Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Irony of Calling iPod Users "Sheep"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Irony of Calling iPod Users "Sheep" - Page 4

post #46 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Danger
Well I think iTunes is superior to drap and drop, I only have to sync with one computer. SO THERE!

Exactly - You HAVE to sync with only ONE computer.
I can get music from my friend's computer, from the school computers, from my various computers in the house...all which have vast 10GB+ libraries of my ripped CD's and those free mp3's that some artists offer from the internet.

So...There?!
post #47 of 114
You have your music on your friend's computer?
post #48 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Danger
You have your music on your friend's computer?
The act of sharing music. Can't say I haven't done that myself
post #49 of 114
Thread Starter 
I haven't been able to keep up with this thread of late because (1) last night was Saturday, in the name of Edna St. Don't-You-Ever-Go-out-on-the-Weekend, and (2) I awakened this afternoon to discover that an extremely decent family member is suffering from a shattering and painful illness. For that reason, my participation here is going to be limited until Tuesday.

To those who feel inclined to defend their choice of a DAP: The title of this thread is not "The Irony of Choosing a DAP Other Than an iPod," it's "The Irony of Calling iPod Users Sheep." The irony is not that one has chosen another kind of DAP, it is that one has made generalizations about the kind of person who makes another choice. It is amazing to me that certain posters on this thread have failed to comprehend this distinction and have simply assumed, from selective reading, that this is an iPod advocate's thread. Really, who cares which DAP one chooses? Twice on this thread, I've reiterated that I consider the iHP120 and 140 to be superior to any iPod; that, but for the cost, I'd have owned an iHP120 for the past few years.

Read before you post. I have not once suggested that the only reason people buy other DAPs is because they despise the iPod. If that is the argument you're responding to, then you haven't understood.

The specific irony I'm pointing to is this: The act of labeling everyone who uses a different player from yours as blind consumers makes you subject to exactly the same label you wish to apply to them. That irony is now underlined by hapless responses from pro-iPod, anti-iPod and neither/nor-iPod tribes defending their choices.

Yes, in an absolute sense, we are all sheep, all subject to consumer manipulation (to the degree that we feel we need to purchase luxury items). But that's not my point. This thread speaks to those who imagine they are escaping the consumer mindset by favoring one product over another. By declaring your branded tribe to be less mindless than another, you admit your own mindlessness. Prior to your unconscious confession, no admission was made.

It's saddening that attempts to refute my logic have revealed a too-rudimentary grasp of logic itself.
If argumentative posters had been paying attention, they could have made an obvious case against my position: If a person who calls people lemmings is also a lemming, then the person who calls people lemmings who call people lemmings is also a lemming. Therefore, scrypt, too, must be a lemming, correct?

I kept waiting for someone to make that point, since that would suggest a certain level of informed detachment. Unfortunately, no one did, and people got stuck in adolescent defenses of their pseudo-individuality.

What's amusing about the phrase "Think Different[ly]" is that it invites you to think in a conformist way while congratulating yourself on being nonconformist. What's even more amusing is the idea that refusing to Think Different means buying something other than what you're being told to buy and then congratulating yourself on being nonconformist. Whichever choice you make, by buying something and then buying into the idea of product decisions being an emblem of nonconformity, you're a posterfoont for the efficiency of cultural brainwashing.

Ultimately, nonconformity is expressed through your ideas -- by what you articulate -- not which luxury tribe you happen to buy into. The time we waste making eerily familiar generalities about groups of users would be better spent talking about particular DAPs and individual user experiences. Anyone can be insulted, judged and betrayed; there's no challenge in that. Trolling is not only a waste of time, it's a waste of trust.

But offering insights about your own experience and specific perceptions -- that's rather more interesting. The devil might be in the details, but so, my friend, are you.
post #50 of 114
Thread Starter 
Parting props:

Quote:
What scares me is the possibility that the futility of this sort of post and the irony that ensues is a representative microcosm of the real world. Help.
jesse_w:

Exactly. Nicely said.

vherub:

Exceptionally said.

Other posters have said insightful things along the way as well. Thanks for that. (I'd thank you all by name, but this isn't the Academy Awards.)

Also: It occurs to me that my last post is perhaps insufficiently empathetic to those who might have felt attacked during the course of this thread. If anyone feels slighted, I apologize. Only, the person in my family I mentioned before has memory problems that have caused her to regress to the most painful moment of her life and relive it -- over and over. Because I'm writing hastily, I'm perhaps not being sufficiently careful about my tone.
post #51 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl
Exactly - You HAVE to sync with only ONE computer.
I can get music from my friend's computer, from the school computers, from my various computers in the house...all which have vast 10GB+ libraries of my ripped CD's and those free mp3's that some artists offer from the internet.

