Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure E500 v. Ultimate Ears UE-10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure E500 v. Ultimate Ears UE-10 - Page 3

post #31 of 607
And there goes another 500 dollars from my wallet as they do sound interesting.

A few questions though. How do they compare with the E4 and E5 in terms of its balance in the sound spectrum and the level of detail? Do they fit more like the E5s (i.e. flat), or do they stick out making it impossible to rest on a pillow with them? Finally, how would say that they compare with high end full sized headphones? (That is, like the HD650 and such, not Orpheus)

Even if they are as good as you say, I won't whine about the fact that I went and got myself a pair of E5s, as they have been quite a revelation for me. Not only did I get a better idea of where I want to go with high end auidio equipment (you need to hear the "extremes" before knowing it), but also that the decay on the etymotics is downright atrocious. Having heard the way the shures represent it, I doubt that I can go back. It was annoying while only owning the etys, but now this annoyance has accelerated greatly. They way the E5 manage to blend the notes together in a (very) guitar solo or chord, yet allowing the detail to be heard with just a little focus is beautiful. Not to mention that I will have something to keep me busy with until the E500 is released, which also allows me to wait for reviews from users who has owned for a long while.

Edit: Whoops were writing when that post came, and it answered a lot. Anyway, can you try to describe the amount of the frequencies compared with the E4/5? Is it like the E5 low end with the E4 high end?
post #32 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74
Did anyone do any testing unamped?
I tried these unamped at the MacWorld expo using 5th gen ipod w/lossless files. To me the highs on the ue10 seemed a bit more extended than the e500. The ue10 also had a little more detail.

I think I'll agree and say that the e500 are a little more musical. They remind me of the sensaphonics with a punchier bass and better rhythm. I don't know if I would say they are better than the ue10, just a slightly different sound signature. I'm still looking for the Grado of iem's and these are still not the answer.

I don't know if it's worth it for ue10 owners to go out and buy these because it's a hassle to deal with universal iems after coming from customs, but since they are resellable and returnable, there is no harm done if you can afford it.

If you are first buying a highend iem, I would definately recommend the e500 over ue10. Half the price, sounds just as good or better depending on preference, returnable, and resellable.

Edit: Keep in mind, I only got to listen for 5-10 minutes vs the extended listening of the current thread.
post #33 of 607
It looks like I'll be following these canalphones very closely. They definitely have caught my attention.
post #34 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanK
And there goes another 500 dollars from my wallet as they do sound interesting.

A few questions though. How do they compare with the E4 and E5 in terms of its balance in the sound spectrum and the level of detail? Do they fit more like the E5s (i.e. flat), or do they stick out making it impossible to rest on a pillow with them? Finally, how would say that they compare with high end full sized headphones? (That is, like the HD650 and such, not Orpheus)

Even if they are as good as you say, I won't whine about the fact that I went and got myself a pair of E5s, as they have been quite a revelation for me. Not only did I get a better idea of where I want to go with high end auidio equipment (you need to hear the "extremes" before knowing it), but also that the decay on the etymotics is downright atrocious. Having heard the way the shures represent it, I doubt that I can go back. It was annoying while only owning the etys, but now this annoyance has accelerated greatly. They way the E5 manage to blend the notes together in a (very) guitar solo or chord, yet allowing the detail to be heard with just a little focus is beautiful. Not to mention that I will have something to keep me busy with until the E500 is released, which also allows me to wait for reviews from users who has owned for a long while.

Edit: Whoops were writing when that post came, and it answered a lot. Anyway, can you try to describe the amount of the frequencies compared with the E4/5? Is it like the E5 low end with the E4 high end?
The E500 takes the treble from the E4 and refines it. I want to say smoother, but I don't think that's really the right word. It's more detailed and has better clarity. It just loses the slight edgy roughness that the E4 can sometimes have. The midrange was incredibly sweet, better than either the E4 or E5. The bass was tighter than the E5 with a lot more texture and detail while retaining and improving upon the impact.

As far as how they fit goes: They're shaped more like the E5 than the E4 but they're smoother and don't have any of the hard edges that the E5 has. It's slightly wider (but fits deeper and at a better angle) than the E5 but is smaller in the area (from top to bottom and from side to side) that it takes up in your ear.
post #35 of 607
How much are the E500's expected to actually retail for?
post #36 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
I tried these unamped at the MacWorld expo using 5th gen ipod w/lossless files. To me the highs on the ue10 seemed a bit more extended than the e500. The ue10 also had a little more detail.

I think I'll agree and say that the e500 are a little more musical. They remind me of the sensaphonics with a punchier bass and better rhythm. I don't know if I would say they are better than the ue10, just a slightly different sound signature. I'm still looking for the Grado of iem's and these are still not the answer.

I don't know if it's worth it for ue10 owners to go out and buy these because it's a hassle to deal with universal iems after coming from customs, but since they are resellable and returnable, there is no harm done if you can afford it.

If you are first buying a highend iem, I would definately recommend the e500 over ue10. Half the price, sounds just as good or better depending on preference, returnable, and resellable.

Edit: Keep in mind, I only got to listen for 5-10 minutes vs the extended listening of the current thread.
The are both tripple driver but other than that it seems hard to compare since the cost for each is so out of wack. Have you heard the UM2 or ES2? If so what would you seperates the E500 from them?
post #37 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
I don't know if it's worth it for ue10 owners to go out and buy these because it's a hassle to deal with universal iems after coming from customs, but since they are resellable and returnable, there is no harm done if you can afford it.
Can you explain this futher? Are you just speaking relative to tip usage? If so, the new foams look pretty promising.
post #38 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero
How much are the E500's expected to actually retail for?
Sugarfried quoted $499 with the PtH module.
post #39 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74
The are both tripple driver but other than that it seems hard to compare since the cost for each is so out of wack. Have you heard the UM2 or ES2? If so what would you seperates the E500 from them?
Sorry, I haven't heard those iems. I'm not sure what you mean by hard to compare.
post #40 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
Sorry, I haven't heard those iems. I'm not sure what you mean by hard to compare.
I think he meant that it seems unfair to compare the two since the E500 will be half the price of the UE-10.
post #41 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper994
Can you explain this futher? Are you just speaking relative to tip usage? If so, the new foams look pretty promising.
I'm just saying I can insert and remove my ue10 in about 2 seconds with no problems. With universals, it's a little more hassle. Maybe not much. Actually, uviersals were easier for me to insert than the sensas. Because of the grippy material, it made it a little hard to insert.

Maybe I'm just making excusses to justify my purchase of the ue10 and not getting the e500.
post #42 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
Sorry, I haven't heard those iems. I'm not sure what you mean by hard to compare.
I mean that price points are so far apart that it is almost unfair. When talking portable amps the comparison is usually Xin vs. RS vs. Headroom which all have portable amps that are pretty close to the same price but the E500 is almost half the cost of the UE-10.
post #43 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper994
Only very briefly, it sounded pretty good, but I really didn't listen to them that way for long enough to really form any sort of real opinion. Sorry about that.
I guess I have more of an issue with the title. Because this isn't a true E500 vs. UE-10s. And to my eyes there are going to be things the UE10s will do better then E500s. That is only logical. but this isn't enough experience with E500.

Personally, I am excited that there is another IEM on the market and may force UE, Westone, Ety's, and Sens. to make better products. But I am going to have to throw water on reviews that are based on only a few hours of listening or in one case only an hours worth of listening. I also can't see them having a warmer sound and having more details. These things don't go hand and hand. I find Iamdone review to be alittle more realistic. Also being that he has more experience with IEMs then others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
I'm just saying I can insert and remove my ue10 in about 2 seconds with no problems. With universals, it's a little more hassle. Maybe not much. Actually, uviersals were easier for me to insert than the sensas. Because of the grippy material, it made it a little hard to insert.

Maybe I'm just making excusses to justify my purchase of the ue10 and not getting the e500.
No I find the same is true. I can put the UE-10s in quicker then trying to put in the tri-fl's or the foams.
post #44 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper994
I think he meant that it seems unfair to compare the two since the E500 will be half the price of the UE-10.
Price doesn't always determine quality. Shure can sell them for half the price because they are universal and are marketed to consumers instead of musicians and will be able to sell a lot more to make a profit. The fact that they don't have to hand make every iem is a huge cost savings.
post #45 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I guess I have more of an issue with the title. Because this isn't the E500 vs. UE-10s.
It isn't? Funny I thought I read a few direct comparisons of the E500's and UE-10's in this thread. I guess I must delusional.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure E500 v. Ultimate Ears UE-10