Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! Last post on 9/7/15 at 2:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
As part of the OPPO PM3 loaner program I had a chance to evaluate the PM3's for a few days. Overall, I was very impressed with the packaging, build quality and finish. The brushed aluminum is...
COMPANY: Sennheiser MODEL: HD598 COST: $299 CAD - $250 USD – Note: often on sale for much less TYPE: Open, Dynamic, Over-Ear DRIVER SIZE: 40mm neodynium FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 12 Hz – 38.5...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I've been working with Trinity (Trinity Audio Engineering) for almost a couple of years now. I don't...
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
Akg K400 - Page 14post #196 of 37612/20/11 at 12:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 37612/20/11 at 12:50am
I am giving the collectors on this site a few more days. After that the listing is closed...
"Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle" was much more enjoyable i.m.h.o.post #198 of 37612/20/11 at 11:03pm
I think I will recable the K400 instead of selling it. After I picked up the Black Cube Linear last week the sonic ability of the K400 has increased significantly. Plus it is still my favorite headphone from an aesthetic point of view.post #199 of 37612/21/11 at 1:30amQuote:
You don't ever find the K400's mids slightly fatiguing on any amps? I've got the HRT MS II also. Could be my amp and this DAC causing issues. Maybe a weird combination of that and the cable. I love it, but I can't listen to it very long because of this.
I guess I should try the K601 pads, but this time put the foam in.
This is weird because I'm almost never fatigued by mids at all.post #200 of 37612/21/11 at 2:44ampost #201 of 37612/21/11 at 4:32pm
I would not consider the mids to be fatiguing to my ears. They are more elevated than the K500 which is crisper and more linear across the board. My biggest surprise is how well these headphones stand against the HD600/HD800.post #202 of 37612/22/11 at 12:56ampost #203 of 3761/20/12 at 1:24pm
After an auction for them that I won on German Ebay went wrong I thought I'd never find them again so I moved on and bought the AD700 as "substitute." Silly thing to do since 2 weeks later another pair of K400 v.1 came up on US ebay from a seller in California. I jumped for it and won them for $90. They're used but look practically new.
These things really are amazing with acoustic music but seem quite balanced over all. I'm finding them satisfactory for many other genre's as well. They sound really open in that they let sounds sort of just hang.post #204 of 3761/21/12 at 4:37ampost #205 of 3761/21/12 at 11:11am
I have two headphones from the late 60's and both of them sound off texture wise, like they're dark yet strangely metallic -although I like them.
These flagships from the late 80's early 90's (my HD560 and K400 EP) just sound so real and natural in a wonderful way.
With some research going vintage really is a great way to get high sound quality on the cheap. I'm willing to bet these will get noticeably much better with a proper source and amplification. I'm running them out of my desktop's line-out which surprisingly has enough power to run them well and without clipping. Foobar volume is between 18-15 dB for modern recordings (12-10 dB with older recordings; 8-5dB on DVD L-PCM)post #206 of 3761/25/12 at 3:55ampost #207 of 3761/25/12 at 8:36amQuote:
Please develop. Are the baffles the same? In my experience different baffles (number of filtered openings) and quality of ear pads (old/new, soft/firm) account for most of the difference between K400 and K500, or indeed beteen different versions of each model. The strange dome cap of the K500 of course also influence the sound, if it's in place.
Edited by MDR30 - 5/15/15 at 12:02ampost #208 of 3761/25/12 at 7:47pm
I, own both the K500 and K400. A visual inspection shows that the baffles are the same design between the two versions I own. The drivers however, are different with the variation between the material of the diaphragm, and the etched ridges on the outer ring of the diaphragm. These effects certainly cause an effect of the sound which to me translates to better clarity, speed, and neutrality on the K500. The K400 on the other hand sounds warmer and more mids heavy and reduced upper frequency.post #209 of 3761/26/12 at 3:01am
My K400 is either 'middle production' or 'late production'. The headband is made of grey leather. The headband of the K500 is identical but where the driver of the K400 is neatly covered the driver of the K500 is almost completely visible through the 'cloth'.
- Akg K400
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 4 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 53 seconds ago
- › Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary... 1 minute ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 2 minutes ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 2 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 3 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo 4 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...