Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Portapro Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Koss Portapro Appreciation Thread - Page 26

post #376 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

 

They are the most amazing little set of cans for the money with a really great Bass presence for the size of them.

The only thing I don't like is how bad they leak sound and it doesn't take much volume for others to hear what your listening too... other than that did I mention that these are the most amazing little set of cans! dt880smile.png

    

     Quote:

 

Thanks MOM, we'll all keep that in mind while where out and about amongst the texting drivers and the DUI people... tongue_smile.gif

Hey, we'll know who to blame when you're six feet under.

post #377 of 554

As an aside and to get back on topic...

 

;-) 

 

I just this evening tried the Portapros with Grado bowl pads (the standard RS1 type bowl pad) and I honestly can't believe my ears. The bass isn't so forward but more natural and tight and overall things seem quite a bit more detailed. And perhaps my favorite change, the highs have a super good sparkle that before I was using EQ settings to achieve.

 

I know a lot of folk like the default Koss bads but the bass is just a tad too up front for me and the highs a bit too rolled off (not a gripe cause I still think the stock set up is amazing!) ...

 

But with the bowl pads (although I have to find a better way of keeping them on as they just *barely* hang on there) .. man ...

 

I tell you, listening to my desktop rig (MHDT Stockholm DAC feeding a Ray Sam Raptor) ... I just kept switching back and forth between my GS1000's (also some Beyer T1's) and the Koss's and I mean to tell you ... the similarities were uncanny. My GS1000's pads are mod'd too ... being just a few millimeters closer to the the driver so they sound more so like a cross between stock GS1K's and RS1's; I find the stock GS1k pads to be just a bit too thin sounding but I love them like they are now (see that link above for how that GS1K pad mod is done). 

 

And with the grado "bowl" pads (not the GS1K pads, which are much bigger) the Portapro (at least for my preferences) is a completely and freakishly close approximation of what I get with the GS1K's ... not quite as clinically detailed as the GS1K's ... which just easily dig deeper in to any given recording, but the Koss' are still just amazing sounding and, frankly, just upon a short listen, are not that far removed by any means. It's mind boggling that those little 30 dollar contraptions can be made to sound so approximate of the modded GS1K's and also the Beyer T1's that I have access too here in my house. In fact, I think I prefer the bass on the bowl-modded Koss' over the Beyers. LOL ... and not to piss anybody off but I can say without a doubt I prefer the sound of the Koss Portapros (with Grado bowls), hands down, over the LCD-3's which I also have access to here at my house and consider a total rip off for the money.

 

Insanity I tell  you.

 

Now I just have to find a way to make the bowls fit more securely so they aren't always falling off the Koss'. Also, I'm going to try the Senn HD414 pads as they look like they will fit a bit better and might approximate the sound I'm getting from the Grado bowls.

 

Crazy...

 

smile.gif

post #378 of 554

Interesting. I tried the quarter mod and I could not discern any difference in sound quality before and after. 


Edited by newphones - 4/2/13 at 10:02pm
post #379 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphones View Post

Interesting. I tried the quarter mod and I could not discern any difference in sound quality before and after. 

 

Well using the Grado bowl pads significantly lifts the Portapro drivers away from the ears which yields the dramatic changes in sound (more sparkly highs, a greater sense of detail and much more controlled, though technically, less bass). It basically achieves exactly what I was using EQ settings for before. Here's another user's pic of the same set up I'm using:

 

...

 

 

 

...

 

Also, I'm going to order some of the Grado generic "cushion" replacements (SEE HERE) so as to try a set up like this users here. I think the effect will be the same as with the bowls, above as, generally, the same thing is being accomplished (the driver being a tiny bit further away from the ear) and this also looks like it will be more functional as the pads seem to be very well secured on the driver housing. The user has done the "quarter mod" on the Grado pads and left the underlying, stock Koss pads un changed:

 

...

 

 

 

...

 

That last set of pads only costs like 10 bucks.

 

I'm not going to do the "quarter mod" on the stock Koss pads as I honestly don't see how removing just a bit of foam is going to change sonics much. But using other pads to lift the drivers away from the ears a bit makes a HUGE difference. Some folks might not like it but I prefer the increased detail and "sparkle" and vastly improve the slight decrease in bass ...

 

...

post #380 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

 

...

 

 

 

That looks...terrifying!

post #381 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

That looks...terrifying!

