New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Got my Grover UR5s - Page 6

post #76 of 96
HEY STOP!!!!

You guys have been friends too long to argue over some silly ass cables.
Really it don't matter who is right and who is wrong, simply because you are all right. Each of you has a preference. That doesn't make one cable better or worse than the other.
Each one of us manufacturer's/designers don't really need to be raised up as the founding father of audio. None of us are doing anything that is special. We are just doing what we think is correct. None of us will go broke. We all appreciate your patronage and we are honored by your compliments, which by the way have brought new customers to our doors.
I am sure that Ori and Grover along with myself do not want ill feelings amongst forum members.

Peace on earth, Man.
PS: If any of you are in Vegas for THE Show, stop by and see me even if you don't like me.

Regards,
Michael
post #77 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhwolff
HEY STOP!!!!

You guys have been friends too long to argue over some silly ass cables.
Really it don't matter who is right and who is wrong, simply because you are all right. Each of you has a preference. That doesn't make one cable better or worse than the other.
Each one of us manufacturer's/designers don't really need to be raised up as the founding father of audio. None of us are doing anything that is special. We are just doing what we think is correct. None of us will go broke, none of us will become famous. We all appreciate your patronage and we are honored by your compliments.
I am sure that Ori and Grover along with myself do not want ill feelings amongst forum members.

Peace on earth, Man.
PS: If any of you are in Vegas for THE Show, stop by and see me even if you don't like me.

Regards,
Michael
Well said Michael. Everyone has different tastes, why argue about it? This is turning into a drarthurwells evangelism fest.
post #78 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrych
This is turning into a drarthurwells evangelism fest.
LOL!
post #79 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhwolff
HEY STOP!!!!

You guys have been friends too long to argue over some silly ass cables.
Really it don't matter who is right and who is wrong, simply because you are all right. Each of you has a preference. That doesn't make one cable better or worse than the other.
Each one of us manufacturer's/designers don't really need to be raised up as the founding father of audio. None of us are doing anything that is special. We are just doing what we think is correct. None of us will go broke. We all appreciate your patronage and we are honored by your compliments, which by the way have brought new customers to our doors.
I am sure that Ori and Grover along with myself do not want ill feelings amongst forum members.

Peace on earth, Man.
PS: If any of you are in Vegas for THE Show, stop by and see me even if you don't like me.

Regards,
Michael

Hear, hear...a great post. Thanks Michael!
post #80 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Thanks for the support Wodgy and recstar24
Notice how you both effortessly address the issue. Nail on the head.
While the others, offended, run around it and look for reasons why I could say what I have. Why?
It's strange how "effortlessly" you categorise the people posting in this thread. The people who agree with you are the only ones who "effortlessly address the issue", "nail on the head", and "get it", while those who don't are the ones who "run around it and look for reasons why (you) could say what (you) have". I am sitting on the fence here, in fact I tend to agree with michaelhwolff that "you are all right" and it's just that "each of you has a preference". So what's an appropriate description/categorisation of people like us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Have I been sarcastic about Grover? No.
Have I been subtly mocking of listeners? No.
Quote:
My favourite Grover poster is Seagoat and my favourite post is this one. I love these quotes for the entertainment value:
"UR 5 - Unlike anything that has gone before" "The UR 5 is the first truly linear sounding cable." "This cable captures the best of all of Grover's prior cable and doubles, triples them." "as close to the master recording as possible without any highlight or defects in the sound." "There is no competition for sound this good." "They are that good!!!"
Quote:
Wow that's rather miraculous! A cable that can distinguish whether it's playing jazz or rock, vocals or instruments and be designed to present the information based on genre and type of instrument no less! Holy smoke! I had no idea this was possible. DarkAngel said it best "magically match". You're correct, you two are on the "same page"...but a page seemingly pulled from a Harry Potter book.
Quote:
Oh right, the Grover cables are able to distinguish between a CD's information, the difference between a virtue and a flaw. They're capable of supressing the high frequencies on a poorly mastered CD but let those frequencies shine through when a well mastered CD is detected. How come my Grovers were not, apparently, the greatest advance in the history of recorded music?
I am not really sure, but the sarcastic and mocking tone here seems apparent, no?

