Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › What power cable made you say "holy Sh__"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What power cable made you say "holy Sh__"? - Page 4

post #46 of 66
I've auditioned easily over $20,000 worth of power cables. To be perfectly honest, I can't hear a whole lot of difference. I still own over a dozen pricey power cables though, not so much because they improve my system but rather because 1) I can afford it and 2) it seems wrong to have stock cords on a $16,000 amp FWIW, I am better able to discern differences in interconnects and speaker cables (mostly stuff with different conductor material and geometry).
post #47 of 66
Most recently, the power cord that made me take notice was VH audio AirSine. It was especially surprising to hear the degree of improvement over VH Flavor 4, which I already admire very much. Airsine makes Flavor 4 sound like it has NO treble extension..
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L
Most recently, the power cord that made me take notice was VH audio AirSine. It was especially surprising to hear the degree of improvement over VH Flavor 4, which I already admire very much. Airsine makes Flavor 4 sound like it has NO treble extension..
Whoa, that's impressive, Flavor 4 is good stuff indeed.

Didn't quite make me say holy schmoly, but the Flavor 1 I am still using since April had me say very nice
post #49 of 66
I believe that the best a power cord can offer is to reduce the noise floor, that's if you draw very unclean energy from the wall. Other than that, the difference is very subtle. You're better off investing more $$ on a better interconnect.

Out of my whole setup, my biggest waste probably went to the power cord and power conditioning. They made the least difference.
post #50 of 66
I just got my Signal Cable Magicpower today, and even though it's made from pretty stock stuff (Carol 10/3 and Marinco) im very impressed with it so far.. actually im pretty floored, my Headphone amp is in the shop at hte moment, getting an upgrade, so I hooked it up to my Promedia 5.1's and wow (Previously used Volex 17604) the bass is deeper then i've EVER heard these things go, and the high's are much more refined and clearer.. im pretty shocked, can't wait to try it out on my headphone amp.. im a beleiver in power cords now for sure, the differnce is signifigant. I think what Mark says is true though, it depends alot on your gear, it stands to reason that if you have 10k amps they probably have a massive, high quality built in power supply so cords will make less of a differnce, that might explain why the above fellow can't hear much of a differnce.. 16k amp.. has to have insane power supply. It's also subjective a big differnce to me might not be large to someone else, though I can't understand how someone would call what im hearing right now small by any stretch. And these speakers suck I wouldent be surprized if they could best a stock Promedia Ultra setup with this cord..

Edit: I was thinking of building more of these carol 10/3 cords and realized just how great a deal it actually is from signal cable. The cost is about 35$ to build one, and sells for 59$. Anyone know a place to buy carol 10/3 by the foot instead of spools, I can only find it in 25 foot spools, which cost 30$. This cable is a bargain, really in a different league then the Volex it replaced (all the benefits, without the rolled off highs and lows)
post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraegorn
I believe that the best a power cord can offer is to reduce the noise floor, that's if you draw very unclean energy from the wall. Other than that, the difference is very subtle. You're better off investing more $$ on a better interconnect.

Out of my whole setup, my biggest waste probably went to the power cord and power conditioning. They made the least difference.

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not a big believer in power conditioning but Power Cords made the biggest difference in my system. As big as IC's and maybe a little bit bigger.
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW
Anyone know a place to buy carol 10/3 by the foot instead of spools,
Home Depot sells Carol wire by the foot. I've built two exact duplicates of the MagicPower power cord except I used Carol 12/3 wire. The 10/3 was too bulky and overkill, I thought. The hardest part is getting the heatshrink tubing to look nice and neat. If you don't care about looks and omit the heatshrink and the Techflex, they are much easier to build and will run less than $30 in materials.
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW
it stands to reason that if you have 10k amps they probably have a massive, high quality built in power supply so cords will make less of a differnce, that might explain why the above fellow can't hear much of a differnce.. 16k amp.. has to have insane power supply.
I agree, the high-end amps and CD players have good power supplies so power cords won't make much of a difference. It's cheaper to fix the problem and feed to equipment with clean power instead. My CD player only costs $4000 and amp $5000 and I find no reason at all to upgrade to anything better because what is there to improve? The major problems are power, cables and vibration, fix them first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraegorn
Out of my whole setup, my biggest waste probably went to the power cord and power conditioning. They made the least difference.
It was the opposite with me, every power conditioning upgrade was like upgrading a component in my system. It feels like my amp costs 10 times more now.
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Speaking of power cables

