Thanks for the insight, I will pass on them for now... If I find a set for cheap I'll try them out.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard... Last post on 7/13/14 at 9:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which sennheiser over ear headphones actually have good bass response? Last post on 7/3/12 at 5:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser-closed Last post on 8/1/12 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD580 > HD650? Last post on 8/19/11 at 10:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Want truly high end headphones - look no further than your local WALMART!!! Last post on 10/19/11 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
EDIFIER M710 On-ear headphones This is the third Edifier headphones I review and it conclude a very pleasant travel in Edifier Sound world. I discover that a brand mostly know for his...
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
Purchase link:http://www.aliexpress.com/item/TC200/32633785024.html I was a strong believer that the more expensive the headphones are the better they sound. After hearing Earbell (or Mrice) E100,...
Most people hate this headphone because of annoying treble spike and low mid treble but if just need to tweek EQ to see its potential.
The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread - Page 104post #1546 of 157111/12/15 at 6:30pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1547 of 15712/8/16 at 3:40amQuote:Originally Posted by Aliceinbassland
Hey 580 owners, I'm trying to decide if I should go out and acquire a set of these. I own the predecessor of the 580, the HD560 Ovation. I've also owned the HD600. They both have really nice sound signatures. So between the 560 & 600... am I missing anything by not owning or even hearing the 580's? Anyone own or hear all 3? Any thoughts are appreciated...
The funny thing is you can easily find some guys here who will tell you that HD 560 Ovation (first version, not Ovation II) are the headphones to appreciate most. Just check out the HD 540s thread.post #1548 of 15712/8/16 at 8:56ampost #1549 of 15714/23/16 at 6:43pmpost #1550 of 15714/24/16 at 3:36ampost #1551 of 15714/27/16 at 11:57pmQuote:
I found a pair in Italy, mint apparently
Fingers crossed...post #1552 of 15714/28/16 at 2:17ampost #1553 of 15714/28/16 at 4:36am
Finnaly bought 2nd second version of HD 580 (early "made in Ireland" from ~1998). I didn't even need to compare with previously bought 3rd version (late "made in Ireland" version before introduction of version with white drivers). It's just like they were two different pairs of headphones. What the newer version suffers from, older one excels in - I mean mainly treble and coloration. Shy treble vs pleasant and accurate one. Veil vs tonal balance. A bit muddy bass vs very deep, faithful enough bass. Funny how much confusion the variety of 580 versions brings to reviews, opinions, ratings, Are they veiled? Are they as good as HD 600? Well, depends on which one you have.post #1554 of 15714/28/16 at 9:00am
This version stuff confuses me. Box says mine are made in Ireland and were bought in December 1993 from Headroom. Serial number is 191xx. Flat "HD580 Precision" nameplate. So what does that make them? Second version?
Edited by Bob A (SD) - 4/28/16 at 9:04ampost #1555 of 15714/28/16 at 10:59pm
I'm not entirely sure which is which either. From what I know, there are four:
- Made in Germany - very hard to find, probably sound is closer to classic HD 540 and HD 560
- Early Ireland made with flat name plate - my previous post
- Mid Ireland made with raised name plate - my previous post
- Late Ireland made with bright driver screen and raised name plate - this is the one I know least about, I mean how they sound.
I'm not saying the 3rd one is a bad pair of headphones. It just has significantly different sound characteristics to the 2nd one, not suitable for me.
There's a lot of information about HD 600 driver versions too. My guess is one HD 580 and one HD 600 version share the same driver.
My point is, the differences are not minor, they are not negligible. You don't need to compare under laboratory conditions. They are obvious.post #1556 of 15714/29/16 at 2:56ampost #1557 of 15714/29/16 at 3:31amQuote:
Not that I know of unfortunately.post #1558 of 15714/29/16 at 11:22ampost #1559 of 15714/29/16 at 11:40amYou got me thinking now, my box in roof space, so ill check later for number.But i picked mine up new Jan 2003 from a uk hifi shop in the winter sale... Dont know which version i have. They have the raised HD 580. Precision tab on both sides.......?
Whats this about the Late version having bright driver screen ?
You dont mean the grey covers do you ?post #1560 of 15714/29/16 at 2:44pm
I posted this before, but here we go...
The thing about bright and dark drivers is really about bright and dark drivers' screens. Drivers themselves differ too, but that's another topic.
2nd and 3rd versions have dark drivers' screens. Different, but both dark:
Probably I shouldn't go so far, but there's possibility this is what the difference in sound is caused by.
This is how the bright driver's screen looks like (4th version):
- The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM 33 seconds ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 34 seconds ago
- › need a good aux cable 56 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods. 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 4 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › Dunu TITAN 3 by mark2410
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by moedawg140
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse