Thanks! I will try the tape mod this week.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I need help Last post on 7/25/11 at 4:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Good headset for rock(genre) $500 SGD Last post on 7/17/11 at 6:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- K702 bass vs Grado Last post on 6/23/11 at 7:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- :"Woodied" Grado Review and Impressions Thread Last post on 12/7/14 at 10:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Why do people like Grados so much? Last post on 11/18/13 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 12/30/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I would like to thank Christian from plusSound for providing the X8 GPC in return for my honest opinion. Introduction PlusSound started making cables around 2012, and has consistently been...
I've recentlty bougth them for office. All i wanted was a pair of fairly decent cans within the budget ive prepaired for this occasion. Unboxing was a surprise, in the package we get a nice pair...
If you are a bass head and like still like to hear to rest of the music, then this Burson V4 could be for you. Charles at Burson had offered the V5 in exchange for a honest evaluation. I did...
Preamble: Founded just last year in 2015, ORIVETI (http://www.oriveti.com/) is still a new company on the market that is however not new to the audio business, having members in their...
Sometimes I have a strong desire to start a review with a conclusion, and then explain everything in more details. This time I think I'll follow this urge. So, OPUS#2 from theBit became for me one...
Grado SR225 Thread - Page 33
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #482 of 82112/16/13 at 12:58pmpost #483 of 82112/16/13 at 1:04pmpost #484 of 82112/16/13 at 1:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by brianbeers
Cups / Headband / Gimbal from MCA
Moon Audio Blue Dragon Cable
Thank you Martin! Gorgeous Work!
Martin made these 225is last year but they are now living the good life in Italy!
I like your cups more!
Edited by parbaked - 12/16/13 at 1:20pmpost #485 of 82112/16/13 at 4:05pm
Omg how much it cost the mods for the 225i???? i only have the 225i and dont know how could sound a better HP like rs1 but it worth the investment? it looks absolutely gorgeous.
make me think that the 225i are a really awesome headphone if people are willing to mod the headphones like this.post #486 of 82112/16/13 at 4:06pmpost #487 of 82112/16/13 at 4:17pm
Yes, the 225i is basically the same quality (matching) of driver as the RS1.
The price difference is mainly from wood cups, metal gimbals and leather headband.
Whatever doping grado performs on the drivers does not impact cost much IMO.
So if you buy 225i, you have $500 to play with until it reaches the cost of a RS1.
If you get Martin's beautiful hand turned (not CNC) cups, leather headband, metal gimbals and fancy cable,you can spend more than the RS1 but you have a beautiful one of a kind piece of art headphone.
You can also buy CNC wood cups and mod your 225 but Martin's work is both special and more expensive and worth it...post #488 of 82112/16/13 at 4:39pmpost #489 of 82112/16/13 at 4:52pmpost #490 of 82112/16/13 at 5:08pmQuote:
The 225i uses the same drivers as the RS1 but these features of the RS1 improve sound beyond what any modification can do:
1. The RS1 cups are one piece of CNC machined wood, not two pieces of plastic glued together.
2. The RS1 cups are larger than the 225i and larger + bigger, better sound. This is also the most important difference between the RS1 and RS2, which has smaller cups.
Martin can hand turn you one piece cups that are more beautiful and can be larger or smaller than RS1 cups.
He can also dope your drivers or punch holes to tailor the SQ to your preference.
It is not fair to say the MCA cans are better or not better than Grado RS1, but they are more unique and can be more beautiful.post #491 of 82112/16/13 at 5:16pm
thanks for your words man. and yea what i meant was if 225 modded sound similar to a rs1.
im not sure if next year i will upgrade to an rs1 was my first thing to do with extra money but now if the mods can make it sound close to the rs1, i will look out and check the cost of it. and i can have a improved sound a gorgeous design headphone and unique.post #492 of 82112/16/13 at 5:20pm
When you get to this point, it is really about if you want to have a stock Grado or a one of a kind hand made headphone.
I would be wrong to say one sounds better than the other. It just depends what you want.
I would be happy with a stock RS1 or a unique MCA! Neither hurts at all!post #493 of 82112/26/13 at 9:11am
I'm having a few niggling issues with my new SR 225s. They don't sound as good as I think they should,. I'm listening unamped from a laptop source (lenovo y580, realtek HD onboard audio).
I'm using a super cheap 1/4 to 1/8 adapter from radio shack that I think may be the most pressing issue atm, though. I wanna buy the grado mini adapter because they promise no loss in sound quality but I can't buy that one on Amazon and I'd rather just use prime.
So my question is, is the sennheiser adapter the same thing? Will there be any difference at all? Will I notice a difference from the radio shack adapter?
post #494 of 82112/26/13 at 9:24amQuote:
The most important part of the Grado adapter design is that it is made of two parts connected by a cable.
This design puts much less stress on the 1/8" (3.5mm) mini jacks on many DAPs, portable amps or smart phones.
The idea is that the weight of a 1/4" plug plus adapter will put more torque on the mini-jack than a simple 1/8 plug.
With the Grado, only the little mini plug is stressing the mini jack.
There should not be any sonic difference between Grado and the Sennheiser or Radio Shack, unless one is faulty...post #495 of 82112/28/13 at 12:49pm
- Grado SR225 Thread
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Focal Listen Impressions and Review 2 seconds ago
- › Dac/Amp for smartphone vs Dedicated Dap 1 minute ago
- › Objectivists board room 1 minute ago
- › WTB Audio-GB NFB-11 2 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 4 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 5 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 6 minutes ago
- › PlusSound X8 IEM Cable by flinkenick
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by d1554573r
- › Supreme Sound Opamp V4 by snellemin
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by HiFiChris
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by cleg
- › Meze 11 Neo by mgunin
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by Dsnuts
- › Audeze iSine 10 by neilmanalo
- › Stax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeaker by audiophilehe400
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Delance26
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear