Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! Last post on 6/25/16 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First of all I’d like to thank LZ and Lao for sending me a review sample of the LZ A2S. I'd also want to thank my friend Tamal for informing me about the LZ A2S, thanks mate! The retail price of...
Ampsandsound are an amplifier and loudspeaker builder out of Southern California. I discovered Justin Weber and team through Head-Fi, when reports of their Kenzie headphone amps appeared. Since...
Review: Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone I tried to post a review only to the review template, but I was unable to because the system stated I was above the maximum character count, hence...
If you are looking at the RHA-MA750, you already have done a bit of research about how they sound. So, I will get straight to my review. Sound Quality: Let me start off by saying that these...
Acknowledgment Thanks to @Tony-Hifi of HiFi headphones for making me review this desktop DAC/Amp as a favour. I love reviewing loaners, but it’s always sad to package and send them off...
Akg K400 - Page 14post #196 of 37912/20/11 at 12:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 37912/20/11 at 12:50am
I am giving the collectors on this site a few more days. After that the listing is closed...
"Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle" was much more enjoyable i.m.h.o.post #198 of 37912/20/11 at 11:03pm
I think I will recable the K400 instead of selling it. After I picked up the Black Cube Linear last week the sonic ability of the K400 has increased significantly. Plus it is still my favorite headphone from an aesthetic point of view.post #199 of 37912/21/11 at 1:30amQuote:
You don't ever find the K400's mids slightly fatiguing on any amps? I've got the HRT MS II also. Could be my amp and this DAC causing issues. Maybe a weird combination of that and the cable. I love it, but I can't listen to it very long because of this.
I guess I should try the K601 pads, but this time put the foam in.
This is weird because I'm almost never fatigued by mids at all.post #200 of 37912/21/11 at 2:44ampost #201 of 37912/21/11 at 4:32pm
I would not consider the mids to be fatiguing to my ears. They are more elevated than the K500 which is crisper and more linear across the board. My biggest surprise is how well these headphones stand against the HD600/HD800.post #202 of 37912/22/11 at 12:56ampost #203 of 3791/20/12 at 1:24pm
After an auction for them that I won on German Ebay went wrong I thought I'd never find them again so I moved on and bought the AD700 as "substitute." Silly thing to do since 2 weeks later another pair of K400 v.1 came up on US ebay from a seller in California. I jumped for it and won them for $90. They're used but look practically new.
These things really are amazing with acoustic music but seem quite balanced over all. I'm finding them satisfactory for many other genre's as well. They sound really open in that they let sounds sort of just hang.post #204 of 3791/21/12 at 4:37ampost #205 of 3791/21/12 at 11:11am
I have two headphones from the late 60's and both of them sound off texture wise, like they're dark yet strangely metallic -although I like them.
These flagships from the late 80's early 90's (my HD560 and K400 EP) just sound so real and natural in a wonderful way.
With some research going vintage really is a great way to get high sound quality on the cheap. I'm willing to bet these will get noticeably much better with a proper source and amplification. I'm running them out of my desktop's line-out which surprisingly has enough power to run them well and without clipping. Foobar volume is between 18-15 dB for modern recordings (12-10 dB with older recordings; 8-5dB on DVD L-PCM)post #206 of 3791/25/12 at 3:55ampost #207 of 3791/25/12 at 8:36amQuote:
Please develop. Are the baffles the same? In my experience different baffles (number of filtered openings) and quality of ear pads (old/new, soft/firm) account for most of the difference between K400 and K500, or indeed beteen different versions of each model. The strange dome cap of the K500 of course also influence the sound, if it's in place.
Edited by MDR30 - 5/15/15 at 12:02ampost #208 of 3791/25/12 at 7:47pm
I, own both the K500 and K400. A visual inspection shows that the baffles are the same design between the two versions I own. The drivers however, are different with the variation between the material of the diaphragm, and the etched ridges on the outer ring of the diaphragm. These effects certainly cause an effect of the sound which to me translates to better clarity, speed, and neutrality on the K500. The K400 on the other hand sounds warmer and more mids heavy and reduced upper frequency.post #209 of 3791/26/12 at 3:01am
My K400 is either 'middle production' or 'late production'. The headband is made of grey leather. The headband of the K500 is identical but where the driver of the K400 is neatly covered the driver of the K500 is almost completely visible through the 'cloth'.
- Akg K400
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Headphone wood cups 9 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 10 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 10 minutes ago
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...