualities headphones. The model V2mix4 comes from 4 drivers which are the combination of dynamic drivers and balanced...
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Sorry for my bad English and short impressions. Z7s highs are roll offed. Z7 sounds fatigue free for long listening session. Comfortability is also very good. Z7 sounds analog-ish. when you...
Introduction: CustomArt is a relatively new custom IEM company that has very quickly grew into one of the big names in business. Hailing from Poland, the company has a well-respected line of...
AKG K501 - potential classic? - Page 4post #46 of 587/17/13 at 11:07amHere we are, 7 years after the thread was started. Has k501 become a classic already?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 587/17/13 at 9:34pmpost #48 of 587/17/13 at 11:43pm
I agree. These days It has a bigger classic status than any other AKG model, save the k1000, IMHO.post #49 of 587/18/13 at 9:39am
The only objection - the new K712 outrank him, for some kind of music the K501 is very good, but the K712 offers more natural ringing bass and more audible silky highs.
In some years the AKG K/Q 7xx family are a classic too.post #50 of 587/18/13 at 10:10amQuote:
But how is the tonality of the k712? I find the tonality of k701 a little bit awkward. It is not as "real" sounding as k501.post #51 of 587/18/13 at 10:48amQuote:
Awkward in what direction? I find the tonality of the K712 correct. The K501 is at some kind of music a bit thin in the direct comparison with the K712.
Please look at my K712 test reviews
At his time the K501 was a very great headphone - so he is a classic for me. The K501 remember more to the sound balance of a K1000 as to an K701/Q701/K712. I had the chance to compare K501 and K1000 direkt - so as K1000 with K701, Q701, Denon AH D7000 too
D7000 and K1000 are Yin and Yang on a high level.
At the moment I hear "Max Lässer & Das Überlandorchester, Überländer" with my K712 - a very infectious rhythm.
Edited by FritzS - 7/18/13 at 11:01ampost #52 of 587/18/13 at 11:30am
In direct comparision with k501 I find k701 to have too forward mids. Not only that, the mids have very strange tonality. Acoustic instruments on k701 don't sound as "real" as on k501 to me. It is the timbre of the instruments that is somehow off. k701 seem to have a better separation of instruments and better imaging but everything sounds less natural and real, less engaging. k701 is still a great headphone but I enjoy k501 more. I haven't heard k712 yet.post #53 of 587/18/13 at 11:45am
The K 701 I heard didn't really have any coloration in the mids - no 2 kHz peak - except for the overall shape of the response in the mids being tilted towards the bass. Would not call them a great headphone, though, for sure.post #54 of 587/18/13 at 2:41pmQuote:
Have you got the HD600 yet? I am not really sure you are going to like it.post #55 of 587/18/13 at 3:29pm
They're somewhere in Germany at the moment. I might have liked the 701 without the massive treble peak that my pair had, and maybe a bit less of a 100 Hz bump as well would've been nice, which is something I guess the HD 600 have, too. But I'm generally interested in how the Unipolar do against what are today considered good mid-fi cans, and the 600 count towards that.post #56 of 587/18/13 at 3:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by vid
They're somewhere in Germany at the moment. I might have liked the 701 without the massive treble peak that my pair had, and maybe a bit less of a 100 Hz bump as well would've been nice, which is something I guess the HD 600 have, too. But I'm generally interested in how the Unipolar do against what are today considered good mid-fi cans, and the 600 count towards that.
I see. Have you heard DT880 and HE400? Maybe something to consider?post #57 of 587/18/13 at 3:55pm
Could try the HE-500 at some point, but I think vintage Stax might win out...
I do like the vintage DT 990, which, from what I gather, should be similar to the DT 880 without the treble emphasis, so I might just leave the Beyers at that.
The K 500 for sure is something I'll be having.
- AKG K501 - potential classic?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sleeping headphones Kokoon 27 seconds ago
- › cables are placebo 1 minute ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 2 minutes ago
- › NuForce Udac-2 + Usb isolator, will it work? 2 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Custom Art's First Foray into Acrylic CIEMs: Ei.3 3 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 3 minutes ago
- › iDAC2 launching with a bang! Competition with MEGA goodies. Gotta... 4 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by speedsters
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)