Sorry to join in the fray, but it has been really tiring going through Grover threads because it's almost impossible to do so without some argument of how the Oritek X-1's are superior to the Grover UR-2,3,4,5,6, or vice versa. This is especially agonising because the same people have been expressing the same opinion about the same cables in the same threads. I'm fine with DA because he's comparing the latest versions of the UR's against the X-1's, but for some, I believe there's no necessity to harp on the same impressions over and over again, and question the validity of others' impressions all the time just because they don't agree with you. Let's just all agree to disagree.

Peace on earth, Man.
post #81 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute0
It's strange how "effortlessly" you categorise the people posting in this thread. The people who agree with you are the only ones who "effortlessly address the issue", "nail on the head", and "get it", while those who don't are the ones who "run around it and look for reasons why (you) could say what (you) have". I am sitting on the fence here, in fact I tend to agree with michaelhwolff that "you are all right" and it's just that "each of you has a preference". So what's an appropriate description/categorisation of people like us?
U.N. diplomat?
The issue was credible cable reviewing. Those two touched upon credible cable reviewing as an issue. They got it, the larger picture. No one else did. Or they chose not to touch it.

Do you Absolute0, believe that this one cable design made available in the year 2005 "is the first truly linear sounding cable" to ever be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute0
I am not really sure, but the sarcastic and mocking tone here seems apparent, no?
I see your point. At the time I wrote that my thoughts were of mockery of the written descriptions, mockery of the words alone. But I can see I was mistaken in thinking I could do that without that mockery extending to the writer. I was in error there. I extend my apology to DarkAngel and euclid.

EDIT:Posting can be a bummer. But what can brighten things is a PM from one of the quiet members (no one in this thread). Now I don't feel like I was somehow so unfair or so off target. Now I believe the writer has pumped things up a bit for pure comedic relief for my benefit (bless him or her) so...a grain of salt.

"Hey man,

Let me preface by saying, of course, everyone has their own ears and preferences and we should respect everyone's opinions and not be blinded by our own notions of what we believe regarding... blah blah blah

Here's the thing though. I've been following these Grover Vs. Oritek threads with interest and considerable entertainment...just between us, anyone who prefers the xxxxxx (any version, IMHO) to the xxxxxxs xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

I personally think the xxx's (the last of xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx I tried) xxxxx so xxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx with xxxxxx that I xxxxxxx along with my xxxs for xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...I could go on with more details, but now I'm just being bitter

Anyways, just wanted to lend my moral support...your posts are magnificiently well written, entertaining, and spot on. And your ears are on the money...if others are interpreting your humor incorrectly, they are free to wallow in 1 dimensional xxxxxx sonic squalor

Golly, sometimes it feels good to rant! Thanks for listening."
post #82 of 96

Are we having fun?!

I logged on this evening just to find that the world is now standing on its head, I think... It's only equipment, a means to the goal, which is ultimately to enjoy our music. While all this was going on, I had my system on and enjoyed it greatly with two nice Head-Fi comrades... Maybe we all should take a deep breath and do the same...
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclid
Ori and EyeTeeth insist the x-1 have no weakness and will never need to be improved...
I have to set the record straight. I never said that the X-1 has no weaknesses. I did say that it will not change - not because it's perfect, but because IMO it's a mature product with a fine balance of its sonic virtues. This is not the universal truth, just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclid
yet there is a "better" x-2 at double the price.
The X-2 to the X-1 is like a MD-80 to a DC-3 or a Nascar vehicle to the production version. They share the manufacturer's name and perhaps some aspects but in essence are very different species...
I exxagerated the scale, but you get the point. There are hardly any similarities between these cables and the concept of upgrade in this context is just ridiculous.
If you refer to certain offers, then I'd say that they are not upgrades in the sense of replacing one product with another. 'Nuff said...
post #83 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Do you Absolute0, believe that this one cable design made available in the year 2005 "is the first truly linear sounding cable" to ever be made?
No, of course I don't. But there's a fair share of such raving on possibly every single equipment forum, in fact in every sub-forum on Head-fi, and I believe most of us are discerning enough to realise the hyperbole and not require someone else to quote them for their "entertainment value" whenever they arise.

There's really a fine line between good-natured humour and sarcasm/mockery. IMHO, you are erring a little on the latter, and I wouldn't be surprised if the subject of your "humour" take offence, as much as there are those who find them entertaining. But of course, I could be "interpreting your humor incorrectly".

Let's not deviate any further. I believe this is still a Grover UR5 thread.
post #84 of 96
Thank you Absolute0
Of course for agreement on the first issue, and also I agree with you on the next two.


You've more self restraint than I have.
post #85 of 96
Quote:
Have I been subtly mocking of listeners? No.
I call bull on ET - or, maybe, it's only because the mocking was never subtle.

Actually PM'd Ori to order some X-1 (even though I needed more IC like a hole in the head) , but have now decided against - simply for sheer spite.

Sorry, Ori - others have now officially cost you business, and through no fault of your own.

So continues the Cable Threadcrapper's Ball.
post #86 of 96

Back to UR discussion...

duplicate
post #87 of 96
Just got the UR6.

Man, this is nice. First and foremost, I don't have a terribly critical ear. I had felt the U4 was nice and exciting but perhaps was a little anemic down low. I attributed this to lack of burnin, but don't believe I used it long enough to conclusively say it was burnt in.

Got the U5. My comments to Grover (without actually reading any of these threads as its arrival took me by surprise and I plugged it right in) was that the cable was darker and smooth, slightly less treble energy.

This U6 is like a veil has been lifted. Bass impact, treble, clarity, detail... it's really nice. I just went through a quick listening test between the 4/5/6 and the diff between the 4 and 5 seem pretty minor between the upgrade to the 6. Definitely the brightest tonality of the bunch, which I guess might be a drawback to some... thinking of doing some tube swapping now. Just IMO of course.
post #88 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1
I call bull on ET - or, maybe, it's only because the mocking was never subtle.
I know, I think it's unfair also. I never mocked subtly in my life nor claimed to. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1
Actually PM'd Ori to order some X-1 (even though I needed more IC like a hole in the head) , but have now decided against - simply for sheer spite.
keep fighting the good fight!
I've been pondering starting an awareness campaign concerning this (print info is far more graphic than BBC, very moving) and our reduced price audio goodies. Sure it may be hopeless but it's still the right thing to do. It's yourself you have to live with.

Anyway, I'm here failing to put together a 50K audio system that "sounds terrible magnifying every small recording flaw, can't even make it through one song, painful experience". I'm stuck on preamps in the 10K region. Lamm? BAT? Aesthetix? Audio Research? Some help on identifying the expensive offensive components would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau
Just got the UR6.

Man, this is nice. First and foremost, I don't have a terribly critical ear. I had felt the U4 was nice and exciting but perhaps was a little anemic down low. I attributed this to lack of burnin, but don't believe I used it long enough to conclusively say it was burnt in.

Got the U5. My comments to Grover (without actually reading any of these threads as its arrival took me by surprise and I plugged it right in) was that the cable was darker and smooth, slightly less treble energy.

This U6 is like a veil has been lifted. Bass impact, treble, clarity, detail... it's really nice. I just went through a quick listening test between the 4/5/6 and the diff between the 4 and 5 seem pretty minor between the upgrade to the 6. Definitely the brightest tonality of the bunch, which I guess might be a drawback to some... thinking of doing some tube swapping now. Just IMO of course.
This makes sense to me. In my humble opinion bobeau is a credible writer. Enjoy it bobeau.
post #89 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
The tone balance is slightly different now, a bit less full and warm toned like UR5, it now has a faster more agile bounce to its step, a touch more treble energy and extension. If you made a hybrid combination of X1 and UR5 sounds the result would be UR6, as usual not sure what changes Grover has made to acheive this. Still has natural relaxed detailed presention that makes almost any type of music sound its best........I have many rock recordings with typical grain and glare sound and UR6 can play these more cleanly/smoothly than Oritek or Wolff, yet still somehow matches these great cables in detail resolution and soundstage, somehow it minimizes CD sound flaws best.

This is the quality that keeps me a Grover fan.......the universal ability to make any type of recording sound its best while minimizing its flaws.
Bobeau
To use my tired old catch phrase again.......we are on the same page with the changes Grover has acheived with UR6.

Pabbi
Ori has been real gentlemen in all respects, don't let anything said here other than audio criteria interfere with plans to try his excellent X1 cable if you are still curious.
post #90 of 96
For the record: I think DarkAngel often has very good judgement.
We may be at odds presently over the best use of language but....
I sought his advice on a number of occasions in the past and was steered well by him. DA is a good guy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: