Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Cardas Smurf Cables for Senn HD-600
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cardas Smurf Cables for Senn HD-600 - Page 2

post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd R


Hey Nezer,
I talked to Cardas yesterday, and they told me it would still be a couple weeks for the cables. I don't have any yet either, I was just trying to find out who wanted some in advance.
Todd R
Well, at least everyone is getting screwed equally. ;-) It says a lot that the demand has exceed supply to this degree. Unless Cardas is like Sony by intentionally holding-back supply to create demand, bit I somehow doubt it with this market as good products generate thier own demand.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Nezer


Well, at least everyone is getting screwed equally. ;-) It says a lot that the demand has exceed supply to this degree. Unless Cardas is like Sony by intentionally holding-back supply to create demand, bit I somehow doubt it with this market as good products generate thier own demand.
I don't think they are holding back.
Most companies want to actually sell the things they make, (especially small ones) or else they don't get paid!
I work in manufacturing and I can tell you that unexpected delays can pop up any time, especially if someone else is contracted to do some of the work, or make some of the parts for you.
post #18 of 36
Maybe they're getting some of the parts from Sugden.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd R


I don't think they are holding back.
Most companies want to actually sell the things they make, (especially small ones) or else they don't get paid!
I work in manufacturing and I can tell you that unexpected delays can pop up any time, especially if someone else is contracted to do some of the work, or make some of the parts for you.
I know, I was joking. Not many companies can afford Sony's marketing tactics and few products generate as much hype as the PS2 did for it to be successful.

With the PS2 they threw out just enough to make the people that didn't have them *really* want them. Really played-on the psychology of keeping-up with the Jones'. In the end it was a *very* successful strategy for Sony. I don't think Cardas could or even would do the same thing with a smurf-blue cable.

Certainly they could have picked a more attractive color than Smurf Blue though! The Clou Red really grabs your attention and the Blue just looks like a jewel. I really wish they had done something moderatly flashy with the cable but, how knows, maybe the reason they sound so good is because of that blue dye in the jacket!

Anyway, the ADHD kicked-in and took me off on a rant. No, I don't really thing Cardas is artifically keeping supply low to generate hype and therefore demand for thier product.
post #20 of 36

Re: Re: Cardas Smurf Cables for Senn HD-600

Quote:
Originally posted by bootman


For me the Cardias was one of the biggest surprises at the Headroom NY tour. I was shocked at the difference.
Can anyone explain why a cable would make a "shocking" difference in the sound? What physical differences or type of construction would cause a "shocking" change?

I've used many different wires and interconnects and I have found subtle differences ( the operative word "differences") but never a "shocking" improvement. Expensive cables are basically filters, subtle equalizers or coloration devices.
post #21 of 36

Re: Re: Re: Cardas Smurf Cables for Senn HD-600

Quote:
Originally posted by Beagle
Can anyone explain why a cable would make a "shocking" difference in the sound? What physical differences or type of construction would cause a "shocking" change?

I've used many different wires and interconnects and I have found subtle differences ( the operative word "differences") but never a "shocking" improvement. Expensive cables are basically filters, subtle equalizers or coloration devices.
I don't think you want to go here as it will erupt into WW3.

The only thing you can do is try it yourself and see. No one really needs to explain that a shocking improvement in sound was heard to them.

I heara shocking improvement in sound from my Clou Red to the Cardas. The Cardas exposed how grainy the Clou is, and not by an insignificant amount. The Cardas exposed more details. It sounded way more refined and had better extensions on bioth ends of the spectrum. Overall it was a shocking improvement over the Clou.

Of course, this is all subjective so YMMV on your ears. But you do ow it to yourself to give it a try. It's the only way you can know for sure. Headroom has a 30-day return policy and, if you can budget the $150, I suggest you use it because I doubt it's going back once you hear it (though I could be wrong).
post #22 of 36

Re: Re: Re: Cardas Smurf Cables for Senn HD-600

Quote:
Originally posted by Beagle
I've used many different wires and interconnects and I have found subtle differences ( the operative word "differences") but never a "shocking" improvement. Expensive cables are basically filters, subtle equalizers or coloration devices.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... I believe the reason is a combination of this:
1) The stock cable is a total POS.
2) Cardas knows what he's doing.

You're right, in general, I'd have expected subtle, but I didn't hear subtle--I heard a pronounced improvement, greater than the HD580->HD600 improvement.

When you look at the quality of the parts in the HD600 in general and how hair-like thin the wires inside are you wonder how they got the thing to sound good to start with.
post #23 of 36

Re: Re: Re: Cardas Smurf Cables for Senn HD-600

Quote:
Originally posted by Beagle

I've used many different wires and interconnects and I have found subtle differences ( the operative word "differences") but never a "shocking" improvement. Expensive cables are basically filters, subtle equalizers or coloration devices.
Shocking might also mean "Unexpected."
Cables can only loose information as far as I'm concerned, some just loose less than others.

Also, the better your equipment, the more you will hear with cable changes.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Can anyone explain why a cable would make a "shocking" difference in the sound? What physical differences or type of construction would cause a "shocking" change?
I have no fricken' clue, and I imagine most people here are in the same boat. Doesn't matter though--the Senns sound very very different with the Cardas.
post #25 of 36
Do you need to have a really good amp and source to hear a significant improvement with the cardas cable? At the tour the hd600 was undoubtly driven by very high end amps and source. I'm afraid that the cardas will have only a subtle effect when driven by entry level amps like the Corda and MG Head.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by sunshine
Do you need to have a really good amp and source to hear a significant improvement with the cardas cable? At the tour the hd600 was undoubtly driven by very high end amps and source. I'm afraid that the cardas will have only a subtle effect when driven by entry level amps like the Corda and MG Head.
sunshine
I personally believe you may be underestimating the Corda and MG Head amps. Both are excellent amps at their price point and do indeed surpass some amps that cost more as far as I'm concerned.

While not many people have received their Cardas cables yet, many HeadFiers used the red and blue clou with the MG Head and reported their results. A few people didn't like the results but everyone noticed a difference.
post #27 of 36
Thread Starter 
Time for an update...
After a week of break in, I like the Cardas HD-600 replacement cables very much. The inner detail is much improved as is the imaging / soundstage. I've noticed things on some of my recordings that I have not noticed previously. With this increased detail there is not a hint of fatigue or harshness. Although I still like the AKG-K501s a great deal, I have to say that the Cardas/HD-600 now occupies the top spot in my inventory. Best can in the stable!

Can you imagine that? An AKG-K501 owner liking something better?
post #28 of 36
how's the plug situation with recent units? is fall out still an issue?

toodles,
robert
post #29 of 36
Quote:
I've used many different wires and interconnects and I have found subtle differences ( the operative word "differences") but never a "shocking" improvement. Expensive cables are basically filters, subtle equalizers or coloration devices.
Beagle, for what it's worth, I was not at all impressed at the differences between the Clou and the Cardas on HD600s at the Headroom tour. Maybe I didn't listen closely enough. Oh well.
post #30 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by robert
how's the plug situation with recent units? is fall out still an issue?

toodles,
robert
Definitely looser than the stock plug, but the connection seems to be electrically solid.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Cardas Smurf Cables for Senn HD-600