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

Does anyone have any experience with that cable? I'm also wondering whether I can plug that ... thing into my computer PSU
I would ignore the "MSRP" quoted by internet companies like Verrastar and a host of others. Actual selling prices tend to be more like 1/3-1/4 of actual MSRP's quoted.

If you read that ad carefully, the cord uses "99.99% Silver covered 99.999% OFHCC (Oxygen Free High Conductivity Copper)" which is another way of saying mil-spec silver-plated copper in teflon, which is very common and cheap at your local surplus store (or Ebay). Nothing wrong with using this material, but anyone can make a DIY cord using 10 AWG silver-plated copper in teflon wire, use some braided shield, with those plugs.

BTW, the stuff Nordost uses in their higher-end cables is silver-clad copper, which is much more difficult to make and cost a lot more than silver-plated copper.
post #55 of 66
Where did you buy your Marinco plugs? The ones on parts express run about 30 bucks by themselves for the pair (IEC and 3 prong plug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontai69
Home Depot sells Carol wire by the foot. I've built two exact duplicates of the MagicPower power cord except I used Carol 12/3 wire. The 10/3 was too bulky and overkill, I thought. The hardest part is getting the heatshrink tubing to look nice and neat. If you don't care about looks and omit the heatshrink and the Techflex, they are much easier to build and will run less than $30 in materials.
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Huh? What for?
This is amusing. There is exactly as much reason to believe that power cords will improve the performance of a PC as there is reason to believe they will improve the performance of CD player.

I own PS Audio xStream cords. I think they look really cool. I may even have said "Holy sh*t!" when I first picked them up and admired their custom-built connectors and their weight. I recommend xStream power cords.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW
Where did you buy your Marinco plugs? The ones on parts express run about 30 bucks by themselves for the pair (IEC and 3 prong plug)
...plus around 9 bucks for shipping.
Yeah, I got my Marincos at Parts Express. IEC plugs are hard to get at B&M stores, although I've read that some electric supply stores may carry them. Pass & Seymour 5266-X 3-prong plugs (recommended for the Audio Asylum cord) can be found at Home Depot.
http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

If you are anal, I suggest spending the couple extra bucks and get WattGate plugs. They look identical to the Marincos but are finished better and use stainless steel screws.
post #58 of 66
Seems like more trouble then it's worth.. it's gonna cost me at least 40 bucks, for just plain looking cables, plus my time, frankly I think i'd rather just buy signal cable.It's good to know though, if I was ever going to do more then 2 cords it would be worthwhile.
post #59 of 66
Yeah your right, everyone who hear's differnces are just crazy

Die thread crapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHBAT
This is amusing. There is exactly as much reason to believe that power cords will improve the performance of a PC as there is reason to believe they will improve the performance of CD player.

I own PS Audio xStream cords. I think they look really cool. I may even have said "Holy sh*t!" when I first picked them up and admired their custom-built connectors and their weight. I recommend xStream power cords.
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW
Yeah your right, everyone who hear's differnces are just crazy

Die thread crapper
Um. . . I guess this is a joke? I would like to point out that I am in no way "crapping" this thread ("crapping on" it? - I'm not sure what the grammar is here). I am answering the poster's exact question: namely, what cords made me say "Holy shi*t" (reason for judgement unspecified)? My recommendation is not sarcastic. I really do own and enjoy PS Audio xStream Plus power cords and I really do recommend them to anyone else who enjoys power cords.

Also, I do not think that people who believe there are audible differences between different properly connected power cords are crazy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › What power cable made you say "holy Sh__"?