Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- A question about the AKG Sound Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 earpads and elastics that fit the K500 - where to buy? Last post on 11/15/10 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE! Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- K500 Last post on 9/7/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
AK120II and Pono player combined review
EarTech Music have you ever heard of them or Ear Technology Corporation well me neither. This review is for EarTech Music Dual driver custom in ear monitor. I ran upon this company one day while I...
Setup: System #1: Macbook Pro Retina, Fidelia Software, Fiio e17 Alpen System #2: Mac Pro, Fidelia Software, Headphone Out or Fiio e17/E09K combo Some of the tracks used to...
WHY THESE? The kind people on iBuyGou (www.ibuygou.com) kindly offered me a pair of Xiaomi-like headphones to review here, as I actively have been using my Pistons the last year, and as these...
Got one of these for a downstairs/bedroom system I'm trying to put together for peanuts. For your money, you get a very well made little steel box, crinkle finished, painted silver. You can see...
Akg K400 - Page 14post #196 of 35612/20/11 at 12:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 35612/20/11 at 12:50am
I am giving the collectors on this site a few more days. After that the listing is closed...
"Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle" was much more enjoyable i.m.h.o.post #198 of 35612/20/11 at 11:03pm
I think I will recable the K400 instead of selling it. After I picked up the Black Cube Linear last week the sonic ability of the K400 has increased significantly. Plus it is still my favorite headphone from an aesthetic point of view.post #199 of 35612/21/11 at 1:30amQuote:
You don't ever find the K400's mids slightly fatiguing on any amps? I've got the HRT MS II also. Could be my amp and this DAC causing issues. Maybe a weird combination of that and the cable. I love it, but I can't listen to it very long because of this.
I guess I should try the K601 pads, but this time put the foam in.
This is weird because I'm almost never fatigued by mids at all.post #200 of 35612/21/11 at 2:44ampost #201 of 35612/21/11 at 4:32pm
I would not consider the mids to be fatiguing to my ears. They are more elevated than the K500 which is crisper and more linear across the board. My biggest surprise is how well these headphones stand against the HD600/HD800.post #202 of 35612/22/11 at 12:56ampost #203 of 3561/20/12 at 1:24pm
After an auction for them that I won on German Ebay went wrong I thought I'd never find them again so I moved on and bought the AD700 as "substitute." Silly thing to do since 2 weeks later another pair of K400 v.1 came up on US ebay from a seller in California. I jumped for it and won them for $90. They're used but look practically new.
These things really are amazing with acoustic music but seem quite balanced over all. I'm finding them satisfactory for many other genre's as well. They sound really open in that they let sounds sort of just hang.post #204 of 3561/21/12 at 4:37ampost #205 of 3561/21/12 at 11:11am
I have two headphones from the late 60's and both of them sound off texture wise, like they're dark yet strangely metallic -although I like them.
These flagships from the late 80's early 90's (my HD560 and K400 EP) just sound so real and natural in a wonderful way.
With some research going vintage really is a great way to get high sound quality on the cheap. I'm willing to bet these will get noticeably much better with a proper source and amplification. I'm running them out of my desktop's line-out which surprisingly has enough power to run them well and without clipping. Foobar volume is between 18-15 dB for modern recordings (12-10 dB with older recordings; 8-5dB on DVD L-PCM)post #206 of 3561/25/12 at 3:55ampost #207 of 3561/25/12 at 8:36amQuote:
Please develop. Are the baffles the same? In my experience different baffles (number of filtered openings) and quality of ear pads (old/new, soft/firm) account for most of the difference between K400 and K500, or indeed beteen different versions of each model. I believe the drivers are the same and the K500 was the upper model beacuse of more "exclusive" headband and trimmings.The strange dome cap of the K500 of course also influence the sound, if it's in place.post #208 of 3561/25/12 at 7:47pm
I, own both the K500 and K400. A visual inspection shows that the baffles are the same design between the two versions I own. The drivers however, are different with the variation between the material of the diaphragm, and the etched ridges on the outer ring of the diaphragm. These effects certainly cause an effect of the sound which to me translates to better clarity, speed, and neutrality on the K500. The K400 on the other hand sounds warmer and more mids heavy and reduced upper frequency.post #209 of 3561/26/12 at 3:01am
My K400 is either 'middle production' or 'late production'. The headband is made of grey leather. The headband of the K500 is identical but where the driver of the K400 is neatly covered the driver of the K500 is almost completely visible through the 'cloth'.
- Akg K400
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sony MDR-XB50: All of your basses...all of them. 8 seconds ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 20 seconds ago
- › I can't make up my mind 28 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 55 seconds ago
- › It is odd but not peculiar... 3 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for a really nice headphone for classical music. 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3