Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Gasoline prices: the end of an era.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gasoline prices: the end of an era. - Page 6  

post #76 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74
Vehicle makers already improve MPG as they progress but it is not and should not be mandated....
You're not correct. Vehicle fuel efficiency is already mandated in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...e_Fuel_Economy
It's been this way since the first 70's oil shock. The reason why vehicles have been getting more efficient over the years is largely due to the CAFE regulations, not because manufacturers naturally want to make more efficient vehicles. Innovation is expensive, and it's easier to just keep selling yesterday's old technology than design and produce something new. The whole reason SUVs get such poor gas mileage to begin with is because of a loophole in the CAFE regulations which exempts them from all but the most basic standards.

Without regulations like this, it is much more difficult for vehicle manufacturers to sell vehicles with fuel-efficient technologies here, because it would mean they'd have to stick their neck out and risk doing something their competitors aren't. (e.g. Even Toyota's most fuel-efficient conventional vehicle sold in the US, the Echo, lacks the "engine stop when not moving" feature that the Japanese version has.) Fuel efficiency regulations create a level playing field that every manufacturer has to adhere to.

Even though vehicle manufacturers (particularly GM and Ford) have been fighting rises in CAFE tooth and nail over the years, those regulations have helped to improve national security by reducing the US' dependence on foreign oil. The US would be in a much worse strategic situation without them.
post #77 of 240
Quote:
...real price of Gasoline for the past century...
I just stumbled on this article during my routine economy related reading.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/commen...sis/index.html
post #78 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanY
You're not correct. Vehicle fuel efficiency is already mandated in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...e_Fuel_Economy
It's been this way since the first 70's oil shock. The reason why vehicles have been getting more efficient over the years is largely due to the CAFE regulations, not because manufacturers naturally want to make more efficient vehicles. Innovation is expensive, and it's easier to just keep selling yesterday's old technology than design and produce something new. The whole reason SUVs get such poor gas mileage to begin with is because of a loophole in the CAFE regulations which exempts them from all but the most basic standards.

Without regulations like this, it is much more difficult for vehicle manufacturers to sell vehicles with fuel-efficient technologies here, because it would mean they'd have to stick their neck out and risk doing something their competitors aren't. (e.g. Even Toyota's most fuel-efficient conventional vehicle sold in the US, the Echo, lacks the "engine stop when not moving" feature that the Japanese version has.) Fuel efficiency regulations create a level playing field that every manufacturer has to adhere to.

Even though vehicle manufacturers (particularly GM and Ford) have been fighting rises in CAFE tooth and nail over the years, those regulations have helped to improve national security by reducing the US' dependence on foreign oil. The US would be in a much worse strategic situation without them.
Very different from the mandate being discussed and this is based on a average for the manufactures vehicles and the only penalty is fees. Read that last paragraph, it's not the evil American SUV makers paying the fees! As far as the "mandate" I guess I was thinking of something more specific (less general as suggested) to each vehicle and one that would not allow the sale of such vehicles, I guess we were just on a different page.
post #79 of 240
In that article about the tax break, I burst out laughing at this line...

Quote:
She's already taken her H2 off road in the snow and has used it to pull her son in a sled on Crystal Mountain.
Well. 100 pounds certainly must have put a massive strain on it. Let's not even get into the inherent danger in doing something like that. But c'mon... what happened to pulling the kid yourself? Hell, I used to do that in Nebraska in the fields. Great strength training; hill sprints with a big load behind you.

/hates city people and their misuse of massively overpowered vehicles.
post #80 of 240
I paid $3.05 for premium on Friday and have seen it as high as $3.25 here in San Diego, and it's still going up!
post #81 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Well. 100 pounds certainly must have put a massive strain on it. Let's not even get into the inherent danger in doing something like that. But c'mon... what happened to pulling the kid yourself?
Are you kidding? That would involve that nasty thing called "exercise," I mean God forbid the woman actually break a sweat! It would also mean an increase in the quality of time spent with her kid, but that would mean she'd have to get off the cell phone first...

Man, I'm bitter today...
post #82 of 240
Thread Starter 
I think this latest round of fuel price increases is going to hit the resale value of larger cars, mini-vans, pick-ups and SUVs to a noticeable degree like it did during the first crunch in the 70's ..... new sales as well.

I've even considered getting a scooter to handle short errands within the city. If it wasn't for the fact I weigh 270 lbs and would look like a circus bear riding one, I would have done-so by now.
post #83 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Yeah but a thread complaining about high gas prices isn't really FOR your type mr roller. The gas prices don't affect you in the least. Getting your money back because you can afford an investment advisor to tell you how to manage your wealth, it must be nice but it's just a luxury like all your other luxuries. A bragging point if you will.

When you start rolling your spare change in your house to pay for a couple gallons of gas to get to work, then you'll be feeling it.

EDIT: Don't look at this as me being jealous of someone who's rich. It's just a pet peeve when the rich don't really understand what "broke" really is. A friend of mine who has plenty in the bank has done this a couple times. His wallet is empty so he declares himself "broke". I set him straight real fast.

Where did that come from? You seriously took what I said the wrong way but since you did,please allow me to make a point along those lines. Is there anyone here who did'nt read or hear about the warnings of record fuel prices? They began last fall and became deafening this winter and spring. Those warnings amounted to a free, sure-fire stock tip right from the mouths of nearly every market analyst on every cable and network news and financial program as well as every single mainstream news print and market publications that I can think of and Google while I'm writing this. You did'nt have to be rich,own stock or be market savvy to get the idea that all these "experts" could'nt be wrong.

The fact is,what's expensive to you is expensive to me. Fuel is expensive right now but I've done things to lessen the blow. I work for a living and always have. I drive a 1994 Chevy S10 pick up around everyday and the only thing you're likely to hear me brag about it is that it gets 22mpg on my daily trip to and from my job.
post #84 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephonovich
In that article about the tax break, I burst out laughing at this line...
my favorite was the part about how she just has to push a button to call someone from her Hummer. You can get that in just about any car these days. Man the average consumer really pisses me off
post #85 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Are you kidding? That would involve that nasty thing called "exercise," I mean God forbid the woman actually break a sweat! It would also mean an increase in the quality of time spent with her kid, but that would mean she'd have to get off the cell phone first...

Man, I'm bitter today...
I have this simultaneously hilarious and sad image of a soccer mom yakking on a cell phone, puttering forwards in 4x4 Low towing her kid. Except in my version, it continues on with her slipping off the side of a cliff due to a lack of knowledge of reduced traction surfaces, and dying in a magnificient fireball. But maybe that's just me.

As for stock prices, I heard about it. I know a couple of people who bought stock and did/are doing very well. I, being about 16 at the time, didn't really think much about it. If I'd had a job, and thought about it, I probably would have purchased some. Or found someone to do it for me - not much on the legality of minors purchasing stock.

I have no grudges towards those who are doing better than I due to intelligence or hard work. It's the celebrities and the ones born into it who piss me off:P Ever watch 'Material World' on TLC? I caught one show a few nights ago. Disgusted me. This guy was bitching out his contractors because the color of his grout in his pool wasn't right. Also, the tile was 'too sparkly'. He made them rip it all out, at their expense, and re-do it. While this was going on, he took his yacht to an island and had champagne and shrimp cocktails brought over via boat. Head, wall, bang...
post #86 of 240
Too lazy to read through the thread but has anyone mentioned Canadian gas prices? Here in Alberta they are at about 93 cent/litre. Translation: Over $3.50 a gallon. Funny thing is, this is where lots of the gas is coming from. Doesn't make sense to me. You'd think it'd be cheaper at the source.

JV.
post #87 of 240
WOw. Gas has really gotten expensive around the country.

I'm used to higher gas prices in California. But last time I filled up, it was around $2.65/gallon.

People will pay the higher prices and will continue to drive gas guzzler vehicles.

The end of the SUV is not emminant.

We only need worry when there are real gas shortages. But if we start worrying at that time, it's too late.

Where is my fusion powered flying car, anyways?

-Ed
post #88 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_JV
Too lazy to read through the thread but has anyone mentioned Canadian gas prices? Here in Alberta they are at about 93 cent/litre. Translation: Over $3.50 a gallon. Funny thing is, this is where lots of the gas is coming from. Doesn't make sense to me. You'd think it'd be cheaper at the source.
It is cheaper at the source. Alberta gas prices are the lowest in Canada. Everyone else in Canada is paying more than $1.00/litre. It's not really because Alberta is the source though, it's because Alberta has the lowest gas taxes in Canada. 40% of the cost of gas in Canada is tax.
post #89 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanY
It is cheaper at the source. Alberta gas prices are the lowest in Canada. Everyone else in Canada is paying more than $1.00/litre. It's not really because Alberta is the source though, it's because Alberta has the lowest gas taxes in Canada. 40% of the cost of gas in Canada is tax.
I was not comparing it to the rest of Canada. I was comparing Canada to the US.

JV.
post #90 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood
Where is my fusion powered flying car, anyways?
It's stuck in R&D...having some trouble with the flux capacitor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Gasoline prices: the end of an era.