Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just lost an ebay auction for a pair of K340
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just lost an ebay auction for a pair of K340 - Page 4

post #46 of 64
Yup. Audiogon. Talk about luck. That was me.

Replacing the wiring (if you are up to it), makes a HUGE difference at the top and bottom end. Nothing lacking anymore. Very extended, and quite a tight bottom, like a true electrostat.

I'll be curious as to Jude's impressions.
Maybe his will be out of phase too!
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by FCJ
Also, today I ordered replacement pads for the K145s. The woman who took my order told me that they no longer have replacement pads for the 340s.
The replacement pads for the 240 should (it appears...I have both) fit...can't figure out why they wouldn't.

Oh well....
post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by elrod-tom
The replacement pads for the 240 should (it appears...I have both) fit...can't figure out why they wouldn't.

Oh well....
The woman told me that they stopped carrying replacement pads for the 340s long ago. Glad the 240 pads work. I should be getting mine any day.
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Number9
Yup. Audiogon. Talk about luck. That was me.

Replacing the wiring (if you are up to it), makes a HUGE difference at the top and bottom end. Nothing lacking anymore. Very extended, and quite a tight bottom, like a true electrostat.

I'll be curious as to Jude's impressions.
Maybe his will be out of phase too!

OHHH!!! I was second in line on that one!!! You seem nice enough, though...I take back what I said about you at the time.

post #50 of 64

akg diaphragms

My first pair of headphones (purchased about 25 years ago!) was a pair of AKGs with six orange diaphragm thingies on each can. I can't remember the model number...might those have been 145? Or 235?

I thought they sounded great out of my receiver jack, but I had nothing to compare them to..

I think I threw them out just a couple years ago because of problems with the cheap cord that I was too lazy to fix....
post #51 of 64
I don't think they were the 145s, which were sold from 1984-1989.
post #52 of 64
So I haven't heard anything from Jude about his 340's. Wonder how he likes them??

post #53 of 64
I was wondering the same thing. . . .
post #54 of 64
They just arrived today. They're in near perfect condition. They look almost like they've never been used. They shiny chrome paint on the raised letters/numbers on each earpiece are not even a little rubbed off. The only sign of age is that the little pieces of string that tension the headband have lost their elasticity, and so their ability to pull the headband back down. The previous owner jury-rigged a solution for this, tying (tightly) black plastic tie-wraps around the headband, and then cutting off the slack. These make for stoppers, and you have to manually adjust them to get the headphones to the correct size.

I'd consider sending these to AKG for service to get this elastic auto-sizer fixed, but, now that I have them set to my head size, I can't see any reason to ship them out again unless absolutely necessary.

I still can't get over the condition of these things. Even the 1/4" plug seems like it's hardly been used, the cable is in flawless condition, as is the rest of the headphones, except for the elasticity thing I mentioned earlier.
post #55 of 64
Quote:
They just arrived today.
Well?
post #56 of 64
Yes...yes...yes...

But do you like the way that they SOUND????

post #57 of 64
I just opened the box up and hooked them up to my Audio Alchemy HPA v1.0 with Power Station Two power supply (one of my office amps).

It is just way too early for me to make any comments about them sonically, but they do make an impressive first impression. Realizing that there's a certain excitement upon receiving a new product (new-old product in this case), more listening is required for me to understand what they mean to me sonically.
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by jude
I just opened the box up and hooked them up to my Audio Alchemy HPA v1.0 with Power Station Two power supply (one of my office amps).

It is just way too early for me to make any comments about them sonically, but they do make an impressive first impression. Realizing that there's a certain excitement upon receiving a new product (new-old product in this case), more listening is required for me to understand what they mean to me sonically.
Alright..............................We'll give you an hour.
post #59 of 64
Perhaps TWO hours...

I feel your pain re) the elastic...couldn't they have done a bit better with that thing design-wise?? I just knotted mine off a bit shorter and that worked out just fine.

I'm particularly interested in how you feel about them vs the Senn600...although I will be a hard sell. I am, after all, a member of Team AKG.

post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by jude
I just opened the box up and hooked them up to my Audio Alchemy HPA v1.0 with Power Station Two power supply (one of my office amps).

STILL at work...ugh!! Me too...oh well. I envy you your office rig...mine is AKG K240 w/ TAH and Sony D25S. Better than the CD-Rom drive, but not on par with yours.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just lost an ebay auction for a pair of K340