Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs) - Page 427

post #6391 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

 

Waiting on a reissue is risking a remaster (not that the original is dynamic by any means), and we all know how that normally turns out

 

Haha yeah, but like you said, Dead as Dreams is pretty brickwalled as is. That's the great thing about a lot of black metal--hard for a reissue to ruin it!

post #6392 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

 

Haha yeah, but like you said, Dead as Dreams is pretty brickwalled as is. That's the great thing about a lot of black metal--hard for a reissue to ruin it!

 

Have you listened to any Aosoth record? Yes even with black metal it can get worse

post #6393 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

 

Have you listened to any Aosoth record? Yes even with black metal it can get worse

 

I have not, but I do specifically recall a review I read somewhere of one of their albums that mentioned the insane levels of compression and clipping throughout it. Loss of dynamics is one thing--clipping is another entirely. A shame when that happens, even if they were striving for a lo-fi or ugly sound. Especially a shame when you see it outside of mainstream music, where I wouldn't really expect to see it. (Though maybe Random Access Memories will knock some sense into engineers and we'll get a ripple effect?) I know that I'm looking forward to the day when they'll reissue Black Sabbath's 13 and make it sound like their material from the 70s...

post #6394 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

 

I have not, but I do specifically recall a review I read somewhere of one of their albums that mentioned the insane levels of compression and clipping throughout it. Loss of dynamics is one thing--clipping is another entirely. A shame when that happens, even if they were striving for a lo-fi or ugly sound. Especially a shame when you see it outside of mainstream music, where I wouldn't really expect to see it. (Though maybe Random Access Memories will knock some sense into engineers and we'll get a ripple effect?) I know that I'm looking forward to the day when they'll reissue Black Sabbath's 13 and make it sound like their material from the 70s...

 

You can EASILY have a lo-fi sound with dynamics. How the hell do people think first and second wave black metal hordes did it?

post #6395 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

 

You can EASILY have a lo-fi sound with dynamics. How the hell do people think first and second wave black metal hordes did it?

 

Never said otherwise! I'm just saying that if people don't record on the right gear for a lo-fi recording it's up to the engineers later to introduce that aesthetic to music that's already been recorded. That's where you can get some overzealous engineer who redlines everything to make it sound brutal, which is what I imagine (though without listening to it I don't know) happened with Aosoth. 

post #6396 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post
 

Cheers, mate! I'm glad you enjoy this album as much as I do. I never did order the CD, maybe I should sometime?

 

I need to take the time one of these days and email Bandcamp so as to update my collection as I have purchased so many albums before I decided to join Bandcamp. I love being able to use the mobile app for my music there, but I do wish to hear some of the ones I've already purchased prior..

 

Anywho, some recent purchases on my behalf:

 

Homogenic - Bjork

 

Can't say I am a fan of the artwork.. I don't know why, but personally I don't find this art cover appealing. I think Bastards' album cover was my favorite from her collection. By the way, I will not lie, one of my favorite songs and music videos comes from her. The single is All is Full of Love..  such an amazing work of art, if I do say so myself.

 

I put off purchasing the CD for the longest time partially because of expecting the shipping charges to be comparable to the price of the CD itself, but turns out they were untypically low – at least to Finland.

 

I also was missing a lot of my past Bandcamp purchases for the longest time, but then noticed in settings you can go to "Fan" and add alternative email addresses you may have used while purchasing stuff from BC at different points in the past. If this is the case for you as well, hope that helps. I also enjoy the mobile app very much. I think it gives people good incentive to pay for name-your-price releases as well. That's a really good thing in my opinion.

 

Homogenic might be my favorite Björk album at the moment. Initially it was Post, probably in part because of its accessibility, but Homogenic has really grown on me over the years. I also enjoy Biophilia immensely and am unsure which one I actually prefer, that or Homogenic, but needless to say all three albums form my top three at the moment. I have Homogenic on vinyl and wish that for Biophilia as well, but it is rather costly so I have refrained so far. Vespertine and Debut have never really clicked with me so far, Medúlla I should actually listen more than I do – I think I might like it if I did.

 

Frankly, there are very few music videos I've seen that I liked, but the one for All Is Full of Love has always been one of my favorites as well. Truly beautiful video on all accounts as you say, and I have such a fascination on artificial intelligences and androids that just makes it even more alluring to me.

 

The video always reminds me of the short film / tech-demo game studio Quantic Dream made a couple years back, called Kara. I continue to be stunned by how touching it manages to be. If you haven't seen it, I've included it below. I really enjoyed Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain but sadly their most recent game Beyond: Two Souls didn't manage to grab me… For me it lacked the emotional component that the two prior games managed to have.

 

post #6397 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Elite View Post
 

I put off purchasing the CD for the longest time partially because of expecting the shipping charges to be comparable to the price of the CD itself, but turns out they were untypically low – at least to Finland.

 

I also was missing a lot of my past Bandcamp purchases for the longest time, but then noticed in settings you can go to "Fan" and add alternative email addresses you may have used while purchasing stuff from BC at different points in the past. If this is the case for you as well, hope that helps. I also enjoy the mobile app very much. I think it gives people good incentive to pay for name-your-price releases as well. That's a really good thing in my opinion.

