Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Do many people use a DAC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do many people use a DAC? - Page 4

post #46 of 65
i dont understand how people can say that DACs dont make a difference, every dac ive heard sounds very different, mostly depending on which manufactruer makes the dac ic itself, burr brown, analog devices, texas instruments, AKM, they all sound different, its like saying all phono cartrages sound the same...
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
Both of them were unimpressive. I don't mean to say they were bad - they sounded fine - but I didn't get any new meaning, or improvement in clarity, or much of anything different from what I already had.
Still more clarification. When you say that you compared the G08 and the DAC1, and they weren't anything special. Were you bypassing the DAC in the Meridian through a digital out and using the DAC1 to make comparisons. If that's what you are saying, then it is understandable.
But, if you are saying that the DAC in the Meridian G08 is unimpressive...I have to disagree. It has quite a top notch converter. I have an Esoteric, which has an unbelievable output stage, and a DAC6e, and even though it is a different animal, the G08 can play nicely with the big boys, and hang on when the going gets tough. Humble opinion and all that.
The Dac1 will make an average CDP sound much better, but it is strangely analytical, probably from it's professional rearing and family tree.
post #48 of 65
Defend thy honor Aaron ,but seriously,meet conditions matter much.We had a pretty quiet Tampa meet(relatively speaking)and I was able to do some comparisons of my SCD-1,Gene's 306/200 Cary,Mikes Exemplar Denon 2900 and someones Eastsound and I could easily hear the difference in sound quality between the Eastsound and the three bigboys.To me,it became a matter of preference when trying to seperate the more expensive players,but the Eastsound was not bad for the price,IMO.Gary.
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
I bought the iAudio X5 which can work as a USB host.
If anyone's interested, this is the really informative response I got from iAudio:

Thank you for using iAUDIO X5.
Unfortunately, we do not plan to support USB soundcards.
Thanks again for using the customer support at www.iaudio.com.
We look forward to your next visit.
Regards,
COWON
post #50 of 65
I think that everyone in this thread could tell the difference between a Benchmark DAC-1 or Meridian G08 and a Chaintech AV-710 in a double-blind test with reasonable headphones.

The differences are that obvious.

If you don't think the thing that converts/makes the signal is important, you are wrong.

-Matt
post #51 of 65
... thats a bit extreme, isn't it? (the comparison) especially when you consider that you could buy 100 AV-710s for the price of a G08

I listened to a $250-300 marantz *never bothered to check the model* in a proper listening room with my usual speakers, just last week. I really don't like my AV-710 anymore
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker
Still more clarification. When you say that you compared the G08 and the DAC1, and they weren't anything special. Were you bypassing the DAC in the Meridian through a digital out and using the DAC1 to make comparisons. If that's what you are saying, then it is understandable.
But, if you are saying that the DAC in the Meridian G08 is unimpressive...I have to disagree. It has quite a top notch converter. I have an Esoteric, which has an unbelievable output stage, and a DAC6e, and even though it is a different animal, the G08 can play nicely with the big boys, and hang on when the going gets tough. Humble opinion and all that.
The Dac1 will make an average CDP sound much better, but it is strangely analytical, probably from it's professional rearing and family tree.
Yeah IIRC the G08 DAC was used directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn
How loud was the meet? At a small minimeet we had, the differences between amps were obvious, and a micromeet we had the DACs were too. But at the full blown NYC regional meet, man, our DAC shootout sucked - it was SO loud, honestly, the Cute DAC sounded just as good as the Grace m902 lol!
The listening area was reasonably quiet. On top of that I auditioned each source with Etys. So the environment wasn't really the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I think that everyone in this thread could tell the difference between a Benchmark DAC-1 or Meridian G08 and a Chaintech AV-710 in a double-blind test with reasonable headphones.

The differences are that obvious.

