Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K501 love...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K501 love... - Page 43

post #631 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonboy403 View Post
I feel that the K501's bass is on the flabby side in comparison to the W5000. A little more quantity for Jazz and Classical wouldn't hurt either.
I haven't heard the W5000 but always thought they would be an easy can to listen to after enjoying the K501. I'm thinking the W5000 is a step up but similar in sound. Besides better bass, what would you say are the strengths/weaknesses of each as compared to each other? Probably not the price/SQ value of the K501 but curious none the less.
post #632 of 975
The 501 sounds great with IQube as well
post #633 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
The 501 sounds great with IQube as well
without a portable amp you mean? I'm surprised that the iQube can drive a k501.
post #634 of 975
the Iqube is a (lightweight, Dutch design) portable headphone amplifier
post #635 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
the Iqube is a (lightweight, Dutch design) portable headphone amplifier
of course! stupid me, i was thinking of a dap...
post #636 of 975
A novice question....

A week ago I bought an almost unused K501 on ebay from a guy who had used it for 3 weeks. I do not have an amp to drive it right now but had ordered an Fiio E5 for my ATH-m50 a few weeks ago (little did I know from hong kong!). It will reach me another few days. My question is: will I benefit from the E5 to drive the K501? I tried using it with my 2nd gen itouch and computer and it sounds very weak (even in volume). What would be a good amp sufficient for the K501 and possibly in the future the denon d2000? around $100-150 range...
post #637 of 975
K501 needs/deserves an amp that's at least $200 relatively speaking.
post #638 of 975
There aren't many good amps in this price range. The best option would be to build yourself runeight's CTH amp, which would run you about 150 including casework. There's someone offering kits to make it easier. If you're not much of a DIYer, you might be able to ask someone to build one for you for around 200 (random guess, don't take my word for it) or wait for a used one on the FS forums.
post #639 of 975
While the Fitz-Max Bada PH-12 ULTRA is having some finishing touches done on it (by Fitz), I'm using the [AK]Zip HA-1, MK.II (a Meier design), and it does a respectable job with both the K501 and the D5000.
post #640 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimless1 View Post
I haven't heard the W5000 but always thought they would be an easy can to listen to after enjoying the K501. I'm thinking the W5000 is a step up but similar in sound. Besides better bass, what would you say are the strengths/weaknesses of each as compared to each other? Probably not the price/SQ value of the K501 but curious none the less.
IMO, the W5000 has a more holograhic soundstage with a lot more depth than the K501 while having a little less width. I feel that the K501's soundstage is less coherent since there are many gaps. Both cans are very fast while having pinpoint imaging with excellent instrument separation.

Regardless of the recording, the K501 portrays you to be in a stadium while the W5000 is recording dependent.

I personally didn't like the lower treble emphasis of the K501 as it gives me a slight headache and makes it perceivably rolled off at the top. The W5000 gives a very smooth and extended treble.

The mids of the two are comparable with the W5000's mids more forward while the K501 leans a bit to the dry side.

Between the two cans, I think it really depends on the person's taste. I prefer the W5000 because it's a much better all-arounder especially after the Fitz mod(F5005). Others might very well prefer the K501 and there's nothing wrong with that.
post #641 of 975
The 501 needs tons of current to shine.
post #642 of 975
For me, the AKG K501 is great with the Audio-gd compass.
post #643 of 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonboy403 View Post
IMO, the W5000 has a more holograhic soundstage with a lot more depth than the K501 while having a little less width. I feel that the K501's soundstage is less coherent since there are many gaps. Both cans are very fast while having pinpoint imaging with excellent instrument separation.

Regardless of the recording, the K501 portrays you to be in a stadium while the W5000 is recording dependent.

I personally didn't like the lower treble emphasis of the K501 as it gives me a slight headache and makes it perceivably rolled off at the top. The W5000 gives a very smooth and extended treble.

The mids of the two are comparable with the W5000's mids more forward while the K501 leans a bit to the dry side.

Between the two cans, I think it really depends on the person's taste. I prefer the W5000 because it's a much better all-arounder especially after the Fitz mod(F5005). Others might very well prefer the K501 and there's nothing wrong with that.
I pretty much agree here. The w5000 is pretty similar but improving in several areas(detail, refinement, and dynamics) imho. However, for some reason the K501 has an edge in terms of how natural it sounds. The W5000 has a very special midrange but is colored in comparison to the K501(I like the coloring though).

There is something very special about the K501. It sounds absolutely to die for out of the Zana Duex. Definitely the best I've ever heard them...and all for $150, they are a great bargain.
post #644 of 975
Thanks for the W5000 impressions, Moonboy. I'm interested enough to get a pair to listen to myself ... and find out for myself. You nudged me over the edge, so to speak.

The K501 is a great can in it's own right, and an incredible value. I seem to love the Grado sound and find the K501 a nice contrast. Don't think I would go so far as to say they put you in a stadium, but certainly not up close and personal ala Grados. The 501's have a sweet midrange, wonderfully wide soundstage and they are fast cans. They have their own magic and are quite alluring in their own right.
post #645 of 975
I slightly prefer K501 over the W5000 with Jazz and acoustics. Everything else goes to W5000.

It's a shame that I wouldn't have a chance to try the K501 with my soon-to-arrive Singlepower Extreme. I used the K501 as part of the trade.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K501 love...