So...There?!
I haven't been following this thread, and I only read the 3rd page.. but reading your comment I feel compelled to clarify this misconception.

You can connect an iPod to ANY computer and get music from it, as long as it's not set up for auto-sync (update). When it's set up with manual sync, it can be connected to any computer, no problem.

There is also other software to use if you don't like iTunes, which allows you to copy music back to your computer.
post #52 of 114
Wow! I guess I'm showing my age, but back in 2001, I bought my first Mac. When Apple introduced the first Ipod(which I bought) it was no big deal, it wasn't even windows compatible. I guess all this happened when Apple released itunes for windows. Before that, it was no big deal to mac. users, it was still considered a luxary back then. Kinda of a well kept secret.
post #53 of 114
I don't have much to add, besides I'm surprised how many people have missed the actual statement in the original post, and that I wish you would post such observations more often scrypt as they are completely accurate in my mind.

I would not claim to be as educated in this area, but I am curious if you have seen the movie Fight Club. I have not read the book so I don't know how much of the book is based on this idea, but there is a similar point made about being consumers out of desire, not necessity. That said, the solution in that movie was to make a home made bomb and blow the useless possessions out of the window. Something tells me that's a bit extreme.
post #54 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt
Read before you post. I have not once suggested that the only reason people buy other DAPs is because they despise the iPod. If that is the argument you're responding to, then you haven't understood.
I went back and read your first post...
Sorry to go off topic, I just read a couple replies and posted my thoughts about THOSE posts. I do that at Head-fi cuz most threads aren't so...deep :P

I don't really have anything to reply to your 'message'. I agree with you but I guess I just don't care. Music is music, even if you buy into the iPod's white status symbol or even if you don't buy it becuase you hate that it is a staus symbol. You got your music to go and that's all that matters...in my little musical mind anyways.

D'oh! I just went off topic again. Basically, I see your point and thanks for sharing it. It's a good message to hear.

Ps. I'm 17 and I think I'm probably just an idiot but I have to re read pretty much every sentance you write. Your posts are articulate, yes, but consise? No. Which is ok, but makes for a long and kinda difficult read for 'young' idiots like myself. (I can almost guarentee you're going to come back and tell me you're lik a 15 year old genious or something...)
post #55 of 114
Scrypt,

Very interesting thread…perhaps the most thought provoking I’ve ever seen in the Portable Head-Fi section.

I can’t help but wonder how this might all play out in a world devoid of marketing. If products were merely displayed with prices and specs...absent even of brand names. If ipods were simply “mp3 player X” & irivers brand “Y”.

I can’t help thinking that ipods would still be the top seller, even in a marketing vacuum. If we strip all the brain manipulation away, we’re left with the core influences…visual cues, tactile feel, features, specs, price, and oh yea, “how does it sound?”.

BTW, I’m an iriver owner & self-confessed semi-anti-apple guy. Oh yea baby...I’m most definitely a sheep! Funny how it sounds like a confession at an AA meeting.

Peace,

Graz
post #56 of 114
Sometimes it's important to state the obvious.

A more eloquent response could not be written.

Well done,

Matt (15 gig, 2-year-old ipod user)
post #57 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt
To those who feel inclined to defend their choice of a DAP: The title of this thread is not "The Irony of Choosing a DAP Other Than an iPod," it's "The Irony of Calling iPod Users Sheep." The irony is not that one has chosen another kind of DAP, it is that one has made generalizations about the kind of person who makes another choice. It is amazing to me that certain posters on this thread have failed to comprehend this distinction and have simply assumed, from selective reading, that this is an iPod advocate's thread. Really, who cares which DAP one chooses? Twice on this thread, I've reiterated that I consider the iHP120 and 140 to be superior to any iPod; that, but for the cost, I'd have owned an iHP120 for the past few years.
Scrypt - this is not the impression that I had from reading your original post. Now that you've explained yourself, I do agree, and I think that conforming to non-conformism is just as limiting as conformism itself. However, I don't think that you worded your original post very well. I also thought the tone was more scathing than it was intended to be, hence my equally scathing response.

Anyway, all misunderstandings aside, we're on the same page.
post #58 of 114
What a load of crap. You are brainwashed by ipod commercials, admit this fact and everyone is happy. I bet you paint yourself all black and dance around with your ipod in your hand. Sheep.
post #59 of 114
/\/\/\ lmao

if that wasn't a joke/troll post then you, my friend, are THE coolest antipod to date
post #60 of 114
It's a sad day for pachyderms everywhere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Irony of Calling iPod Users "Sheep"