Originally Posted by halcyon
Have you heard the older and newer revisions?
How would you characterise the sound differences?
I have heard probably 6 different versions. I mod a lot of them. Here is what they changed:
1) Improved coupling caps, but still SMT
2) added a buffer to the SE outputs, isolating from XLR outs
3) Changed all of the op-amps from Philips to TI
4) reduced the output impedance from the SE outputs to 30 ohms
5) reduced the brightness of the LED's
6) added a pot to balance the L/R gain
7) changed the regulators to REALLY REALLY cheap ones to save the cost of a few plastic bushings
Heres what they didn't change:
-same cheapo digital transformers
-all caps still SMT
-BNC still 50 ohms rather than 75 ohms
-cheapo bridge rectifiers
-not the best op-amp choice
The sound of the old versus new is like night and day. The older ones had a major suckout in the midrange/midbass that lost the "weight" of the music. The highs were quite nice though.
The new version does not have the "weight" problem. It just has a little "hardness". The difference between the stock and the best modded DAC-1 is probably 15% improvement, and the modded one is awesome. Read this:http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=23698