Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard... Last post on 7/13/14 at 9:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which sennheiser over ear headphones actually have good bass response? Last post on 7/3/12 at 5:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser-closed Last post on 8/1/12 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD580 > HD650? Last post on 8/19/11 at 10:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Want truly high end headphones - look no further than your local WALMART!!! Last post on 10/19/11 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
This headphone has a quite good sound quality for its price. Its sound is very clear, the mids and highs are well detailled. The bass is tight but some recordings sound lacking bass. It needed a...
Gratitude and greetings go out to RHA Team and @Glassmonkey - thank you so much for giving me the...
Recently got ordered these Mee AudioRunaway on-ear headphones as I had some wellness program points that were going to expire. I have had the MEE audio M-Duo Dual Dynamic Driver In-Ear Headphones...
Deep, Dark but not Handsome?! Disclaimer Firstly, I would like to thank Pandora for sending these to me for the purpose of this review. All impressions will be made from an objective...
The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread - Page 73post #1081 of 16131/3/10 at 7:19am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1082 of 16131/3/10 at 7:21amQuote:Browsing my favorite thrift store for some cheap vinyl today and decided to walk over to the electronics area (found a nice CD player about a year back) where I was extremely surprised to find a pair of Sennheiser HD 580's sitting on the shelf. I immediately grabbed them and plugged 'em into my iPhone to see if they worked. Immediately blown away is truly the only way to describe my feeling.
I now have an amazing pair of headphones that cost $4. These are most definitely replacing my DR150's, they just sound so much more relaxed and smooth. Needless to say, I'm truly amazed by these headphones.post #1083 of 16131/3/10 at 8:39ampost #1084 of 16131/3/10 at 8:43amQuote:Welcome to Head-Fi!! congrats on your purchase. There is a guy that sells the 600 grilles on eBay, but I haven't seen them for a few weeks. I also saw a set on the FS forum here (cables, speakers, tweaks, accessories) but they sold quickly. Since these are a purely cosmetic mod, I'd not sweat it too much. $50 US/grille is outrageous, I'd say hell no to that too.
30 bucks each... woofpost #1085 of 16131/3/10 at 1:23pmI just got a pair from another Head-Fi'r- I had the HD650 before and liked them but eventually sold them to buy other things. I figured I would put 650 drivers in them but the way they sound to me now leaves me thinking they are fine as is. A nice surprise at how good they sound (balanced in particular).post #1086 of 16131/3/10 at 7:08pmI definitely freaked out a bit when I saw them, since I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd find a recent pair of headphones at a thrift store.
Having used them for about a day now, I stand by my original statement, they really are amazing. The best thing is that I don't really notice them on my head, which is great and hard to find since I have a kind of large head and wear glasses. Combined with the amazing sound, I feel like I've settled on a great pair of phones. Honestly, the price was definitely a cool part, but I'd easily pay well into the $150-$200 range for these (can't go much more, with the student budget). I now need to either get an amp or have my Starving student parts mailed up from home and finish it.post #1087 of 16131/23/10 at 6:15pmQuote:
...post #1088 of 16131/23/10 at 6:54pmpost #1089 of 16131/23/10 at 8:28pmpost #1090 of 16131/23/10 at 11:01pmQuote:I definitely freaked out a bit when I saw them, since I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd find a recent pair of headphones at a thrift store.
Having used them for about a day now, I stand by my original statement, they really are amazing. The best thing is that I don't really notice them on my head, which is great and hard to find since I have a kind of large head and wear glasses. Combined with the amazing sound, I feel like I've settled on a great pair of phones. Honestly, the price was definitely a cool part, but I'd easily pay well into the $150-$200 range for these (can't go much more, with the student budget). I now need to either get an amp or have my Starving student parts mailed up from home and finish it.post #1091 of 16132/2/10 at 1:47amQuote:I have a pair on loan right now. If yu are using a computr as your source, get a NuForce uDAC to drive them. Mine arrived a few days ago and it made a nice difference. Bass extension, clarity, etc. Very well worth it.
If the recording technique was good, it's a dream come true system.
If the recording technique lacks, it will be revealed, and you will wish they had taken more care with the source.
Great system, IMO.
...post #1092 of 16134/11/10 at 4:02pmThread StarterWow, in my prolonged absence this thread grew nicely! I've been running the same pair of HD580's for the last, what was it... four years now or so. They've aged exquisitely. I don't have any more grattle in one side except at literal near ear-bleeding volumes, the cable has been replaced with the HD-650 variant, the grilles are still the HD-600 variant, and the veil is but a distant memory since I replaced the foam driver lining with vinyl mesh. I'm still running the classic Z-Audio Mu with them, in its stock dual AD8023 (?) configuration with my Power Mac G5 dual core as the audio source. To this day, those 'phones perform with a spectacular signature of balanced sound, and thus they remain my all-time favorite pair of 'phones.post #1093 of 16134/13/10 at 2:20pmpost #1094 of 16135/2/10 at 5:25pmI am happy to say i just bought this headphone from another member with the HD650 cable and grilles.And i love it!I don't think it has any flaws.It reproduces all the frequencies beautifully.It is true to the source.Down to the quality of the mp3.I think it has enough bass impact and extension for a "bass head" like myself.And i truly believe no one reproduces the "highs" better then Sennheiser.So unfatiguing!So comfortable.Finally a headphone i can wear for hours without any fatigue from the sound or comfort wise.I am currently using my 10 year old Harmon Kardon AVR 20II.Which is doing a great job of providing the proper current and voltage.But i would like some suggestions on an amplifier.I'm not sure if solid state or tube is the way to go.I have read the Little Dot MK III is a great mate.post #1095 of 16135/30/10 at 7:23am
I got my HD580s from another member here three days ago and have been listening to them since then. They have 600s grill and 650s cable and are around 6 years old or so. They sound so different than my beloved MS1is. I love both of them. Can't wait to plug them into my Audio GD Sparrow which is on its way to me now.
- The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Prog rock 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Sacramento Mini meet 4 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 5 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by MentalDraco
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear