New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brilliant Pebbles - Page 6  

post #76 of 87
Thread Starter 
Why does what I say matter so much to a handful of people here? My comments will stand or fall on their own merit. You don't need to answer them if you don't want to. Besides, this is a discussion, not a contest. If you disagree with me on something and you feel it's worth your time to reply, calmly explain why and I'll provide you with the same respect. There's no reason to get all emotional. If what I say irritates you that much, just skip over my posts. Life is too short to worry about what people say on the internet.

See ya
Steve
post #77 of 87
actually a thread like this matters to a lot of people, they just chose not to get involved. A quick search in this forum should have many threads similar to this. This isn't the first one. matter of fact about 2-3 of these popped up in the past week or so.

One of the main reasons for no DBT in this forum was to avoid threads such as these, since they ALWAYS turn ugly.
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot
1) Look at the "Show Pictures of your portable rig" thread
I saw these threads but I did not saw a 400 USD IC in these threads.
A few minutes ago I run a thread internal search for “400” in both threads and could not find one either.
So, where are these “college students” with the 400 USD “interconnects to hook up a $500 CD player to a $50 cmoy”?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot
2) See the Six Moons link
Read the question again. It was not about the Six Moon site.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot
3) The Mark Twain quote was "Everybody is ignorant... just on different subjects." Do you understand the difference between ignorance and stupidity?
No.
It was the “shut your mouth up and have people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt” one.

You are giving avoiding answers and don’t back up your claims so far.

Cheers
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnB180
One of the main reasons for no DBT in this forum was to avoid threads such as these, since they ALWAYS turn ugly.
Exactamundo!!! Why can't we have a place where we can discuss cables without the krapola identified by markl and others that regularly populates these threads? Then everyone who wants to talk about the placebo effect, DBT's, objectivision, etc. can choose to ignore US. They can go rant about the "fools" on another forum. I mean, I suppose if my obnoxious uncle visits, I can try to ignore him, but I'd rather that he just not visit.
post #80 of 87
PhilS... pssssssssssssst, check out this poll/thread...

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135894
post #81 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl
PhilS... pssssssssssssst, check out this poll/thread...

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135894
Thanks! I have cast my vote.
post #82 of 87
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
A) I saw these threads but I did not saw a 400 USD IC in these threads.
B) Read the question again. It was not about the Six Moon site.
C) It was the “shut your mouth up and have people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt” one.
A) There are kits in there that have $400 worth of cables in them... mini to minis, rca to rca, headphone cables, etc. I wasn't saying that people were paying $400 for a single cable, although I don't doubt such a thing probably exists.

B) The site I linked to had testimonials from customers. You may personally believe that the site made them all up. The differences in syntax and phrasing in the various messages tell me they didn't. I don't doubt for a minute that there are people who actually believe Brilliant Pebbles improve the sound of their systems. But if you wanted an independent review, the Six Moons article was also linked in my post to show that audiophile magazines and websites frequently resort to the same sort of uncritical, purely subjective analysis.

C) That particular Twain quote is... "It's better to remain quiet and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." It's a good quote. Would you mind linking to the context? I'm guessing that the post I was replying to was considerably more rude than Mark Twain was. If it wasn't, I'll apologize.

See ya
Steve
post #83 of 87
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS
Exactamundo!!! Why can't we have a place where we can discuss cables without the krapola identified by markl and others that regularly populates these threads? Then everyone who wants to talk about the placebo effect, DBT's, objectivision, etc. can choose to ignore US.
Believe it or not, I do ignore threads that are about specific cables. You're free to wax poetic and bang the drum for your favorite brand. But if the thread title is "Do cables really make a difference?", I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to post.

Who do you suppose is thread crapping in this particular thread about Brilliant Pebbles? (Hint... It isn't me!)

See ya
Steve
post #84 of 87
Steve,

Stop with your ranting! I KNOW that cables make a difference for me because me and my friend/roomate have done extensive testing, where we've had no idea which cable we were going to hear, and there was absolutely no order at all at which the cables changed. I could simply tell a big difference between a high-end cable and a cheap one. So could my roomate. I don't care what gibberish you throw at us - I know that it works because I can, under controlled testing, under scientific method, easily distinguish between two different cables.

Do I think "magic pebbles" work? No, but they have a very specific market of rich, gullible idiots. There are plenty of those out there. The people making that stuff are business men, and not audiophiles.

Everything you do to your audio system makes a change of some sort. With stupid "magic pebbles", the change is indestinguishable. With cables, however, it's quite obvious to me. Maybe you're losing your hearing. Maybe you've simply never performed such tests before. Maybe you have tin ears. I don't know the reason, but something tells me you've never tried out of your ignorance... and that's just what it is. Ignorance.

I give EVERYTHING one chance, at the very least. I make decisions on my own. Scientists do the same thing. The only things that are proven true are those that can be proven with mathematics, where an if-then statement can be converted into a 1=1 mathematic equation.

Use common sense here. In this discussion, you have no credible evidence for your theory. Some people in threads like this have given these claims about how they can tell the differences with ease. I'm among them. I, like you, thought that cables didn't make a difference -- then I actually tested myself. And... I know now that, after the extensive, unpredictable, and controlled testing, that I can conclude with a theory: Cables can make an effective, audible impact on your stereo system's sound quality.

However, you do not offer any kind of evidence - not even subjective evidence. Again, use common sense. You have nothing over others who think differently than you. You claim to have a lot of knowledge in the audio engineering field, but you haven't used your knowledge in one clear, identifiable, or intelligent way yet. Get going.
post #85 of 87
Thread Starter 
I'm not ranting... I'm perfectly calm. I'm not saying that you can't hear the difference between cables. I understand that a cable can be designed to modify the sound.

My point is that for the typical good stereo system, there are much more effective and cost-efficient ways to improve the quality of sound than by upgrading cables. Better speakers, better amplification, careful equalization, room tweaks... all of these things can make MUCH more of an improvement than fancy cables. $100 cables are perfectly fine for a $100 grand system. But for a $5000 system, there are other areas where the money is better spent.

What's so controversial about that?

See ya
Steve
post #86 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot
I'm not ranting... I'm perfectly calm. I'm not saying that you can't hear the difference between cables. I understand that a cable can be designed to modify the sound.

My point is that for the typical good stereo system, there are much more effective and cost-efficient ways to improve the quality of sound than by upgrading cables. Better speakers, better amplification, careful equalization, room tweaks... all of these things can make MUCH more of an improvement than fancy cables. $100 cables are perfectly fine for a $100 grand system. But for a $5000 system, there are other areas where the money is better spent.

What's so controversial about that?

See ya
Steve

Steve, you are not ranting but you are baiting. Yes, I agree that there are usually areas (other than cables) that deserve the largest percentage of one's audio dollars. Unfortunately, some of us have different ears than you. Cables really do not offer any perceptable increase in audio quality to my ears. I look for athetics, quality of build, and flexibility on my cables. On the other hand, SACD and HDCD source CDs offer much greater improvements to my ears than redbook CDs (same session, same enginnering, same levels, SBT, and so on).

So, in summary, you should be thankful that cables are low on your list. I surmise others either have the expensive systems and can detect the differences (or do not need to worry about the money spent) - or the cables do offer a discernable difference in quality.

I know some who cannot tell the difference between 192 kbps MP3s and the source CD. Good for them, they can compress to their heart's content. I have a much lower tolerance for compression and can hear the differences due to lossy compression.
post #87 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl
Give me a break! Have you read any of what I've posted in this thread? It's typical, again the automatic assumption from a skeptic that someone who is capable of hearing cable differences must automatically believe in these pebbles. Well, if that's your opinion of the typical Head-Fier, then again, I'd ask why you bother to hang out on a site obviously riddled with people you are prejudiced against and consider to be rubes and nimrods? Not many people around here for you to relate to, I'd imagine, so if it's not for company, I suspect it's strictly for trolling.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked