Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › First AKG K701 impressions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First AKG K701 impressions. - Page 29

post #421 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67
When I first got my DT880s (newer version) the sibilance was incredibly annoying on that cd. After burn in it became a lot less of a problem to me, now I can listen to it for hours on end with the Beyers. Could cable burn in help ease the sibilance as well?

markot, which DT880 do you own?
Ditto. I found sibilance evident at times when my DT880's when my DT880's were new, that died away over the burn-in period and now they have 300+ hours on this problem doesn't seem to exist. The sound is smooth and articulate now although slightly bass lite/brightly lit for some tastes. I will be interested to see how the K701 compares when I get around to buying a pair.
post #422 of 431
K701 bass is almost non-existant out of the box.

Quite reminiscent of burn-in for HD 280 Pros.
post #423 of 431
As sacd mentioned, I'm talking about added sibilance, that isn't a part of the recording, yet every person with k1000 seems to either:

a) swear the sibilance a part of the recording (since when does "higher resolution" = sibilance?)
b) get past the honeymoon stage and sell them for cans that don't suffer from this problem

Oh I've had this same argument with a number of head-fiers who own the k1000,.

Yes some recordings sound terrible, but no recording should ever be unlistenable... I am happy to say that my rig don't favour good recordings over bad recordings in the listenability department. That is afterall one of the goals I strived for in putting together my system.

Some low resolution cans hide sibilance, but there are other low resolution cans that increase it. Sibilance is related to the headphones you are using, how clean the power in your rig is, and how smooth your cd player, interconnects and amp are. Its a step my step path to iradicate it from your rig, but once you do, you can stop listening to audiophile crap and go back to all the crapp recordings you missed. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth
Well, I'm sure this is all blue smoke and mirrors to some. I'm just thankful I understand which end is really up and have control over what and how I hear. If what I've shared makes no sense to you, that's ok, it may some day. Until then, regards and happy listening!
Its you who is confused to what is on the recording not me. Listening to omega 2's or my modded ps-1's, each more resolute then the 701's, yet I don't hear this added sibilance on the stax or the grados.

Biggie.
post #424 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
As sacd mentioned, I'm talking about added sibilance, that isn't a part of the recording, yet every person with k1000 seems to either:

a) swear the sibilance a part of the recording (since when does "higher resolution" = sibilance?)
b) get past the honeymoon stage and sell them for cans that don't suffer from this problem

Oh I've had this same argument with a number of head-fiers who own the k1000,.

Yes some recordings sound terrible, but no recording should ever be unlistenable... I am happy to say that my rig don't favour good recordings over bad recordings in the listenability department. That is afterall one of the goals I strived for in putting together my system.

Some low resolution cans hide sibilance, but there are other low resolution cans that increase it. Sibilance is related to the headphones you are using, how clean the power in your rig is, and how smooth your cd player, interconnects and amp are. Its a step my step path to iradicate it from your rig, but once you do, you can stop listening to audiophile crap and go back to all the crapp recordings you missed. ^^



Its you who is confused to what is on the recording not me. Listening to omega 2's or my modded ps-1's, each more resolute then the 701's, yet I don't hear this added sibilance on the stax or the grados.

Biggie.
Whatever you say. If it works for you then that's great.
Cheers!
post #425 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67
When I first got my DT880s (newer version) the sibilance was incredibly annoying on that cd. After burn in it became a lot less of a problem to me, now I can listen to it for hours on end with the Beyers. Could cable burn in help ease the sibilance as well?

markot, which DT880 do you own?
I currently don't own the DT880 anymore, although I have certainly been eyeing the new 880. The DT880's I had were the old version and had WELL over 300 hours of burn in on them.

I guess whenever I didn't have anything to compare them to, they weren't very simbillant. It was always when I had my hands on either a 650 or 600 that I would instantly notice this trait, so partially it may just be a trait that one can get use to. It could very well be the case however that the simbilance issues were fixed with the new DT880.
post #426 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by nierika
K701 bass is almost non-existant out of the box.

Quite reminiscent of burn-in for HD 280 Pros.

I completely agree. Non-existant may sound like a harsh word, but I wouldn't put it any other way. IME, they really had no bass right after coming out of the box.

After 290 hours now, they have all the bass I need. They seemed to develop their full bass output around 150-200 hours. However, the largest change in bass response came in the first 15-20 hours.

These phones have a need for an abnormally large break-in time. With due respect to those who have written their analyses after an adequate break-in, I think it is very important to allow for these phones to break-in before posting impressions - or at least mention the amount of break-in given when posting impressions.
post #427 of 431
With about 25 hours of burn in, the 701s are sounding a lot like the 650s, as I remember them. More even over the spectrum (less bass), but a very similar tone.
post #428 of 431

Break In

I agree. I would draw a distinction between significant change of sound and "completion" of break-in. I heard a significant increase in the bass after two or three hours, but the really pleasing change came at about a hundred hours. The bass wasn't louder, but I heard a big quality change. The flat sound of the kick drum (great bass detail) followed by a fuller blooming of the sound -- a really nice headphone moment. I think the treble has really changed more than the base response since them. From detailed to detailed and smooth. On good recordings, it all sparkles. I spent the whole breakin on a portable Headroom Total Airhed (sourced from my pc, mp3 player, or various cd player/receiver combos) or right out the headphone jack on my Sony receiver (DA777 ES). The receiver must have a pretty good headphone amp because the sound is as good as from the Total Airhead (when place in line from the headphone jack). I'm almost two weeks into waiting for an Corda Aria (Germany to Oregon by mail is for the patient -- I should have asked Dr. Meier about other options for $). I think the sound will improve based on comparison among my limited variety of amplication sources.

By the way, the changes are not psychological. It isn't subtle.
post #429 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutz View Post

"Thats my rant, I wanted to talk about build quality as im fed up spending huge sums of money on much hyped headphones only to find they are tacky feeling things that look like they cost 50pence to produce and need to be treated with more delicacey then your woman on her period less they break, or a wire connection pulls loose etc.
That is one of the most offensive 'sentences' I've seen on Head-Fi. It is ironic that you would make derogatory references to a woman's reproductive cycle (e.g. 'her period') in a run on sentence."

That is one of the most offensive 'sentences' I've seen on Head-Fi. It is ironic that you would make derogatory references to a woman's reproductive cycle (e.g. 'her period') in a run on sentence.
It is not derogatory to suggest that woman may be touchy during her period, if anything it is an insensitive joke. Since you have taken such offense I can only assume you are a feminist/LESBIEN
Either that or a man with little or no experience of woman.

Sens are tacky - beyers for the win. Enjoy your snake oil suckers
post #430 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
I completely agree. Non-existant may sound like a harsh word, but I wouldn't put it any other way. IME, they really had no bass right after coming out of the box.

After 290 hours now, they have all the bass I need. They seemed to develop their full bass output around 150-200 hours. However, the largest change in bass response came in the first 15-20 hours.

These phones have a need for an abnormally large break-in time. With due respect to those who have written their analyses after an adequate break-in, I think it is very important to allow for these phones to break-in before posting impressions - or at least mention the amount of break-in given when posting impressions.
Same experience here. out of box, I was so disappointed. Now, my K701 has about 100 hours, I can feel the bass has improved a lot, but still not enough for what I expected. will wait for another week. I am also waiting for some better tubes for my dv337, right now I am listening with the stock tubes.
post #431 of 431
Will a upgraded millet max work well with a AKG K701? I'm thinking it will since the MAX seems like a powerful amp that will drive the 701's well. Does anyone have this combo?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › First AKG K701 impressions.