Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K501 love...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K501 love... - Page 44

post #646 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
The 501 needs tons of current to shine.
Would you say that a WA2 (or any other OTL amp) would have enough current to drive them? I don't feel that I get everything out of my k501 driven from the WA2. Thinking that maybe it's just my ears, that don't fit with the sound signature of these cans. Well, for some recordings they're doing fine, mostly acoustic material and well recorded vocals. But still I don't think they sound very full in the low and lower mid range (the k601 pads make them better, but still...

I'm thinking about letting them go, but still there's something special about their sound, that I don't get from my other cans.
post #647 of 991
That's the sound signature of the K501 I think. The mids are a bit on the lean side.
post #648 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarian View Post
Would you say that a WA2 (or any other OTL amp) would have enough current to drive them? I don't feel that I get everything out of my k501 driven from the WA2. Thinking that maybe it's just my ears, that don't fit with the sound signature of these cans. Well, for some recordings they're doing fine, mostly acoustic material and well recorded vocals. But still I don't think they sound very full in the low and lower mid range (the k601 pads make them better, but still...

I'm thinking about letting them go, but still there's something special about their sound, that I don't get from my other cans.
Why not just buy an amp with transformers. WA6, WA4, MAD EAR+, etc.
post #649 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
Why not just buy an amp with transformers. WA6, WA4, MAD EAR+, etc.
Transformers is the answer? Not that it is an option for me at this point. I'm broke! And you know, Oldblueyez, I never can tell, when you really are sarcastic. I'm very happy about your advice to buy hd650 and a tube amp. They sound so great, and they are the ones, I listen to most of the time. I think they do everything good. But when I listen to other cans, I hear a difference, and they are not all bad.
post #650 of 991
Kinda off topic,

Does anybody know when were K400/500/401/501 introduced ?
Were they (K400/500) and (K401/501) sibilings of each other like K601/701 currently?
post #651 of 991
At least in 1991 january (or earlier) was K 400 in production:
http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...5d5209697f.gif

and 01 series are different from 00 series (01 have more bass too):
...'1996
AKG applies for a patent for the Varimotion System, a new diaphragm type divided into various zones of different thickness for better overall response.
The new K Series headphones comprising the K 301 and the Varimotion models K 401 and K 501 are launched.'...
post #652 of 991
And from this link we see that K500 was introduced at 1992:
Audio - My way: Headphoes Vntage - 416 modeli wartych zapamiętania.
post #653 of 991
post #654 of 991
How could I forget this massive profile?

I chose K400 over KX01 series because it's the only AKG headphone I have/had without Varimotion diaphragm, and I got it in mint condition from ebay Germany.
post #655 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cankin View Post
I chose K400 over KX01 series because it's the only AKG headphone I have/had without Varimotion diaphragm'...
I had K400 for many years, but low and highest part was insufficient (making K400 little dull for my ears), so i compensated those 'parts' with EQ (30Hz+6db and 16kHz+3db) and sound was then very appealing, but as we know every extra 'link' is giving little distorsion too...
post #656 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarian View Post
Transformers is the answer? Not that it is an option for me at this point. I'm broke! And you know, Oldblueyez, I never can tell, when you really are sarcastic. I'm very happy about your advice to buy hd650 and a tube amp. They sound so great, and they are the ones, I listen to most of the time. I think they do everything good. But when I listen to other cans, I hear a difference, and they are not all bad.
OTL (Output Transformer less) eg: Raptor, WA2. A tube amp with output transformers will not drive those low impedance cans well, Something like the WA6 and WA4 with output transformers will work better with both low and high impedance headphones.

Makes me happy to know you are enjoying something I helped you find. I saw a picture of a black WA2 not too long ago and it was super nice lookin.

Also, a nice little hybrid would work well with low impedance cans, CTH, Starving Student, EF-1, etc.

EDIT
post #657 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
OTL (Output Transformer less) eg: Raptor, WA2. A tube amp with output transformers will drive those low impedance cans better, eg: WA6, WA4.

Makes me happy to know you are enjoying something I helped you find. I saw a picture of a black WA2 not too long ago and it was super nice lookin.

Also, a nice little hybrid would work well with low impedance cans, CTH, Starving Student, EF-1, etc.
So, the WA2 isn't a very good match for k501, I recon. But OH YES, I'm enjoying WA2 with the HD650. It was great advice! Also thinking about different kinds of cables for HD650. But I guess we should not have that discussion in this thread :-)
post #658 of 991
Still undecided on my next pair of headphones, but seriously considering the K501. My amp is the Darkvoice 332, would this be a good pairing?

Thanks
post #659 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonboy403 View Post
That's the sound signature of the K501 I think. The mids are a bit on the lean side.
Do you own K501s? Because the mids in my K501 are the best thing about it.
post #660 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhp View Post
Do you own K501s? Because the mids in my K501 are the best thing about it.
Yes I did. I didn't say that the K501's mids were bad, but I do feel that they're on the lean side.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K501 love...