 

Yeah, sort of big and obnoxious ... and they just *barely* stay on the Koss drivers; I think they sound perfect, though. I just ordered some HD414 pads and some of the wrap around generic Grado cushion pads so hopefully they will sound just as good cause I know they'll fit a lot better...

post #382 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

 

Well using the Grado bowl pads significantly lifts the Portapro drivers away from the ears which yields the dramatic changes in sound (more sparkly highs, a greater sense of detail and much more controlled, though technically, less bass). It basically achieves exactly what I was using EQ settings for before. Here's another user's pic of the same set up I'm using:

 

...

 

 

 

...

 

Also, I'm going to order some of the Grado generic "cushion" replacements (SEE HERE) so as to try a set up like this users here. I think the effect will be the same as with the bowls, above as, generally, the same thing is being accomplished (the driver being a tiny bit further away from the ear) and this also looks like it will be more functional as the pads seem to be very well secured on the driver housing. The user has done the "quarter mod" on the Grado pads and left the underlying, stock Koss pads un changed:

 

...

 

 

 

...

 

That last set of pads only costs like 10 bucks.

 

I'm not going to do the "quarter mod" on the stock Koss pads as I honestly don't see how removing just a bit of foam is going to change sonics much. But using other pads to lift the drivers away from the ears a bit makes a HUGE difference. Some folks might not like it but I prefer the increased detail and "sparkle" and vastly improve the slight decrease in bass ...

 

...

Woaaaaah! Monster truck!

post #383 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

The Koss portapro/sportapro/ksc75 drivers are pretty crazy indeed. If you want to have fun with the sportapro's, see this great tutorial. I've had the portapro's and I have the ksc75's, but I'll definitely be trying out those sportapro mods!

 

Thanks for the link. I'm not a big fan of modding, but this one makes a lot of sense in principle. You do want more air moving in both directions and this mod does allow for that.

 

I don't have easy access to a drill however. I wonder if I could achieve the same result using a different set of tools. Perhaps a hammer and nails? No, seriously. Perhaps a small nail for the grille and a larger one for the back plastic. Obviously, there's a significant risk of damage--just a thought.

 

Someone should put those grado bowls on a standard sportapro and report on the results.

post #384 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphones View Post

 

Thanks for the link. I'm not a big fan of modding, but this one makes a lot of sense in principle. You do want more air moving in both directions and this mod does allow for that.

 

I don't have easy access to a drill however. I wonder if I could achieve the same result using a different set of tools. Perhaps a hammer and nails? No, seriously. Perhaps a small nail for the grille and a larger one for the back plastic. Obviously, there's a significant risk of damage--just a thought.

 

Someone should put those grado bowls on a standard sportapro and report on the results.

1) You'll definitely need to get the plastic grills off the driver assembly first, that's a given so that you don't accidentally puncture the fragile driver diaphragms with a sharp tool

 

2) Any knife with a sharp tip will do, just gouge/carve at spots where you want holes, using techniques similar to how you would gouge out a bad patch on a potato or apple.

post #385 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

1) You'll definitely need to get the plastic grills off the driver assembly first, that's a given so that you don't accidentally puncture the fragile driver diaphragms with a sharp tool

2) Any knife with a sharp tip will do, just gouge/carve at spots where you want holes, using techniques similar to how you would gouge out a bad patch on a potato or apple.

Why do I see that going all wrong... biggrin.gif
post #386 of 554
Porta Pro Woodies! Now that 's the way to rock the Pro's
roBernd did an amazing job on them here in this thread.

post #387 of 554

I got my pair a few days ago and I reckon they have had about 20-30 hours burn in time. They certainly sound better than they originally did but I still don't like the way they sound, I am not sure what it is, perhaps I just don't like the sound signature. 

 

Anyway, how long do you recommend burning them in for?

post #388 of 554

Any recommendations on a carrying case? The storage pouch which came with the portapros are long since gone. :)

 

Hard cover preferred but not absolutely necessary...
 

post #389 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphones View Post

Any recommendations on a carrying case? The storage pouch which came with the portapros are long since gone. :)

 

Hard cover preferred but not absolutely necessary...
 

Here you go, it's out of stock but might be able to find one on ebay.

http://www.koss.com/en/products/accessories/Carrying_Case_B__Carrying_Case_B

 

Here's another one.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/headphone-case-pouch-carry-case-hard-case-for-koss-portapro-pp-dj-Headphones/601301368.html


Edited by RoMee - 4/4/13 at 7:34am
post #390 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphones View Post

Any recommendations on a carrying case? The storage pouch which came with the portapros are long since gone. :)

 

Hard cover preferred but not absolutely necessary...
 

A quick search on eBay gives this nice little case...

Portable Case For KOSS Portapro PP Dj Headphones

 

Same case that RoMee found :)


Edited by TrollDragon - 4/4/13 at 7:36am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Portapro Appreciation Thread