Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard... Last post on 7/29/12 at 6:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which sennheiser over ear headphones actually have good bass response? Last post on 7/3/12 at 5:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser-closed Last post on 8/1/12 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD580 > HD650? Last post on 8/19/11 at 10:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Want truly high end headphones - look no further than your local WALMART!!! Last post on 10/19/11 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
The Sennheiser HD580 Appreciation Thread - Page 83post #1231 of 138012/24/12 at 12:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1232 of 138012/27/12 at 8:24am
Are these HP particularly good or specialize in mainstream R&B, Hip-Hop, or Country. Do they isolate well and are comfortable? And is it pointless to get a HP of this caliber, if just listening to MP3’s on the go?post #1233 of 138012/27/12 at 8:43amQuote:
Yes and no...and yes and yes... unless you have an amp. Are you sure you're in the right thread? These are open phones. they don't isolate well and they need amplification. You ideally would want a low impedance phone to listen out of an iPod or similar portable device without an amp.post #1234 of 138012/27/12 at 9:11am
Thanks for the reply. I'm willing to get an amp, but I must of overlooked the fact that they are open cans (I apologize). Can you recommend any closed cans that excel at the above in the Sennheiser brand?post #1235 of 138012/27/12 at 3:00pmpost #1236 of 138012/27/12 at 3:45pmpost #1237 of 138012/28/12 at 7:22am
I would be coming from a CAL!. And I'm considering those brands too as I've asked similiar questions in they're dedicated enthusiast threads. Just doing my research...I've read a ton and now try to get people's opinions. I'm not in a situation where I can try before I buy so I ask a lot of questions. Thanks for your help!post #1238 of 138012/28/12 at 7:50am
Check out the big Beyerdynamic dt250 thread. That may get you closest to the hd580 sound. Very nice closed phones....can't really go wrong with those, imo. I used to own them but for some reason or other they skipped my mind.post #1239 of 13801/23/13 at 6:10pm
have to bump this thread as a I found a pair of 580s on the local Craigslist for $40. Great price but they needed new earpads, headband pad and cord. I bought new pads and an HD650 cable and am back in business. I've owned 650s, 600s and 580s before and always fall in love with them again. Just a fantastic all rounder! I think they are also excellent for streaming music from services like MOG, Spotify etc as they manage the trick of having good detail without having an overly analytical high end
Edited by Vaughn - 1/23/13 at 6:12pmpost #1240 of 13801/27/13 at 1:10pm
it seems it's HD 580 bargain time, as I was also able to get a pair for $90.
I was really looking for some great deal on HD580/HD600 for months... and I'm so happy I finally got my first Hi-Fi can.
Right now I own HD555, Sony V6, JVC HSA400 and Superlux 668, so all cans quite easy to drive with my Fiio E6..which I think is probably not enough to manage the 300 ohm impedance of the HD 580. So I guess I'd probably need to buy a new amp for them.
As I'm trying to save a bit of $ at the moment, which amp do you suggest in the < $60 range which would help with these Headphones ?
And regarding the mod mentioned all along this thread (replacing HD580 grills with HD600 ones - $12 each), can anybody help in pointing out a place (Europe delivery) where these can be bought ? It seems I can not find them anywhere on the web/ebay at the moment.
Thanks for your help.post #1241 of 13801/27/13 at 1:17pmpost #1242 of 13801/27/13 at 1:18pm
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement driver? I got careless with a screwdriver and busted the right side on mine.
FWIW the last few sets went for $180 on ebay... they're holding steady after all these years. I paid about $200 for mine 6 years ago.post #1243 of 13801/27/13 at 1:20pmpost #1244 of 13801/27/13 at 1:38pmpost #1245 of 13801/27/13 at 2:55pmQuote:
Thanks for suggestion, but I forgot to mention I'd need a "portable" amp, to keep next to my PC.
Connection chain would be: Foobar --> ELE DAC --> (need amp<$60) --> HD 580
- The Sennheiser HD580 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 9 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 37 seconds ago
- › ROCK-HARD CANADIAN MAPLE HEADPHONES 57 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion,... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 4 minutes ago
- › Best open 'overear' headphone (nevermind the price) 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Wadia 170i Transport and CI Audio power supply 6 minutes ago
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob