Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro !!! - Page 2

post #16 of 24

They use the exact same driver as the Premium version and their driver is very similar to the ones used in the DT880 and DT770. People who own all three cans love to post about how different they are but in reality, they sound very similar to each other due to how similar their designs are. The DT990 has slightly more bass and treble than the DT880, which is in comparison far more neutral and flat. The differences are not enormous though. 

 

They can't realistically be compared to the ATH-M50 because they are open headphones, unlike the Audio Techinica, which is closed. The ATH-M50 has more bass but the DT990 actually has some of the best bass amongst open-back headphones - fairly pronounced and impactful while being quite controlled as well. The DT990 has far better imaging and soundstage and it is also more crisp and clear in the high frequencies (a feature that the DT880 and DT770 also have, its the Beyerdynamic trademark orthodynamic-esque speed and crispness that all these models share). Even with all this treble emphasis, the DT990 is very rarely sibilant, whereas the ATH-M50 actually does occasionally venture into sibilance. 

 

I own the DT990 Pro myself and they are my favorite can so far. I like their slightly smiley frequency response curve and they are still flat enough for monitoring use. I love how they are a combination of the amazing refinement and treble details of the DT880 with a slightly darker sound signature due to the boosted bass - you get the best of both worlds in one can. The disadvantage of this situation is that the mids are a little recessed compared to the other frequencies but this is only in comparison with the DT880 - if we are to evaluate the DT990 without comparing it to its brother, the mids are actually still really good.

 

Finally, the DT990 Pro is priced extremely well. It uses the same drivers as the Premium model and it is just as refined as you'd expect a previous Beyerdynamic flagship / reference headphone to be. This is quite a good bargain at the price that it is going for.


Edited by jupitreas - 10/28/11 at 11:01pm
post #17 of 24

Love mine. They are particularly great with rock and the Woo3.

post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

They use the exact same driver as the Premium version and their driver is very similar to the ones used in the DT880 and DT770. People who own all three cans love to post about how different they are but in reality, they sound very similar to each other due to how similar their designs are. The DT990 has slightly more bass and treble than the DT880, which is in comparison far more neutral and flat. The differences are not enormous though. 

 

They can't realistically be compared to the ATH-M50 because they are open headphones, unlike the Audio Techinica, which is closed. The ATH-M50 has more bass but the DT990 actually has some of the best bass amongst open-back headphones - fairly pronounced and impactful while being quite controlled as well. The DT990 has far better imaging and soundstage and it is also more crisp and clear in the high frequencies (a feature that the DT880 and DT770 also have, its the Beyerdynamic trademark orthodynamic-esque speed and crispness that all these models share). Even with all this treble emphasis, the DT990 is very rarely sibilant, whereas the ATH-M50 actually does occasionally venture into sibilance. 

 

I own the DT990 Pro myself and they are my favorite can so far. I like their slightly smiley frequency response curve and they are still flat enough for monitoring use. I love how they are a combination of the amazing refinement and treble details of the DT880 with a slightly darker sound signature due to the boosted bass - you get the best of both worlds in one can. The disadvantage of this situation is that the mids are a little recessed compared to the other frequencies but this is only in comparison with the DT880 - if we are to evaluate the DT990 without comparing it to its brother, the mids are actually still really good.

 

Finally, the DT990 Pro is priced extremely well. It uses the same drivers as the Premium model and it is just as refined as you'd expect a previous Beyerdynamic flagship / reference headphone to be. This is quite a good bargain at the price that it is going for.


Thank you so much for the comparison. I will be getting the DT 990. :)

post #19 of 24


Thanks for the detailed review ,it has helped me decide which breyer to get , the dt990 pro will be added to my collection .dt880smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

They use the exact same driver as the Premium version and their driver is very similar to the ones used in the DT880 and DT770. People who own all three cans love to post about how different they are but in reality, they sound very similar to each other due to how similar their designs are. The DT990 has slightly more bass and treble than the DT880, which is in comparison far more neutral and flat. The differences are not enormous though. 

 

They can't realistically be compared to the ATH-M50 because they are open headphones, unlike the Audio Techinica, which is closed. The ATH-M50 has more bass but the DT990 actually has some of the best bass amongst open-back headphones - fairly pronounced and impactful while being quite controlled as well. The DT990 has far better imaging and soundstage and it is also more crisp and clear in the high frequencies (a feature that the DT880 and DT770 also have, its the Beyerdynamic trademark orthodynamic-esque speed and crispness that all these models share). Even with all this treble emphasis, the DT990 is very rarely sibilant, whereas the ATH-M50 actually does occasionally venture into sibilance. 

 

I own the DT990 Pro myself and they are my favorite can so far. I like their slightly smiley frequency response curve and they are still flat enough for monitoring use. I love how they are a combination of the amazing refinement and treble details of the DT880 with a slightly darker sound signature due to the boosted bass - you get the best of both worlds in one can. The disadvantage of this situation is that the mids are a little recessed compared to the other frequencies but this is only in comparison with the DT880 - if we are to evaluate the DT990 without comparing it to its brother, the mids are actually still really good.

 

Finally, the DT990 Pro is priced extremely well. It uses the same drivers as the Premium model and it is just as refined as you'd expect a previous Beyerdynamic flagship / reference headphone to be. This is quite a good bargain at the price that it is going for.



 

post #20 of 24

i completely disagre,set of cans own audio technica ath-ad700, sennheiser hd 650,akg k702,audio technica ath-ad900,audio technica m50 ,ultrasone edition 8,and my piercing high and overly recessed mids beyerdynamics dt990 pro.i purchased the dt 990 pro because of iresponsible reviews.normally i always audition headphones first.i googled dt 990 pro and it is the dt880 pro with emphasis on low and piercing highs,overly recessed mids.dt 990 pro is not flat nor neutral its v shape EQ.they say dt 990 pro frequency response is 5hz to 35 kz but they distort because ot their v shape frequency not on the level of my other cans and will sell or give away

post #21 of 24

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro are the best headphones currently in my possession, which isn't saying much, but I can't imagine a more clear and more fun headphone. The bass and trebles are strong on these and the soundstage is nice and wide. The sound can be fatiguing for music listening in long stretches, but that doesn't mean to say that it IS fatiguing. But some will find it to be just that, it's a subjective personal thing.

 

The thing I love about the DT 990 Pros are that the bass and treble are so good that in movies you really feel like you're there in the scene such is the brilliance of the clarity of spoken word and ambient sounds.

 

I also love how they're fairly well detailed for music too whilst not lacking for bass. 

 

What I don't like however, is the internal cable wiring. It's shoddy. I've been through 2 pairs in the last year and a half. Not good! 

post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by phileguy View Post

i completely disagre,set of cans own audio technica ath-ad700, sennheiser hd 650,akg k702,audio technica ath-ad900,audio technica m50 ,ultrasone edition 8,and my piercing high and overly recessed mids beyerdynamics dt990 pro.i purchased the dt 990 pro because of iresponsible reviews.normally i always audition headphones first.i googled dt 990 pro and it is the dt880 pro with emphasis on low and piercing highs,overly recessed mids.dt 990 pro is not flat nor neutral its v shape EQ.they say dt 990 pro frequency response is 5hz to 35 kz but they distort because ot their v shape frequency not on the level of my other cans and will sell or give away


I definitely agree with this. The 990 Pros sound good until you try out other high-end cans. When comparing, it will be clear what the weaknesses that the 990 pro have and one of the first you will notice is the lack of neutrality/flatness.

post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post


I definitely agree with this. The 990 Pros sound good until you try out other high-end cans. When comparing, it will be clear what the weaknesses that the 990 pro have and one of the first you will notice is the lack of neutrality/flatness.

I love the DT990 Pros.  They are a good compliment to the HD650s.  As many others have posted, don't get fooled by the 250ohm rating, they require a lot of power to bring out the low-end.  They have a pretty pronounced V sound signature.  But they fill in nicely with a good amp.

post #24 of 24

I have 770's, 880's and 990's and I find them to all have a different sound. That being said, I enjoy all of them, especially for rock music. They all have good bass and good treble although the treble can be a bit harsh ... especially with the 990's. All are super comfortable and well built. I'm driving them with a Beyer A1 Amp. Next spring, I'm looking forward to purchasing T1's.

 I am aware of the "V" shaped sound of these ... especially the 990's. When I was a teen I had a car stereo called a Pioneer SuperTuner which had a built-in equalizer. I always found myself increasing the bass and treble and slightly reducing the mids ... effectively creating that V-shaped sound. Some people enjoy that EQ.


Edited by Parula - 9/6/12 at 1:26am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro !!!