Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard... Last post on 7/29/12 at 6:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which sennheiser over ear headphones actually have good bass response? Last post on 7/3/12 at 5:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser-closed Last post on 8/1/12 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD580 > HD650? Last post on 8/19/11 at 10:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Want truly high end headphones - look no further than your local WALMART!!! Last post on 10/19/11 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
The Sennheiser HD580 Appreciation Thread - Page 73post #1081 of 13371/3/10 at 7:19am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1082 of 13371/3/10 at 7:21amQuote:Browsing my favorite thrift store for some cheap vinyl today and decided to walk over to the electronics area (found a nice CD player about a year back) where I was extremely surprised to find a pair of Sennheiser HD 580's sitting on the shelf. I immediately grabbed them and plugged 'em into my iPhone to see if they worked. Immediately blown away is truly the only way to describe my feeling.
I now have an amazing pair of headphones that cost $4. These are most definitely replacing my DR150's, they just sound so much more relaxed and smooth. Needless to say, I'm truly amazed by these headphones.post #1083 of 13371/3/10 at 8:39ampost #1084 of 13371/3/10 at 8:43amQuote:Welcome to Head-Fi!! congrats on your purchase. There is a guy that sells the 600 grilles on eBay, but I haven't seen them for a few weeks. I also saw a set on the FS forum here (cables, speakers, tweaks, accessories) but they sold quickly. Since these are a purely cosmetic mod, I'd not sweat it too much. $50 US/grille is outrageous, I'd say hell no to that too.
30 bucks each... woofpost #1085 of 13371/3/10 at 1:23pmI just got a pair from another Head-Fi'r- I had the HD650 before and liked them but eventually sold them to buy other things. I figured I would put 650 drivers in them but the way they sound to me now leaves me thinking they are fine as is. A nice surprise at how good they sound (balanced in particular).post #1086 of 13371/3/10 at 7:08pmI definitely freaked out a bit when I saw them, since I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd find a recent pair of headphones at a thrift store.
Having used them for about a day now, I stand by my original statement, they really are amazing. The best thing is that I don't really notice them on my head, which is great and hard to find since I have a kind of large head and wear glasses. Combined with the amazing sound, I feel like I've settled on a great pair of phones. Honestly, the price was definitely a cool part, but I'd easily pay well into the $150-$200 range for these (can't go much more, with the student budget). I now need to either get an amp or have my Starving student parts mailed up from home and finish it.post #1087 of 13371/23/10 at 6:15pmQuote:
...post #1088 of 13371/23/10 at 6:54pmpost #1089 of 13371/23/10 at 8:28pmpost #1090 of 13371/23/10 at 11:01pmQuote:I definitely freaked out a bit when I saw them, since I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd find a recent pair of headphones at a thrift store.
Having used them for about a day now, I stand by my original statement, they really are amazing. The best thing is that I don't really notice them on my head, which is great and hard to find since I have a kind of large head and wear glasses. Combined with the amazing sound, I feel like I've settled on a great pair of phones. Honestly, the price was definitely a cool part, but I'd easily pay well into the $150-$200 range for these (can't go much more, with the student budget). I now need to either get an amp or have my Starving student parts mailed up from home and finish it.post #1091 of 13372/2/10 at 1:47amQuote:I have a pair on loan right now. If yu are using a computr as your source, get a NuForce uDAC to drive them. Mine arrived a few days ago and it made a nice difference. Bass extension, clarity, etc. Very well worth it.
If the recording technique was good, it's a dream come true system.
If the recording technique lacks, it will be revealed, and you will wish they had taken more care with the source.
Great system, IMO.
...post #1092 of 13374/11/10 at 4:02pmThread StarterWow, in my prolonged absence this thread grew nicely! I've been running the same pair of HD580's for the last, what was it... four years now or so. They've aged exquisitely. I don't have any more grattle in one side except at literal near ear-bleeding volumes, the cable has been replaced with the HD-650 variant, the grilles are still the HD-600 variant, and the veil is but a distant memory since I replaced the foam driver lining with vinyl mesh. I'm still running the classic Z-Audio Mu with them, in its stock dual AD8023 (?) configuration with my Power Mac G5 dual core as the audio source. To this day, those 'phones perform with a spectacular signature of balanced sound, and thus they remain my all-time favorite pair of 'phones.post #1093 of 13374/13/10 at 2:20pmpost #1094 of 13375/2/10 at 5:25pmI am happy to say i just bought this headphone from another member with the HD650 cable and grilles.And i love it!I don't think it has any flaws.It reproduces all the frequencies beautifully.It is true to the source.Down to the quality of the mp3.I think it has enough bass impact and extension for a "bass head" like myself.And i truly believe no one reproduces the "highs" better then Sennheiser.So unfatiguing!So comfortable.Finally a headphone i can wear for hours without any fatigue from the sound or comfort wise.I am currently using my 10 year old Harmon Kardon AVR 20II.Which is doing a great job of providing the proper current and voltage.But i would like some suggestions on an amplifier.I'm not sure if solid state or tube is the way to go.I have read the Little Dot MK III is a great mate.post #1095 of 13375/30/10 at 7:23am
I got my HD580s from another member here three days ago and have been listening to them since then. They have 600s grill and 650s cable and are around 6 years old or so. They sound so different than my beloved MS1is. I love both of them. Can't wait to plug them into my Audio GD Sparrow which is on its way to me now.
- The Sennheiser HD580 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 1 second ago
- › Upgrade suggestions from SRS iWOW 3D for use with iPhone/iPad 46 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 46 seconds ago
- › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 6 minutes ago
- › Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] 6 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014 6 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe