Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD595 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD595 Appreciation Thread - Page 63

post #931 of 965

Cool, thanks!  I am not too concerned with bass extension or quantity. I much prefer a well defined, controlled, punchy bass... which sounds like the Senns will not deliver but that may be their only pitfall. Can anyone with a small head confirm these as a good fit? I am definitely considering the HD595s as my first real step into the world of Sennheisers

post #932 of 965

@jamri -  Don't have a small head myself, but they should fit just fine I believe. If you want to be certain, perhaps try out a pair in a store somewhere? :)

 

Anyway, had mine for 3 years now. Using them with a Creative X-Fi Music.

I'm still very happy with them, overall they're quite good. I can only think of 2 downsides.

 

1. The bass is pretty much nonexistant on lower volumes. Turning the volume up high enough to hear the bass means fatigue kicks in rather quickly.

2. Sounds a bit too piercing at times. I'm not too familiar with the terminology on this subject, so it's a bit hard for me to explain.

 

Ordering an E7 + E9 tomorrow, don't expect much of an improvement over my current setup. Planning on getting an HD650 soon, which should be a bit less harsh and with better bass. Can't wait :)

 

I'd still recommend the 595s though. The fact that only after 3 years and an added incentive (crappy onboard laptop sound -> need a DAC -> might as well upgrade) one thinks of upgrading, should say enough!

post #933 of 965

I used mine for about three years with a X-Fi Fatality card in my game machine. Great high to low fidelity and not a whiff of fatigue often at high extended levels. Only tried music a few times directly out of a decent Denon stereo amp and no complaints there either. Currently using AKG 601's out of a Little Dot I+ with iPod / LOD source. From memory comparisons AKG gives more detailed and accurate highs with wider sound-stage. 595's gave more bass definition and warmth. 

They are currently in storage and even with AKG's on hand they are severely missed.

 

Small/mid head and fit and comfort is fine.


Edited by REDH0RN - 5/1/11 at 8:32pm
post #934 of 965

Just got my new, used HD595's in the mail this morning. I'm at work, so the source is my Cowon J3.

 

Coming from my HD25-1 II's there is certainly less bass, but more than I expected. Midrange and treble is clearly better on the 595, listening to Norah Jones right now and she never sounded this good and natural on my closed cans, the same goes for Tom Waits. Brillant, as I bought these to supplement the HD25 for vocals and acoustic music.

 

I have a new amp incoming (curse you, Head-fi, Slayer of Wallets!), a Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1. Hybrid tube and solid state amp, should be fun with the 595's smile_phones.gif

 

The cable on my 595 is slightly damaged, with a small hole in the outer rubber "cover" on the cable. No exposed wire or anything, but the seller included a brand new original spare cable, still in the sealed Sennheiser bag. Now I'm having a hell of a hard time deciding if I should replace the cable or if I should score the connectors for a custom cable... I do like me some Mogami copper...

post #935 of 965

Just listened to James Blake and Daft Punk. The HD595 does indeed have bass - if there's bass on the track! While not as punchy as my HD25-1, it's definetely there!

 

Time for some rap!

post #936 of 965

I've had my 595s for 3 years and I love them. I do crave a bit more bass in some recordings, but just more impact. The bass detail is there. Sadly, I've never tried these with a good amp. I bet they are even better with an amp!

post #937 of 965

Hi, I do not own the 595 myself but a friend of my do an he uses a Little Dot MK3, OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH MAAAAAAN, that amp made those cans sing. Everything got better including the bass.

post #938 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttodie View Post

Hi, I do not own the 595 myself but a friend of my do an he uses a Little Dot MK3, OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH MAAAAAAN, that amp made those cans sing. Everything got better including the bass.

Hah, I know this thread hasn't been posted in for some time, but this makes me happy to see! I was buying an HE-400 and a Little Dot MKIII, but I had to get one this month and one next month. I went with the MKIII and then saw a listing on here for the HD595 for $100 and got those to bridge the gap. Waiting on 'em both now. :]

post #939 of 965
Thread Starter 

I started this thread 7 years ago. I haven't been on head-fi for a while. Been busy and I managed to save a ton of money by not coming here. lol. Anyway, many cans have come and gone but the HD595 is still in my collection and I frequently go back to it especially when I'm on my laptop. Whenever I have visitors, they ask why I have so many headphones. They quickly understand once they listen to the hd595. Even though it doesn't excel at any one thing, the combination of sound, price, comfort, durability and design makes the hd595 awesome. It's the perfect gateway. 


Edited by nabwong - 12/7/12 at 8:36pm
post #940 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post

I started this thread 7 years ago. I haven't been on head-fi for a while. Been busy and I managed to save a ton of money by not coming here. lol. Anyway, many cans have come and gone but the HD595 is still in my collection and I frequently go back to it especially when I'm on my laptop. Whenever I have visitors, they ask why I have so many headphones. They quickly understand once they listen to the hd595. Even though it doesn't excel at any one thing, the combination of sound, price, comfort, durability and design makes the hd595 awesome. It's the perfect gateway. 

I have had mine for a year and a half. I love them.

Where do I move up from here?

post #941 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post

I started this thread 7 years ago. I haven't been on head-fi for a while. Been busy and I managed to save a ton of money by not coming here. lol. Anyway, many cans have come and gone but the HD595 is still in my collection and I frequently go back to it especially when I'm on my laptop. Whenever I have visitors, they ask why I have so many headphones. They quickly understand once they listen to the hd595. Even though it doesn't excel at any one thing, the combination of sound, price, comfort, durability and design makes the hd595 awesome. It's the perfect gateway. 

 

 

I've had or have LCD-2 Rev1, HE-500, DT880, HD598 and probably a couple I've forgotten, but I keep the 595 as a reference point of neutrality. To my ears it still doesn't commit any real sins.

post #942 of 965

Just got my HD 595's tonight. Compared to what I've listened with my whole life, WOW what a great change. These are my first audiophile grade headphones. This paired with my new sound card I have for my computer, I have to keep the volume at less than half. Still trying to fine tune the equalizer. I was lucky enough to be able to buy these off of someone that was cleaning out some of his 50 headphones. From what I've been reading is that they keep getting better the more you burn them in. These only have like 2 hours on them, so going to sound even better.....YEAH BUDDY!!!!

 

Oh yeah and anyone that is wondering of getting them and then sees that people saying there isn't any bass or lacking bass, there's bass, plenty of bass. Won't shake your face off, but even driven by my phone (GS3) I'm getting very strong thumpin. 

 

I am hearing reverb and sounds I would have never heard before.

post #943 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy02 View Post

Just got my HD 595's tonight. Compared to what I've listened with my whole life, WOW what a great change. These are my first audiophile grade headphones. This paired with my new sound card I have for my computer, I have to keep the volume at less than half. Still trying to fine tune the equalizer. I was lucky enough to be able to buy these off of someone that was cleaning out some of his 50 headphones. From what I've been reading is that they keep getting better the more you burn them in. These only have like 2 hours on them, so going to sound even better.....YEAH BUDDY!!!!

Oh yeah and anyone that is wondering of getting them and then sees that people saying there isn't any bass or lacking bass, there's bass, plenty of bass. Won't shake your face off, but even driven by my phone (GS3) I'm getting very strong thumpin. 

I am hearing reverb and sounds I would have never heard before.

Go to the market and splurge the dollar or two for the Jet Audio player. Cleanest android player I have found, with effects and a TWENTY BAND EQ.
post #944 of 965

New here and kinda in the same boat. bought the 595s off craigslist for like 90$ almost 3 years ago but never really appreciated them since i had them plugged in to my front headphone jack on my computer then about 3-4 weeks ago I found an old sony dreamsystem reciever that has an onboard DAC so I hooked that up to my PC via optical and plugged the 595s into it and wow love them that also made me dig up an old pair of ET r6 that I had for ever now. Needless to say I'm building my dream rig in my head and started saving for it.

post #945 of 965
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Man View Post

I have had mine for a year and a half. I love them.


Where do I move up from here?

Well it really depends on what your taste is. There's no one way to go. The 595 is kind of a middle point for me. From here, I branched out to grado, audio technica, beyer, akg, iems, etc. There are some headphones I feel everyone should try.

Grado rs-1
Audio technica ad2000
Sennheiser 600
Shure 530

Not even going to limited production ones yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD595 Appreciation Thread