If you don't think the thing that converts/makes the signal is important, you are wrong.
You know, I'm actually not even going to disagree with this. I can admit the possibility that a DBT might be possible. But like I said, would it matter? The differences were so small (ie not noticable) between the sources that even a positive result is sort of meaningless to me now. I might justify something like a DAC1 if I had $10,000 more of an investment in music, but strictly in terms of enjoyment, from my impressions I can get much, much more enjoyment out of jsut getting new music than getting a new DAC.
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
You know, I'm actually not even going to disagree with this. I can admit the possibility that a DBT might be possible. But like I said, would it matter? The differences were so small (ie not noticable) between the sources that even a positive result is sort of meaningless to me now. I might justify something like a DAC1 if I had $10,000 more of an investment in music, but strictly in terms of enjoyment, from my impressions I can get much, much more enjoyment out of jsut getting new music than getting a new DAC.
You've hit upon a key issue, which is that the differences are small to some and very significant to others. We all hear things and value things differently. To me, a $15 bottle of wine might taste almost the same as a $100 bottle. A wine aficianodo might taste both and say I was crazy. That's why it is so important for people to make their own judgments, and also to respect others judgments as to what they hear and what is right for them-- whether they find a big difference between components, or almost no difference.
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS
You've hit upon a key issue, which is that the differences are small to some and very significant to others. We all hear things and value things differently. To me, a $15 bottle of wine might taste almost the same as a $100 bottle. A wine aficianodo might taste both and say I was crazy. That's why it is so important for people to make their own judgments, and also to respect others judgments as to what they hear and what is right for them-- whether they find a big difference between components, or almost no difference.
Well said, I don't mind getting drunk off a $8 bottle of wine
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guss2
I was able to do some comparisons of my SCD-1,Gene's 306/200 Cary,Mikes Exemplar Denon 2900 and someones Eastsound and I could easily hear the difference in sound quality between the Eastsound and the three bigboys.To me,it became a matter of preference when trying to seperate the more expensive players,but the Eastsound was not bad for the price,IMO.Gary.
It was amazing how close in quality the Cary and the Sony were. But then again, they are both amazing and top notch players. I listened to Mike's modded Denon, but I missed the shootout with the others and since the other's were using the Orpheus clone, and Mike's was using a Supra, there was no way to compare.
The Eastsound is a no-brainer in it's price category. It that price range the sound and build quality are solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma
thats a bit extreme, isn't it? (the comparison) especially when you consider that you could buy 100 AV-710s for the price of a G08
You can buy 12 HD 600's for the price of 1 R-10, but is that going to give you the best possible listening experience?

It all boils down to whether or not, you want the best, or are you willing to settle for less, and be perfectly happy. As is the case with DACs, which are the meat and potatoes of any digital source. If you take the G08 and run it through the Benchmark, the you might as well take a Corvette and put 82 octane in it.
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS
You've hit upon a key issue, which is that the differences are small to some and very significant to others. We all hear things and value things differently. To me, a $15 bottle of wine might taste almost the same as a $100 bottle. A wine aficianodo might taste both and say I was crazy. That's why it is so important for people to make their own judgments, and also to respect others judgments as to what they hear and what is right for them-- whether they find a big difference between components, or almost no difference.
I do think, though, that it's very valuable for when people like Pubilus also make their comments how big a difference they hear. That way, everyone can have a realistic idea of what to expect from an upgrade.
post #57 of 65
You hit the nail on the head Aaron,do we want quantity or quality?I love the sound I get from my 650's,but I'd gladly give up a dozen of them for my HE90's.Gary.
post #58 of 65
I didn't find MF X-DAC v3 to be any special. I had very hard times to even hear any differencies between it and ESI Juli@. Definitely not worth of 730EUR.
post #59 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Grey
I do think, though, that it's very valuable for when people like Pubilus also make their comments how big a difference they hear. That way, everyone can have a realistic idea of what to expect from an upgrade.
seconded. i also find it important that opinions such as his are not looked upon with snobbery. being able to discern differences between two devices doesn't have to mean those perceived differences really make a difference in one's level of enjoyment.
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecom
i dont understand how people can say that DACs dont make a difference, every dac ive heard sounds very different, mostly depending on which manufactruer makes the dac ic itself, burr brown, analog devices, texas instruments, AKM, they all sound different, its like saying all phono cartrages sound the same...
Not really. Phono cartridges are transducers, which have *much* bigger variation in sound than solid state devices like DACs. The difference between phono cartridges is comparable to the differences between headphones.

P.S. re: the whole meet impressions issue -- I hate to say this, but (although meets are fun) I feel that meet impressions are not worth much even under the best of conditions. I generally have to live with a piece of gear for days (possibly even weeks) under a variety of different conditions before I begin to grasp the various subtleties that make or break it for me. Just me, maybe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Do many people use a DAC?