Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Portapro Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Koss Portapro Appreciation Thread - Page 25

post #361 of 600

Gave a set to my friend as I've just upgraded to a set of Shure SE425's. She just tried them and sent me this on Facebook:

 

"**** me - songs with your headphones sounds amazing

give me a shout when you want them back
**** me!!!!"
 
Think she's a fan.
post #362 of 600

Similar thing here. I had my friend listen to my PortaPros on my Clip+. He ordered both the next day.

 

Now that he has them, he says they completely blow away his $350 Bose headphones. (Shocker...)

 

He is definitely a fan, but bummed about spending $350 on his Bose!

post #363 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

BloodyPenguin, what earpads are those? They look quite comfortable.

They are just quarter modded Grado Ear Pads.

 

..


Edited by BloodyPenguin - 11/1/12 at 7:40am
post #364 of 600

Sooo... modified the Grado pads even further.  The pads were just too big.  So a pair of scissors and five minutes later.  I had this:

 

Ghetto KossGradoPros

 

(Brings the drivers just a little bit farther away from the ears, opens up the sound a lot.  Less bass, more detail and better soundstage).

 

 

 

(Took apart another pair of pads for the thin cloth you see in the middle).

 

 

..

post #365 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by heishiro View Post

love mine with grado bowls

 

cool - might give these a try

post #366 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPenguin View Post

Sooo... modified the Grado pads even further.  The pads were just too big.  So a pair of scissors and five minutes later.  I had this:

 

Ghetto KossGradoPros

 

(Brings the drivers just a little bit farther away from the ears, opens up the sound a lot.  Less bass, more detail and better soundstage).

 

 

 

(Took apart another pair of pads for the thin cloth you see in the middle).

 

 

Do the little pads above the temple pads touch your head?

post #367 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by the search never ends View Post
 

Do the little pads above the temple pads touch your head?

 

Just a little.  The larger pads I have on there do push them farther away from your temple.

 

I tried going back to stock pads to test them, but I really like the sound that comes from my ghetto pads instead.

 

..

post #368 of 600

I want to do a very simple mod on my trusty porta-pros: a quarter mod: will that be enough to make significant difference in SQ?

 

I have an extra pair of foam covers so no issues if I mess up. :)

post #369 of 600

Update: I tried the quarter mod--made little difference in SQ.

 

I did burn in my new-ish portapros for about 50 hours and they are so sweet now it's ridiculous. It seems as if the mids and highs have really opened up and sparkle just a little bit more. Same fat bass to excite as always. I don't think I'll ever buy a pair of headphones over $100, there's just no need.

post #370 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphones View Post

Update: I tried the quarter mod--made little difference in SQ.

 

I did burn in my new-ish portapros for about 50 hours and they are so sweet now it's ridiculous. It seems as if the mids and highs have really opened up and sparkle just a little bit more. Same fat bass to excite as always. I don't think I'll ever buy a pair of headphones over $100, there's just no need.

 

The Koss portapro/sportapro/ksc75 drivers are pretty crazy indeed. If you want to have fun with the sportapro's, see this great tutorial. I've had the portapro's and I have the ksc75's, but I'll definitely be trying out those sportapro mods!

post #371 of 600

Just got a set of these off of Amazon for about 30 bucks.

 

Man, I gotta say, as long as you've got a fairly quiet  listening environment? These are about the best 30 bucks anybody could spend on headphones, outperforming many others costing much much more.

 

My other cans are Grado GS1000's and Shure SE535's; also have a set of Beyer T1's in the house and some LCD-3's (my roommates cans) and so I don't compliment 30 dollar headphones very often. But trust me, I'd take these portapros over a whole lot of cans costing far more. 

 

But for truly portable listening? I mean, moving around, driving, commuting, working out and doing anything really where there's a lot of ambient noise? I don't think they are nearly so good as a good pair of isolating IEM's or closed cans ... they just leak too much (extremely open sounding). 

 

But as a second pair of desktop, portables? For the office and what not? Shiza ... can't go wrong. Great sound across the range (really surprised at the bass presence) and highly responsive to EQing (I'm using them with a Cowon J3 and add a few notches to either end of the freq range). Again, 30 bucks is insane. And being a child of the 80's (graduated HS in 86), I totally dig the robotic like, retro looks.

post #372 of 600

Agreed, I've got full sized and IEM's that retail for quadruple the PortaPro's and I rarely even bother with them anymore. So much fun.

post #373 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

Just got a set of these off of Amazon for about 30 bucks.

 

Man, I gotta say, as long as you've got a fairly quiet  listening environment? These are about the best 30 bucks anybody could spend on headphones, outperforming many others costing much much more.

 

My other cans are Grado GS1000's and Shure SE535's; also have a set of Beyer T1's in the house and some LCD-3's (my roommates cans) and so I don't compliment 30 dollar headphones very often. But trust me, I'd take these portapros over a whole lot of cans costing far more. 

 

But for truly portable listening? I mean, moving around, driving, commuting, working out and doing anything really where there's a lot of ambient noise? I don't think they are nearly so good as a good pair of isolating IEM's or closed cans ... they just leak too much (extremely open sounding). 

 

But as a second pair of desktop, portables? For the office and what not? Shiza ... can't go wrong. Great sound across the range (really surprised at the bass presence) and highly responsive to EQing (I'm using them with a Cowon J3 and add a few notches to either end of the freq range). Again, 30 bucks is insane. And being a child of the 80's (graduated HS in 86), I totally dig the robotic like, retro looks.

 

Driving while listening to headphones is illegal in CA, I believe. At some point, we have to realize that it's probably not a good idea to be using headphones 24/7. 

post #374 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphones View Post

 

Driving while listening to headphones is illegal in CA, I believe. At some point, we have to realize that it's probably not a good idea to be using headphones 24/7. 

 

 Well that's about the... (censored) ... thing I've read all day.

 

;-)

 

I only a few words to say in response to that:

 

 

...

 

(I'll probably get hit by a dump truck while running with my IEM's but it would be a good death,  an honorable death)

 

;-)

post #375 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

Just got a set of these off of Amazon for about 30 bucks.

 

Man, I gotta say, as long as you've got a fairly quiet  listening environment? These are about the best 30 bucks anybody could spend on headphones, outperforming many others costing much much more.

 

My other cans are Grado GS1000's and Shure SE535's; also have a set of Beyer T1's in the house and some LCD-3's (my roommates cans) and so I don't compliment 30 dollar headphones very often. But trust me, I'd take these portapros over a whole lot of cans costing far more. 

 

But for truly portable listening? I mean, moving around, driving, commuting, working out and doing anything really where there's a lot of ambient noise? I don't think they are nearly so good as a good pair of isolating IEM's or closed cans ... they just leak too much (extremely open sounding). 

 

But as a second pair of desktop, portables? For the office and what not? Shiza ... can't go wrong. Great sound across the range (really surprised at the bass presence) and highly responsive to EQing (I'm using them with a Cowon J3 and add a few notches to either end of the freq range). Again, 30 bucks is insane. And being a child of the 80's (graduated HS in 86), I totally dig the robotic like, retro looks.

 

They are the most amazing little set of cans for the money with a really great Bass presence for the size of them.

The only thing I don't like is how bad they leak sound and it doesn't take much volume for others to hear what your listening too... other than that did I mention that these are the most amazing little set of cans! dt880smile.png

    

     Quote:

Originally Posted by newphones View Post

 

Driving while listening to headphones is illegal in CA, I believe. At some point, we have to realize that it's probably not a good idea to be using headphones 24/7. 

 

Thanks MOM, we'll all keep that in mind while where out and about amongst the texting drivers and the DUI people... tongue_smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Koss Portapro Appreciation Thread