Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser or Grado? [and NOT just hard... Last post on 7/13/14 at 9:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which sennheiser over ear headphones actually have good bass response? Last post on 7/3/12 at 5:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser-closed Last post on 8/1/12 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD580 > HD650? Last post on 8/19/11 at 10:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Want truly high end headphones - look no further than your local WALMART!!! Last post on 10/19/11 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end...
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
The Sennheiser HD580 Appreciation Thread - Page 73post #1081 of 14131/3/10 at 7:19am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1082 of 14131/3/10 at 7:21amQuote:Browsing my favorite thrift store for some cheap vinyl today and decided to walk over to the electronics area (found a nice CD player about a year back) where I was extremely surprised to find a pair of Sennheiser HD 580's sitting on the shelf. I immediately grabbed them and plugged 'em into my iPhone to see if they worked. Immediately blown away is truly the only way to describe my feeling.
I now have an amazing pair of headphones that cost $4. These are most definitely replacing my DR150's, they just sound so much more relaxed and smooth. Needless to say, I'm truly amazed by these headphones.post #1083 of 14131/3/10 at 8:39ampost #1084 of 14131/3/10 at 8:43amQuote:Welcome to Head-Fi!! congrats on your purchase. There is a guy that sells the 600 grilles on eBay, but I haven't seen them for a few weeks. I also saw a set on the FS forum here (cables, speakers, tweaks, accessories) but they sold quickly. Since these are a purely cosmetic mod, I'd not sweat it too much. $50 US/grille is outrageous, I'd say hell no to that too.
30 bucks each... woofpost #1085 of 14131/3/10 at 1:23pmI just got a pair from another Head-Fi'r- I had the HD650 before and liked them but eventually sold them to buy other things. I figured I would put 650 drivers in them but the way they sound to me now leaves me thinking they are fine as is. A nice surprise at how good they sound (balanced in particular).post #1086 of 14131/3/10 at 7:08pmI definitely freaked out a bit when I saw them, since I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd find a recent pair of headphones at a thrift store.
Having used them for about a day now, I stand by my original statement, they really are amazing. The best thing is that I don't really notice them on my head, which is great and hard to find since I have a kind of large head and wear glasses. Combined with the amazing sound, I feel like I've settled on a great pair of phones. Honestly, the price was definitely a cool part, but I'd easily pay well into the $150-$200 range for these (can't go much more, with the student budget). I now need to either get an amp or have my Starving student parts mailed up from home and finish it.post #1087 of 14131/23/10 at 6:15pmQuote:
...post #1088 of 14131/23/10 at 6:54pmpost #1089 of 14131/23/10 at 8:28pmpost #1090 of 14131/23/10 at 11:01pmQuote:I definitely freaked out a bit when I saw them, since I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd find a recent pair of headphones at a thrift store.
Having used them for about a day now, I stand by my original statement, they really are amazing. The best thing is that I don't really notice them on my head, which is great and hard to find since I have a kind of large head and wear glasses. Combined with the amazing sound, I feel like I've settled on a great pair of phones. Honestly, the price was definitely a cool part, but I'd easily pay well into the $150-$200 range for these (can't go much more, with the student budget). I now need to either get an amp or have my Starving student parts mailed up from home and finish it.post #1091 of 14132/2/10 at 1:47amQuote:I have a pair on loan right now. If yu are using a computr as your source, get a NuForce uDAC to drive them. Mine arrived a few days ago and it made a nice difference. Bass extension, clarity, etc. Very well worth it.
If the recording technique was good, it's a dream come true system.
If the recording technique lacks, it will be revealed, and you will wish they had taken more care with the source.
Great system, IMO.
...post #1092 of 14134/11/10 at 4:02pmThread StarterWow, in my prolonged absence this thread grew nicely! I've been running the same pair of HD580's for the last, what was it... four years now or so. They've aged exquisitely. I don't have any more grattle in one side except at literal near ear-bleeding volumes, the cable has been replaced with the HD-650 variant, the grilles are still the HD-600 variant, and the veil is but a distant memory since I replaced the foam driver lining with vinyl mesh. I'm still running the classic Z-Audio Mu with them, in its stock dual AD8023 (?) configuration with my Power Mac G5 dual core as the audio source. To this day, those 'phones perform with a spectacular signature of balanced sound, and thus they remain my all-time favorite pair of 'phones.post #1093 of 14134/13/10 at 2:20pmpost #1094 of 14135/2/10 at 5:25pmI am happy to say i just bought this headphone from another member with the HD650 cable and grilles.And i love it!I don't think it has any flaws.It reproduces all the frequencies beautifully.It is true to the source.Down to the quality of the mp3.I think it has enough bass impact and extension for a "bass head" like myself.And i truly believe no one reproduces the "highs" better then Sennheiser.So unfatiguing!So comfortable.Finally a headphone i can wear for hours without any fatigue from the sound or comfort wise.I am currently using my 10 year old Harmon Kardon AVR 20II.Which is doing a great job of providing the proper current and voltage.But i would like some suggestions on an amplifier.I'm not sure if solid state or tube is the way to go.I have read the Little Dot MK III is a great mate.post #1095 of 14135/30/10 at 7:23am
I got my HD580s from another member here three days ago and have been listening to them since then. They have 600s grill and 650s cable and are around 6 years old or so. They sound so different than my beloved MS1is. I love both of them. Can't wait to plug them into my Audio GD Sparrow which is on its way to me now.
- The Sennheiser HD580 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 5 seconds ago
- › [New open box] Audioengine A5+ Black 10 seconds ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 28 seconds ago
- › Best upgrade for an athm50? 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 2 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › XB500 Pads, What They Look Like, How To Remove, Mods (With Pics!) 5 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)