Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank AudioQuest for providing me with a review sample of their product in exchange for my honest opinion. No matter how much I enjoy listening to...
Read a number of reviews on this pair of headphones before buying, and was quite surprised that no one mentioned the boxy band ( maybe somewhere around 3.5 - 5k ?? ) of upper mids. some songs...
Sony walkman A-10 review PACKAGING : so simple .. just the player,cable and...
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Akg K400 - Page 14post #196 of 35912/20/11 at 12:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 35912/20/11 at 12:50am
I am giving the collectors on this site a few more days. After that the listing is closed...
"Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle" was much more enjoyable i.m.h.o.post #198 of 35912/20/11 at 11:03pm
I think I will recable the K400 instead of selling it. After I picked up the Black Cube Linear last week the sonic ability of the K400 has increased significantly. Plus it is still my favorite headphone from an aesthetic point of view.post #199 of 35912/21/11 at 1:30amQuote:
You don't ever find the K400's mids slightly fatiguing on any amps? I've got the HRT MS II also. Could be my amp and this DAC causing issues. Maybe a weird combination of that and the cable. I love it, but I can't listen to it very long because of this.
I guess I should try the K601 pads, but this time put the foam in.
This is weird because I'm almost never fatigued by mids at all.post #200 of 35912/21/11 at 2:44ampost #201 of 35912/21/11 at 4:32pm
I would not consider the mids to be fatiguing to my ears. They are more elevated than the K500 which is crisper and more linear across the board. My biggest surprise is how well these headphones stand against the HD600/HD800.post #202 of 35912/22/11 at 12:56ampost #203 of 3591/20/12 at 1:24pm
After an auction for them that I won on German Ebay went wrong I thought I'd never find them again so I moved on and bought the AD700 as "substitute." Silly thing to do since 2 weeks later another pair of K400 v.1 came up on US ebay from a seller in California. I jumped for it and won them for $90. They're used but look practically new.
These things really are amazing with acoustic music but seem quite balanced over all. I'm finding them satisfactory for many other genre's as well. They sound really open in that they let sounds sort of just hang.post #204 of 3591/21/12 at 4:37ampost #205 of 3591/21/12 at 11:11am
I have two headphones from the late 60's and both of them sound off texture wise, like they're dark yet strangely metallic -although I like them.
These flagships from the late 80's early 90's (my HD560 and K400 EP) just sound so real and natural in a wonderful way.
With some research going vintage really is a great way to get high sound quality on the cheap. I'm willing to bet these will get noticeably much better with a proper source and amplification. I'm running them out of my desktop's line-out which surprisingly has enough power to run them well and without clipping. Foobar volume is between 18-15 dB for modern recordings (12-10 dB with older recordings; 8-5dB on DVD L-PCM)post #206 of 3591/25/12 at 3:55ampost #207 of 3591/25/12 at 8:36amQuote:
Please develop. Are the baffles the same? In my experience different baffles (number of filtered openings) and quality of ear pads (old/new, soft/firm) account for most of the difference between K400 and K500, or indeed beteen different versions of each model. I believe the drivers are the same and the K500 was the upper model beacuse of more "exclusive" headband and trimmings.The strange dome cap of the K500 of course also influence the sound, if it's in place.post #208 of 3591/25/12 at 7:47pm
I, own both the K500 and K400. A visual inspection shows that the baffles are the same design between the two versions I own. The drivers however, are different with the variation between the material of the diaphragm, and the etched ridges on the outer ring of the diaphragm. These effects certainly cause an effect of the sound which to me translates to better clarity, speed, and neutrality on the K500. The K400 on the other hand sounds warmer and more mids heavy and reduced upper frequency.post #209 of 3591/26/12 at 3:01am
My K400 is either 'middle production' or 'late production'. The headband is made of grey leather. The headband of the K500 is identical but where the driver of the K400 is neatly covered the driver of the K500 is almost completely visible through the 'cloth'.
- Akg K400
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 second ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 5 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 12 seconds ago
- › CanJam Music Appreciation Contest 19 seconds ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 21 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods. 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 USB DAC by twister6
- › AKG K271 MKII Headphones by 1nfiniti
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by Mmet
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2