New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Akg K400 - Page 10

post #136 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

I just ordered a K400 off ebay!  I have have a few AKGs and I am excited to give this headphone a try.  I think it is one of the best looking cans out there and I am an industrial designer so I tend to be picky with looks.  BTW the pair I bought have the rubber headband and I wanted to know if this was added for the later versions and if so how does it sound different from the version with the leather headband?

 

Thanks.



The one with the rubber headband is the early production.

IMO, they sound the best, with a nice smooth, upbeat sound.

They are more lifely, with a sharper attack, than the later production with the leather band.

post #137 of 350

Has anyone used the K702 pads with the K400?  I am interested in this combination.  I think the stock pads are decent on K400.  I have noticed they are designed to be as open as possible where the pads on the K601/70X are denser and block more sound.  This must be the reason why people claim to hear an increase in bass.  

post #138 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

Has anyone used the K702 pads with the K400?  I am interested in this combination.  I think the stock pads are decent on K400.  I have noticed they are designed to be as open as possible where the pads on the K601/70X are denser and block more sound.  This must be the reason why people claim to hear an increase in bass.  


I tried both the K601 and K701 ear pads. For some reason the K701 pads didn't work, it didn't sound right.

The K601 pads on the other hand were bliss.
 

post #139 of 350

I thought the K702 pads were different not only in color but they are also angled where the K701 are just donuts like the K601 pads.  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemen View Post




I tried both the K601 and K701 ear pads. For some reason the K701 pads didn't work, it didn't sound right.

The K601 pads on the other hand were bliss.
 

post #140 of 350

the K701 and K702 use the same pads, they're both angled.  I owned a K500 with K400 drivers, which by reports seems like it sounded similar to the K400.  I didn't try K601 pads, but K701 pads ruined them.  The sweet liquid airy sound was lost and became much more dry and boring.  I've heard people say that the K501 pads aren't as good as the earlier pads.  I'd probably stick with them, or try K601 pads if you want something different.  But definitely don't throw away those K400 pads!

 

I also owned a stock K500 at the same time, and with them, I actually preferred K701 pads to the stock K500 pads.  But by what I've heard, I'm thinking I would have liked K601 pads more, sort of a middle ground.  But stock, the K500 had too much treble for my tastes, sounded a little sharp, and didn't have the same magic as the K400

 

I loved those phones.  If it weren't for the lack of bass, they would have likely ended my head-fi journey.  Still couldn't sell them though, I wound up giving them to a friend who had old silver sr325, and he loved them. 

 


Edited by rhythmdevils - 6/16/10 at 12:09pm
post #141 of 350

I am happy with the stock pads and I dont think ill be buying K601 pads anytime soon.  It has been fun listening to the K400 alongside the DT880.  When I owned the K601 I felt it was too airy sounding and lacking punch, but this is not the case with the K400 which is very punchy and dynamic.  

post #142 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

I am happy with the stock pads and I dont think ill be buying K601 pads anytime soon.  It has been fun listening to the K400 alongside the DT880.  When I owned the K601 I felt it was too airy sounding and lacking punch, but this is not the case with the K400 which is very punchy and dynamic.  



That's exactly the difference between the K-400 and the K601 as I heard it as well.

 

The K601 pads takes away some of the airiness and wideness of the soundstage, though not as much as the K701 pads.

K601 pads gives the K-400 more bottom end and slam, at the expense of the merits mentioned above.

 

BTW: I agree completely with Rhythmdevils' comments on the K701 pads.

post #143 of 350

IMG_2309.JPG

 

IMG_2307 copy.jpg

 

IMG_2310.JPG

post #144 of 350

Can anyone comment how the K400 sounds against the HD600? 

post #145 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

Can anyone comment how the K400 sounds against the HD600? 


I can only comment on the very much the same sounding HD580.

The HD580 is fuller, slower, has more and fatter bass, is less airy, less smooth, less delicate and has a smaller soundstage.

The HD580 is IMO better suited for rock, the K-400 for everything else were a slamming drum is not needed.
 

post #146 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemen View Post




I can only comment on the very much the same sounding HD580.

The HD580 is fuller, slower, has more and fatter bass, is less airy, less smooth, less delicate and has a smaller soundstage.

The HD580 is IMO better suited for rock, the K-400 for everything else were a slamming drum is not needed.
 


I have owned the 580,600,650 at various times and liked the HD600 the best.  Its been awhile since I last heard one so I hoping someone owned both.

post #147 of 350

I have owned both, but not at the same time.  From memory, the K400 wins in every way except lower mids and bass, which it lacks, IMO.  I remember thinking that they were too light and airy for a lot of things, like Led Zeppelin for example, the guitar is really rich and heavy, but sounded light with the K400.  I couldn't engage with the music after a while.

post #148 of 350

For how much do these phones go for lately. I see there are on ebay.de for about 30 euros but the seller wants cash and doesnt ship to other countries in Europe.

post #149 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

Can anyone comment how the K400 sounds against the HD600? 



Check the review in my signature. It's K501 instead of HD600 but I'm pretty sure most of what I've read would still hold true. And there are several slightly different versions of both headphones, anyway.

 

 

@Gusgus: at that price they are a steal! Could you ask for help from a fellow German head-fier?


Edited by Don Quichotte - 12/8/10 at 11:54am
post #150 of 350
Quote:

 

@Gusgus: at that price they are a steal! Could you ask for help from a fellow German head-fier?


 

Do you mean, I can ask a German head-fier to get it for me and then post it to me? Do some people actually do that? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)