Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best "concept" albums of progressive rock/heavy metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best "concept" albums of progressive rock/heavy metal - Page 4

post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Fpolis View Post
Adding to the list

Spock´s Beard - Snow

Snow is a beauty.

In a genre where so many records are in 'concept' form in one way or another, it is really tricky to pick a favourite, let alone a 'best'. Ziltoid the Omniscient by Devin Townsend has been getting a lot of head-time from me recently.
post #47 of 63
Frank Zappa - Thing Fish (an album to truly blow your mind - you really should give it a listen)
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage Acts I,II and III.
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Suspense....
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Gotta love good tunes.
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusMcToon View Post
The prog concept album is definitely the guiltiest of guilty pleasures and I confess I lost my taste for this kind of thing. I don't really do this type of music anymore, but I'd pick these:

1. Genesis. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Still sounds good 30 years later. Arguably, this should count as a great "last" album. A few horrific months later, you find Phil Collins singing 10 minute songs about mice. Gated drums are just a few years away.

2. The Wall. Sorry they made the bad concept movie out of this. It's still respectable.

3. Tales from Topographic Oceans. The height of prog rock excess and Jon Anderson flakiness. Insufferably great. I used to actually like Relayer too. Unlistenable.

4. Gentle Giant - Interview. The songs are the interview. Wow. This one was very hard to find, and I liked it best because it had less of that faux-medieval stuff these guys did early in their career. It rocked harder.

5. Quadrophenia - Well, this is a classic. I preferred the songwriting on this to Tommy, on which I always found RD to be unrelentingly annoying. Wait. I always find Roger annoying. I've channelled all that I couldn't understand about the who into a deep passion for the very Who inspired Guided By Voices. GbV has led me back to enjoying the Who a bit.

6. Welcome Back My Friends...no no no, spare us we were just leaving, not arriving....

7. Songs from the Wood. More of that pleasant neo-medieval stuff that gave you zits and made you feel vaguely intellectual. Maybe the Gentle Giant records were better than this.

8. Do you count Muswell Hillbillies or the Village Green Preservation Society? Nah.


I'm sorry. I'm a prog dropout.

Bwahahah! This is a most amusing post. Dead on accurate and written with great humor. Love it.


I think I have a couple to add:

Lou Reed - Berlin and New York (Berlin tell the story of a woman *tramp..cough* and New York is a salute to the big apple. You could argue that Springsteens 'Nebraska' is a mild concept album)

No one mentioned Neutral Milk Hotels' "In the Aeroplane over the Sea"? I see it as a concept album since it has recurring motifs and flows so beautifully. Love it to death.

Kink's Schoolboys in Disgrace and Soap Opera

Nick Cave's "Murder Ballads" is about as bleak of a concept album (and strangely funny as I've heard).
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry View Post
Good lord did you guys see how ancient this thread is?
Member since 02. You're pretty ancient too!

I've been in a big Therion mood lately, so most of their naught output would be fine with me. If forced, I'll go with Lemuria.
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post
Every Pink Floyd album from DSotM to The Division Bell is a concept album.
Concepts in brilliance! But for my top five, DSotM and The Wall make the list!
post #51 of 63
In the world of digital downloads (introduced first as a download):

Radiohead - In Rainbows
post #52 of 63
Tool - Lateralus
Tool - 10,000 Days
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
Concepts in brilliance! But for my top five, DSotM and The Wall make the list!
Oh man! Where's the love for Wish You Were Here?

To me there's The Wall, and then there's everything else. I go back and forth with which I prefer. To me though, The Wall is the king of the concept albums.
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post
Oh man! Where's the love for Wish You Were Here?

To me there's The Wall, and then there's everything else. I go back and forth with which I prefer. To me though, The Wall is the king of the concept albums.
Ross...it's in the top ten...likely #6. But for me DSotM is the tops Floyd concept album.
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
Ross...it's in the top ten...likely #6. But for me DSotM is the tops Floyd concept album.
So much Floyd, so hard to choose... I'd be interested to know where you place Animals? The Wall is my favorite. Then I have DSotM and WYWH next. I have Animals and The Final Cut next and MLoR and Division Bell following up the rear of the Pink Floyd concepts. Somewhere in the middle of it all is The Man and the Journey shows they did in 1969 (the year I was born by the way).

Those guys were friggin' awesome.
post #56 of 63
My ratings for my top Floyd albums (all):

DSotM
The Wall
Wish You Where Here
Meddle
Animals
Atomic Heart Mother
Final Cut
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Division Bell
the rest...

All great, but some greater than others!

Too bad Gilmore and Waters hate each other!
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusMcToon View Post
1. Genesis. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Still sounds good 30 years later. Arguably, this should count as a great "last" album. A few horrific months later, you find Phil Collins singing 10 minute songs about mice. Gated drums are just a few years away.
All in a Mouse's Night is pretty good if you ask me.
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
My ratings for my top Floyd albums (all):

DSotM
The Wall
Wish You Where Here
Meddle
Animals
Atomic Heart Mother
Final Cut
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Division Bell
the rest...

All great, but some greater than others!

Too bad Gilmore and Waters hate each other!
If we're talking about all of Floyd's stuff, that's different....

Meddle
Wish You Were Here
The Wall (yes I know)
DSotM
A Saucerful of Secrets
Ummagumma
Animals
Atom Heart Mother
Obscured By Clouds
Relics
The Piper At The Gates of Dawn
All others

I really wasn't a big fan of the post Waters stuff.

Pink Floyd's ideas for a concept started before Dark Side with The Man and the Journey shows they did at the end of the 60's. They wanted to make it an album but most of the songs they used for TMatJ shows were from previously released songs and they already had the Ummagumma Live album (the second part of Ummagumma being the studio album of original songs) that was released. I've heard the ROIOs of TMatJ and they're amazing even if the audio quality isn't that great.
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusMcToon View Post
The prog concept album is definitely the guiltiest of guilty pleasures and I confess I lost my taste for this kind of thing. I don't really do this type of music anymore, but I'd pick these:


6. Welcome Back My Friends...no no no, spare us we were just leaving, not arriving....



I'm sorry. I'm a prog dropout.
lol. i laughed really hard at this......

emrson lake and palmer are good.
post #60 of 63
Uuummm, The Mars Volta anyone? Everything apart from Octahedron...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best "concept" albums of progressive rock/heavy metal