Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › EarMax Silver Edition... do you know it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EarMax Silver Edition... do you know it? - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Rob: Same components as well, apart from the same layout?

I'd like to believe that the EMP AE is a tad better (I have one after all) but makes sense to think they will sound the same.

If I was the UK distributor I'd say exactly the same even if they were sounding almost the same. It's easy to associate a nicer finish (or a more luxurious one, at least), a higher price tag and a limited edition status with a better sound even if they sound very very similar.


Besides "not quite as good" is not saying much. What's wrong? Noise? Harshness? Bass? Where they using same tubes on both?

We won't know about this for sure until some members try both with the same tubes, I guess. Can't wait...
post #17 of 37
Nomad as far as I could tell the components were the same
post #18 of 37
Rob, I have a great deal of respect for your comments but you are clearly wrong here.

I did pay a nice plus for this amp (specially here, in UK) and I refuse to believe I just only paid for a better power supply.

Sure the glass on the valves were demagnetized or something!


PS: But seriously, I would pay it again. I love it. Too good for that small footprint. Thanks for your comments Rob. This is interesting. This makes me think that we probably we'll find the same layout, components AND power supply in the Silver Edition. Time will tell.
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
Rob, I have a great deal of respect for your comments but you are clearly wrong here.

I did pay a nice plus for this amp (specially here, in UK) and I refuse to believe I just only paid for a better power supply.
But you are also getting the piano black finish,flight case and ltd edition status
post #20 of 37
I don't care how much or no differences are inside the chassises. What all I know about are the tonal qualities between EMP and EMP AE are hugely different. EMP AE is simply much better than EMP. The circuit deside of both the amp and the PS should be both important. If the designer only change a bigger power supply, only add one more "pin", then can brings such significant improvement, he is great. Anyways, I do believe there should be a little differences inside the chassis in order to be compatible with the bigger power supply.
Don't lose the power supply, it is as important as the AMP itself, expecially for tube amps.
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonwu
Don't lose the power supply, it is as important as the AMP itself, expecially for tube amps.
Speaking of which...what ever happened to the power supply upgrade project for the EMP your friend in China was working on?
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oski
Speaking of which...what ever happened to the power supply upgrade project for the EMP your friend in China was working on?
Hey, Oski,

the power supply upgrade project is ongoing. I will bring the EraMax Pro to China to my friend this summer. The circuit of the new power supply will be mainly based on the power supply of Morgan Jones's Tube Headphone Amplifier. Make a few change and use high quality components. The new PS will probably be four pins wire (hopefully).

Edison
post #23 of 37
Nomad>Would it be that upsetting for it to be the same as the EMP a.e?

It would give a chance to headfiers who missed out on it on the first place and at a cheaper price.

Now if they built a balanced edition that would be different.
post #24 of 37
EMP AE is totally handmade finished except the circuit board, comes with custom made case, special beefed up power supply (can drives headphone even impedence is lower than 50 Ohm, black Lacquer painting on the chasiss, gold plating on all the contacts, produced in very small quantity with limited efficiency. That makes the price goes high. As for the sound, it is awesome too.
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonwu
EMP AE is totally handmade finished except the circuit board, comes with custom made case, special beefed up power supply (can drives headphone even impedence is lower than 50 Ohm, black Lacquer painting on the chasiss, gold plating on all the contacts, produced in very small quantity with limited efficiency. That makes the price goes high. As for the sound, it is awesome too.

Let's say they wanted to make the same but mass produce it and cut costs via losing the cosmetic niceties. The Earmax silver could be the result.

I think that would be very good for headfiers in the long run. Of course the A.e owners would have the hump.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Let's say they wanted to make the same but mass produce it and cut costs via losing the cosmetic niceties. The Earmax silver could be the result.

I think that would be very good for headfiers in the long run. Of course the A.e owners would have the hump.
I believe the SE is the same as the AE but with chrome cage and silver finish
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Nomad>Would it be that upsetting for it to be the same as the EMP a.e?

It would give a chance to headfiers who missed out on it on the first place and at a cheaper price.

Now if they built a balanced edition that would be different.

I was kidding. I think the smiles and the crazy comments were kind of self-explanatory but it's hard to express these kind of things by writing.

Anyway. It's not upsetting at all. I'm getting a great deal of enjoyment from them and to know there is unlimited availability for some other people at cheaper price are great news.

Besides, I'm using mine at work most of the time and it is nice to know I can find another one easily if somebody steal it from me there or if I want a spare one at home. I plan to buy one for my brother too in the future.

I even prefer the look of this one for the Grado PS-1 I'm looking for at the moment
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob N
I believe the SE is the same as the AE but with chrome cage and silver finish
Me too. And I don't complain at all!

Looking forward for those fist A/B tests.

However I much doubt the glasses of the valves on the Silver Edition are demagnetized
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
Me too. And I don't complain at all!

Looking forward for those fist A/B tests.

However I much doubt the glasses of the valves on the Silver Edition are demagnetized
They use cheap tubes on the EMP SE, same as EMP.

Selected NOS tubes on the EMP AE, which Mr. Brocksieper sells at 150EUR for three tubes.
post #30 of 37
How much is the the Earmax SE in USD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › EarMax Silver Edition... do you know it?