New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Akg K400 - Page 7

post #91 of 350
You think so?

Why? These cans are 10-15 years old, the k601 costs 150€s new, i wouldnt pay more than 100€s for a used one of these, so naturally im not going to pay much more than 50 for a k400...
post #92 of 350
Some people like them more than the K601. Quite a few OOP cans go for more than the cost of a similar new can, especially if they've been popularized here. The AKG K1000 is the perfect example. It sold for under $1000 new, but for well over that now. Others that sell for very good prices are the K240 Sextett from the 80s, K501, Yamaha HP-1 and YH-100 from the 70s and 80s. In the last year or 2, the Yamahas have gone from selling for $30-50 to over $100 for the HP-1 and over $200 for the YH-100. I own an HP-1 and it bests most headphones I've heard at twice what they go for now.
post #93 of 350
Hmm, similar thing happened to the vintage NAD-components, especially the "monitor series"...

Too bad its christmas and the seller hasnt yet contacted me - i wanna pick those cans up, this thread got me excited, lol.
post #94 of 350
Got them now, at first i heard some rattle noise during bass-heavy passages, but i hope it was only a hair, at least its gone after cleaning them.

Are the earpads from the K701 compatible with these? (K400)

Id like to get the velours ones, they look cosy.
post #95 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocat View Post
Got them now, at first i heard some rattle noise during bass-heavy passages, but i hope it was only a hair, at least its gone after cleaning them.

Are the earpads from the K701 compatible with these? (K400)

Id like to get the velours ones, they look cosy.
Yes, the K701 pads fit on the K-400. But I recommend the K601 pads. I tried them both on a K-400, and the K601 pads gave a better sound.
post #96 of 350
They're compatible and said to improve the sound of the K501. My conclusion when I did a comparison of the K400, K401, K500, and K501 was that one thing that most effected the sound was the ear pads. Which ever I put my most worn out, soft pads on, were the ones that had the best sound. The pads on my K501 were hard and stiff and barely compressed. The pads on the K400 just barely hold their shape they're so worn. With the stiff pads, all four had significant bass roll off. The worn pads brought the bass up to create a fairly flat FR, very close in signature to K601. I never tried the K701 pads but there was a thread on using them last year.
post #97 of 350
Seriously, does it make a difference?

I might just end up getting the K501s pads, theyre 13€s pair whereas the K701s are 23€.
post #98 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocat View Post
Seriously, does it make a difference?

I might just end up getting the K501s pads, theyre 13€s pair whereas the K701s are 23€.
Like Scompton wrote, the pads make a huge difference. I also tried different pads on K400, K401, K500 and K601, and they all gave a different sound.
I never heard a K501, but the K601 seems to do better on them than the K701 pads.
post #99 of 350
Hm, I thought the rattle noise was away.

Gently blew over the driver to get the dust out, couldn't find a hair on it though.

Right now as i am listening to classical music, i noticed the piano making a high, scratching kind of sound at certain frequencies, even when there is no bass involved.
=> Driver dead?
post #100 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocat View Post
Seriously, does it make a difference?

I might just end up getting the K501s pads, theyre 13€s pair whereas the K701s are 23€.
The K501 pads were the worst. Get either the K601 or K701 pads.
post #101 of 350
My preferred shop only has K501/K701 pads in stock. The K400 ones arent even listed, so I guess the only way to obtain original K400 pads is to contact AKG.

Are the K501s pads very stiff compared to the K400?
And do you have any experience with replacing the drivers (price) on these K400?
post #102 of 350
I don't know that replacement parts are available anywhere. I'm not sure when these when OOP. I'm also not sure what the original pads were like, but I'm pretty sure they weren't like the K501 pads. They were probably closer to the K601 pads because that's what they resemble. The K501 pads are very stiff and very tall, a couple of cm at least. I sold my pair because they were going for a lot of money and I own a K400, K401, K500, and K600.
post #103 of 350
I finally received a pair of these in the mail toady after trying to get my hands on reasonably priced pair for some time as they seemed a nice headphone for jazz. And they are certainly an imrpovement as far as detail and soundtage goes to my A/130s.(This is after a 10 minut listening session)
The only trouble is that the 1/8 jack is a bit damaged, I could just buy a new 1/4 plug but I would like to know if there are any europeans who will offer a recable.
post #104 of 350
I can vouch for the K601 pads as I have Tiemen's K400 now and they are VERY VERY nice...Definitely one of my favorites now..
post #105 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgunder View Post
I finally received a pair of these in the mail toady after trying to get my hands on reasonably priced pair for some time as they seemed a nice headphone for jazz. And they are certainly an imrpovement as far as detail and soundtage goes to my A/130s.(This is after a 10 minut listening session)
The only trouble is that the 1/8 jack is a bit damaged, I could just buy a new 1/4 plug but I would like to know if there are any europeans who will offer a recable.
You may want to post in the DIY forum to reach more potential recablers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)