- 715 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: The most beautiful country in the world
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- K601 driver same as K501? Last post on 6/6/12 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K501 & 601. Last post on 9/3/11 at 1:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG k240 mkII - looking for upgrade - [Solved] AKG k702 Last post on 6/24/13 at 5:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- The human ear's frequency response Last post on 4/17/11 at 2:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
AKG K501 - potential classic? - Page 4post #46 of 587/17/13 at 11:07amHere we are, 7 years after the thread was started. Has k501 become a classic already?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 587/17/13 at 9:34pmpost #48 of 587/17/13 at 11:43pm
I agree. These days It has a bigger classic status than any other AKG model, save the k1000, IMHO.post #49 of 587/18/13 at 9:39am
The only objection - the new K712 outrank him, for some kind of music the K501 is very good, but the K712 offers more natural ringing bass and more audible silky highs.
In some years the AKG K/Q 7xx family are a classic too.post #50 of 587/18/13 at 10:10amQuote:
But how is the tonality of the k712? I find the tonality of k701 a little bit awkward. It is not as "real" sounding as k501.post #51 of 587/18/13 at 10:48amQuote:
Awkward in what direction? I find the tonality of the K712 correct. The K501 is at some kind of music a bit thin in the direct comparison with the K712.
Please look at my K712 test reviews
At his time the K501 was a very great headphone - so he is a classic for me. The K501 remember more to the sound balance of a K1000 as to an K701/Q701/K712. I had the chance to compare K501 and K1000 direkt - so as K1000 with K701, Q701, Denon AH D7000 too
D7000 and K1000 are Yin and Yang on a high level.
At the moment I hear "Max Lässer & Das Überlandorchester, Überländer" with my K712 - a very infectious rhythm.
Edited by FritzS - 7/18/13 at 11:01ampost #52 of 587/18/13 at 11:30am
In direct comparision with k501 I find k701 to have too forward mids. Not only that, the mids have very strange tonality. Acoustic instruments on k701 don't sound as "real" as on k501 to me. It is the timbre of the instruments that is somehow off. k701 seem to have a better separation of instruments and better imaging but everything sounds less natural and real, less engaging. k701 is still a great headphone but I enjoy k501 more. I haven't heard k712 yet.post #53 of 587/18/13 at 11:45am
The K 701 I heard didn't really have any coloration in the mids - no 2 kHz peak - except for the overall shape of the response in the mids being tilted towards the bass. Would not call them a great headphone, though, for sure.post #54 of 587/18/13 at 2:41pmQuote:
Have you got the HD600 yet? I am not really sure you are going to like it.post #55 of 587/18/13 at 3:29pm
They're somewhere in Germany at the moment. I might have liked the 701 without the massive treble peak that my pair had, and maybe a bit less of a 100 Hz bump as well would've been nice, which is something I guess the HD 600 have, too. But I'm generally interested in how the Unipolar do against what are today considered good mid-fi cans, and the 600 count towards that.post #56 of 587/18/13 at 3:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by vid
They're somewhere in Germany at the moment. I might have liked the 701 without the massive treble peak that my pair had, and maybe a bit less of a 100 Hz bump as well would've been nice, which is something I guess the HD 600 have, too. But I'm generally interested in how the Unipolar do against what are today considered good mid-fi cans, and the 600 count towards that.
I see. Have you heard DT880 and HE400? Maybe something to consider?post #57 of 587/18/13 at 3:55pm
Could try the HE-500 at some point, but I think vintage Stax might win out...
I do like the vintage DT 990, which, from what I gather, should be similar to the DT 880 without the treble emphasis, so I might just leave the Beyers at that.
The K 500 for sure is something I'll be having.
- AKG K501 - potential classic?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 57 seconds ago
- › FS: Dunu DN-1000 1 minute ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › how is spacial imaging increased for iems? 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Custom Beats 2 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude