- 716 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: The most beautiful country in the world
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- K601 driver same as K501? Last post on 6/6/12 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K501 & 601. Last post on 9/3/11 at 1:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG k240 mkII - looking for upgrade - [Solved] AKG k702 Last post on 6/24/13 at 5:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- The human ear's frequency response Last post on 4/17/11 at 2:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are also known as the monoprice 8323's. I have these for nearly 2 years. I bought them a few months after my faithfull 8323's. Pros - for the price they deliver the highest quality...
Let me start this review with some information about the company that made these headphones, Philips. The company that invented the CD, the first radio etc. As a Dutch guy, I'm very connected with...
I'll start off by saying I am by no means an audiophile, just a kid with some money and a passion for music. These headphones, as far as I can tell, have more prominent mids than most...
Let me just say one thing up front: if you have any complaints about the speed or the bass extension of these headphones, you need a better headphone amp. /endofdiscussion The HD600s will take the...
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bass tilt. Highs and lows are well extended. Sound stage is large for an iem. The bass has some impact without being boomy. The treble is clear without...
AKG K501 - potential classic? - Page 4post #46 of 587/17/13 at 11:07amHere we are, 7 years after the thread was started. Has k501 become a classic already?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 587/17/13 at 9:34pmpost #48 of 587/17/13 at 11:43pm
I agree. These days It has a bigger classic status than any other AKG model, save the k1000, IMHO.post #49 of 587/18/13 at 9:39am
The only objection - the new K712 outrank him, for some kind of music the K501 is very good, but the K712 offers more natural ringing bass and more audible silky highs.
In some years the AKG K/Q 7xx family are a classic too.post #50 of 587/18/13 at 10:10amQuote:
But how is the tonality of the k712? I find the tonality of k701 a little bit awkward. It is not as "real" sounding as k501.post #51 of 587/18/13 at 10:48amQuote:
Awkward in what direction? I find the tonality of the K712 correct. The K501 is at some kind of music a bit thin in the direct comparison with the K712.
Please look at my K712 test reviews
At his time the K501 was a very great headphone - so he is a classic for me. The K501 remember more to the sound balance of a K1000 as to an K701/Q701/K712. I had the chance to compare K501 and K1000 direkt - so as K1000 with K701, Q701, Denon AH D7000 too
D7000 and K1000 are Yin and Yang on a high level.
At the moment I hear "Max Lässer & Das Überlandorchester, Überländer" with my K712 - a very infectious rhythm.
Edited by FritzS - 7/18/13 at 11:01ampost #52 of 587/18/13 at 11:30am
In direct comparision with k501 I find k701 to have too forward mids. Not only that, the mids have very strange tonality. Acoustic instruments on k701 don't sound as "real" as on k501 to me. It is the timbre of the instruments that is somehow off. k701 seem to have a better separation of instruments and better imaging but everything sounds less natural and real, less engaging. k701 is still a great headphone but I enjoy k501 more. I haven't heard k712 yet.post #53 of 587/18/13 at 11:45am
The K 701 I heard didn't really have any coloration in the mids - no 2 kHz peak - except for the overall shape of the response in the mids being tilted towards the bass. Would not call them a great headphone, though, for sure.post #54 of 587/18/13 at 2:41pmQuote:
Have you got the HD600 yet? I am not really sure you are going to like it.post #55 of 587/18/13 at 3:29pm
They're somewhere in Germany at the moment. I might have liked the 701 without the massive treble peak that my pair had, and maybe a bit less of a 100 Hz bump as well would've been nice, which is something I guess the HD 600 have, too. But I'm generally interested in how the Unipolar do against what are today considered good mid-fi cans, and the 600 count towards that.post #56 of 587/18/13 at 3:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by vid
They're somewhere in Germany at the moment. I might have liked the 701 without the massive treble peak that my pair had, and maybe a bit less of a 100 Hz bump as well would've been nice, which is something I guess the HD 600 have, too. But I'm generally interested in how the Unipolar do against what are today considered good mid-fi cans, and the 600 count towards that.
I see. Have you heard DT880 and HE400? Maybe something to consider?post #57 of 587/18/13 at 3:55pm
Could try the HE-500 at some point, but I think vintage Stax might win out...
I do like the vintage DT 990, which, from what I gather, should be similar to the DT 880 without the treble emphasis, so I might just leave the Beyers at that.
The K 500 for sure is something I'll be having.
- AKG K501 - potential classic?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Band Name Game II 1 second ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 43 seconds ago
- › Leonard Nimoy aka Spock has passed 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser CH 800 S Balanced Headphone Cable 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3