Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica new wood cans...ATH-W5000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Technica new wood cans...ATH-W5000 - Page 3

post #31 of 289
the article says that this is a higher end model than the W1000 and if they exclude the L3000 the W5000 will be the best AT has made. I assume they are saying this only based on the prices though, although that's generally a good indicator.

anyways, releasing the W5000 as direct replacement for the W1000 doesn't make sense, since that would increase the price of the base ATH-W model too much and alienate too many buyers. for the past few years they've had a regular production W-series available for a reasonable price (W100 and W1000), with a limited edition model costing much more (W2002 and L3000) along with it. I doubt they'll deviate from that model since it seems to work pretty well, so I would view this as a replacement for the L3000 rather, although less expensive than its predecessor and in a slightly different direction.

so like overlunge already said, they are toning down the price a bit on their high end offering.

the article doesn't say whether these will be limited edition headphones though. would be interesting to know.
post #32 of 289
Nik,

You called it, the other day. Now I wonder if it will be available outside of Japan, not that it matters much. AYT999, thanks for the translation. This just never ends.
post #33 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayt999
the article says that this is a higher end model than the W1000 and if they exclude the L3000 the W5000 will be the best AT has made. I assume they are saying this only based on the prices though, although that's generally a good indicator.

anyways, releasing the W5000 as direct replacement for the W1000 doesn't make sense, since that would increase the price of the base ATH-W model too much and alienate too many buyers. for the past few years they've had a regular production W-series available for a reasonable price (W100 and W1000), with a limited edition model costing much more (W2002 and L3000) along with it. I doubt they'll deviate from that model since it seems to work pretty well, so I would view this as a replacement for the L3000 rather, although less expensive than its predecessor and in a slightly different direction.

so like overlunge already said, they are toning down the price a bit on their high end offering.

the article doesn't say whether these will be limited edition headphones though. would be interesting to know.
I will be quite surprised if the W5000 is limited production headphones, which would break the pattern/tradition of Audio Technica releasing the W/L headphones.

Audio Technica W series headphones to date in chronological order, red indicate limited production models:

ATH-W10VTG "Vintage" | Regular Production | 21st May 1996 | 38,000 Yen
ATH-W10LTD "Limited" | 2000 Units | 1st December 1997 | 50,000 Yen
ATH-W11JPN "Japan" | 2000 Units | 1st December 1998 | 65,000 Yen
ATH-W100 | Regular Production | 1st December 1999 | 42,000 Yen
ATH-W11R "Limited" | 800 Units | 1st December 2000 | 56,000 Yen
ATH-W2002 "Japan" | 1000 Units | 21st October 2001 | 100,000 Yen
ATH-W1000 "Sovereign" | Regular Production | 21st November 2002 | Market Price
ATH-L3000 | 500 or 550 Units | 21st November 2003 | Market Price

ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" | ? | 2nd December 2005 | 120,750 Yen


Overlunge
post #34 of 289
vBulletin despises your British English it seems.
post #35 of 289
A900 Limited Edition

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...13/autech3.htm









Double sided cable entry galore !!!


Overlunge
post #36 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlunge
I will be quite surprised if the W5000 is limited production headphones, which would break the pattern/tradition of Audio Technica releasing the W/L headphones.

Audio Technica W series headphones to date in chronological order, red indicate limited production models:

ATH-W10VTG "Vintage" | Regular Production | 21st May 1996 | 38,000 Yen
ATH-W10LTD "Limited" | 2000 Units | 1st December 1997 | 50,000 Yen
ATH-W11JPN | 2000 Units | 1st December 1998 | 65,000 Yen
ATH-W100 | Regular Production | 1st December 1999 | 42,000 Yen
ATH-W11R | 800 Units | 1st December 2000 | 56,000 Yen
ATH-W2002 | 1000 Units | 21st October 2001 | 100,000 Yen
ATH-W1000 "Sovereign" | Regular Production | 21st November 2002 | Market Price
ATH-L3000 | 500 or 550 Units | 21st November 2003 | Market Price

ATH-W2005 "Reffinato" | ? | 2nd December 2005 | 120,750 Yen

I don't know about you, but the pattern that I see is that after marketing one unlimited model AT came out with two limited models in a row, followed by one unlimited mmodel and then two limited ones. Based on that pattern, the 1000's are the unlimited model and the 3000's are the first limited model after the 1000's. That could well mean that the 5000's are also going to be limited (i.e. the second limited model before the pattern starts repeating itself).

It is equally possible that AT don't give two flipping hoots about what head-fiers think about patterns...


Also, it should be "W5000" and not 2005, and "Raffinato", not Reffinato.
post #37 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayt999
vBulletin despises your British English it seems.
Yeah... my bad, darn colours... oops, did it again.


Overlunge
post #38 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugano-san
I don't know about you, but the pattern that I see is that after marketing one unlimited model AT came out with two limited models in a row, followed by one unlimited mmodel and then two limited ones. Based on that pattern, the 1000's are the unlimited model and the 3000's are the first limited model after the 1000's. That could well mean that the 5000's are also going to be limited (i.e. the second limited model before the pattern starts repeating itself).

It is equally possible that AT don't give two flipping hoots about what head-fiers think about patterns...
haha... the release of limited production '45th Anniversary Edition' is inevitable. So who knows! Guess we will find out when 2nd of December comes!


Overlunge
post #39 of 289
How much the price for A900 Limited Edition?
post #40 of 289

RUHLMANN

In any event, I've always had a faible for Art Deco, and I've always been into Macassar, which means I find these headphones very attractive. Certainly much more so than the tan L3000's and maybe even more so than the green ones.

Macassar is such an expressive material, and its grainy pattern and the combination of its natural colors is much more interesting than the comparatively plain look of dyed leather. The difference between the 2002's and the 5000's is that the wood of the 2002's has been upgraded through Japanese workmanship (lacquer, etc.), while the 5000's wood is so interesting by itself that it also speaks for itself.

I like that approach. It reminds me of the best musical instruments (which, incidentally, are not normally leather-coated).
post #41 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laosu
How much the price for A900 Limited Edition?
36,750 Yen approximately $320 USD...


Overlunge
post #42 of 289
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken36
For Xmas sake. I got up at 5AM and you guys are already out of the starting gate. A must have. Go team ATOWF

oh... it is evening in Hong Kong now , and so do Japan
post #43 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlunge
36,750 Yen approximately $320 USD...


Overlunge

Do you know where I can get this A900 LE?
post #44 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laosu
Do you know where I can get this A900 LE?
According to the webpage, A900LTD will be released 25th November, I guess it will be available (eventually) at Audio Cubes, Bluetin, maybe PriceJapan?


Hope that helps,
Overlunge
post #45 of 289
Oh ok Thanks heaps dude


Nice!
Laosu
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica new wood cans...ATH-W5000