Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! Last post on 9/16/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I picked these up off ebay a few weeks ago for 5 $ so my expectations were not high but to my surprise i think that i found a new pair of daily drivers, as i have said i have collected a fairly...
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Akg K400 - Page 14post #196 of 35612/20/11 at 12:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 35612/20/11 at 12:50am
I am giving the collectors on this site a few more days. After that the listing is closed...
"Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle" was much more enjoyable i.m.h.o.post #198 of 35612/20/11 at 11:03pm
I think I will recable the K400 instead of selling it. After I picked up the Black Cube Linear last week the sonic ability of the K400 has increased significantly. Plus it is still my favorite headphone from an aesthetic point of view.post #199 of 35612/21/11 at 1:30amQuote:
You don't ever find the K400's mids slightly fatiguing on any amps? I've got the HRT MS II also. Could be my amp and this DAC causing issues. Maybe a weird combination of that and the cable. I love it, but I can't listen to it very long because of this.
I guess I should try the K601 pads, but this time put the foam in.
This is weird because I'm almost never fatigued by mids at all.post #200 of 35612/21/11 at 2:44ampost #201 of 35612/21/11 at 4:32pm
I would not consider the mids to be fatiguing to my ears. They are more elevated than the K500 which is crisper and more linear across the board. My biggest surprise is how well these headphones stand against the HD600/HD800.post #202 of 35612/22/11 at 12:56ampost #203 of 3561/20/12 at 1:24pm
After an auction for them that I won on German Ebay went wrong I thought I'd never find them again so I moved on and bought the AD700 as "substitute." Silly thing to do since 2 weeks later another pair of K400 v.1 came up on US ebay from a seller in California. I jumped for it and won them for $90. They're used but look practically new.
These things really are amazing with acoustic music but seem quite balanced over all. I'm finding them satisfactory for many other genre's as well. They sound really open in that they let sounds sort of just hang.post #204 of 3561/21/12 at 4:37ampost #205 of 3561/21/12 at 11:11am
I have two headphones from the late 60's and both of them sound off texture wise, like they're dark yet strangely metallic -although I like them.
These flagships from the late 80's early 90's (my HD560 and K400 EP) just sound so real and natural in a wonderful way.
With some research going vintage really is a great way to get high sound quality on the cheap. I'm willing to bet these will get noticeably much better with a proper source and amplification. I'm running them out of my desktop's line-out which surprisingly has enough power to run them well and without clipping. Foobar volume is between 18-15 dB for modern recordings (12-10 dB with older recordings; 8-5dB on DVD L-PCM)post #206 of 3561/25/12 at 3:55ampost #207 of 3561/25/12 at 8:36amQuote:
Please develop. Are the baffles the same? In my experience different baffles (number of filtered openings) and quality of ear pads (old/new, soft/firm) account for most of the difference between K400 and K500, or indeed beteen different versions of each model. I believe the drivers are the same and the K500 was the upper model beacuse of more "exclusive" headband and trimmings.The strange dome cap of the K500 of course also influence the sound, if it's in place.post #208 of 3561/25/12 at 7:47pm
I, own both the K500 and K400. A visual inspection shows that the baffles are the same design between the two versions I own. The drivers however, are different with the variation between the material of the diaphragm, and the etched ridges on the outer ring of the diaphragm. These effects certainly cause an effect of the sound which to me translates to better clarity, speed, and neutrality on the K500. The K400 on the other hand sounds warmer and more mids heavy and reduced upper frequency.post #209 of 3561/26/12 at 3:01am
My K400 is either 'middle production' or 'late production'. The headband is made of grey leather. The headband of the K500 is identical but where the driver of the K400 is neatly covered the driver of the K500 is almost completely visible through the 'cloth'.
- Akg K400
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 43 seconds ago
- › FiiO X3 firmware 3.21 download and discussion thread 52 seconds ago
- › 5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page FW download & general... 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Sony announces the "Just ear" brand of custom IEMs 6 minutes ago
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr w/ Siemens CCa Tubes and more . . . 7 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HM700 16GB DAP plus RE-400B iems brand new - USA 9 minutes ago
- › Shure SE110 Sound Isolating Earphone with Balanced Armature Driver... by umhhmm
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)