 

Homogenic might be my favorite Björk album at the moment. Initially it was Post, probably in part because of its accessibility, but Homogenic has really grown on me over the years. I also enjoy Biophilia immensely and am unsure which one I actually prefer, that or Homogenic, but needless to say all three albums form my top three at the moment. I have Homogenic on vinyl and wish that for Biophilia as well, but it is rather costly so I have refrained so far. Vespertine and Debut have never really clicked with me so far, Medúlla I should actually listen more than I do – I think I might like it if I did.

 

Frankly, there are very few music videos I've seen that I liked, but the one for All Is Full of Love has always been one of my favorites as well. Truly beautiful video on all accounts as you say, and I have such a fascination on artificial intelligences and androids that just makes it even more alluring to me.

 

The video always reminds me of the short film / tech-demo game studio Quantic Dream made a couple years back, called Kara. I continue to be stunned by how touching it manages to be. If you haven't seen it, I've included it below. I really enjoyed Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain but sadly their most recent game Beyond: Two Souls didn't manage to grab me… For me it lacked the emotional component that the two prior games managed to have.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try and see if that helps add more to my collection on Bandcamp.

 

On the topic of Bjork's Homogenic.. if you feel the need to own the CD, I'd make the purchase within a heartbeat. I think it's well worth owning, even for just keepsake. Biophilia is next on my list it's perhaps my second favorite album from her. I haven't heard the rest of her discography other than Vespertine, in which I totally agree in the album not being one of her best. I want to like it, but I just can't "click" with it.

 

All Is Full of Love is definitely one of the few music videos I respect wholeheartedly and fell in love with immediately. Being that artificial intelligences and androids mate with Science Fiction immensely, I can confess my enormous adoration for the genre. Most of the tales involving cyborgs and other forms of AI often incorporate and cope with several post-apocalyptic and liberal philosophies which in turn does indeed peak my interest almost every time. To see a concept like cybernetic love being implemented in a music video, there is so much being said within each frame that it really goes beyond the mere concept being conveyed. In a plain definition: this video and song is simply a work of art. One that I find will prove to be timeless.

 

I gotta thank you for sharing that video. I loved Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain (I've yet to play any of their other titles, including Fareinheit), but that game alone was intense and emotionally alluring. I have never played a game like that quite before and it has been considered ever since to be in my top 5 games of all time. This video, Kara, was exceptional. It brought to mind Donna Haraway's "A Cyborg Manifesto", in which she elaborated the concept of rejecting the boundaries that divide man from animal and/or machine. Though Kara implements sympathy. I think this makes the piece that much more powerful and wealthy in content and philosophy.  For only 7-minutes, there is so so much said, so much emotion conveyed. Definitely love it. :)


Edited by Destroysall - 7/9/14 at 12:02pm
post #6398 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post
 

Thanks for the tip! I'll try and see if that helps add more to my collection on Bandcamp.

 

On the topic of Bjork's Homogenic.. if you feel the need to own the CD, I'd make the purchase within a heartbeat. I think it's well worth owning, even for just keepsake. Biophilia is next on my list it's perhaps my second favorite album from her. I haven't heard the rest of her discography other than Vespertine, in which I totally agree in the album not being one of her best. I want to like it, but I just can't "click" with it.

 

All Is Full of Love is definitely one of the few music videos I respect wholeheartedly and fell in love with immediately. Being that artificial intelligences and androids mate with Science Fiction immensely, I can confess my enormous adoration for the genre. Most of the tales involving cyborgs and other forms of AI often incorporate and cope with several post-apocalyptic and liberal philosophies which in turn does indeed peak my interest almost every time. To see a concept like cybernetic love being implemented in a music video, there is so much being said within each frame that it really goes beyond the mere concept being conveyed. In a plain definition: this video and song is simply a work of art. One that I find will prove to be timeless.

 

I gotta thank you for sharing that video. I loved Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain (I've yet to play any of their other titles, including Fareinheit), but that game alone was intense and emotionally alluring. I have never played a game like that quite before and it has been considered ever since to be in my top 5 games of all time. This video, Kara, was exceptional. It brought to mind Donna Haraway's "A Cyborg Manifesto", in which she elaborated the concept of rejecting the boundaries that divide man from animal and/or machine. Though Kara implements sympathy. I think this makes the piece that much more powerful and wealthy in content and philosophy.  For only 7-minutes, there is so so much said, so much emotion conveyed. Definitely love it. :)

I'm glad you liked the video. It indeed manages to accomplish astoundingly much in mere seven minutes. Kara says a lot near the end, but the line "I won't think anymore" is to me perhaps the most powerful thing she says. It evokes so many thoughts and emotions in me and I think it really conveys her desperation. She might just be saying it, but still for a living being to even entertain the thought of carrying on living relinquishing the right to think for themselves they must truly be at their wits' end. And it is difficult to even put to words how cruel it is to begin with that her having thoughts is undesired. Instead of being happy and excited she is seen as defective. That says so much in so little words.

 

I've been writing Portal fanfiction for just over two years now, so the subject matter is definitely quite heartfelt to me. The subject of AIs is something I think about almost daily. For some time I've contemplated whether mankind could ever truly accept AIs as equals if we could one day create artificial intelligences that were self-aware and could think for themselves. If man and machine lived side by side, several generations down would children who've grown up having androids as friends, nannies, neighbors be able to not even draw a distinction between a human and an AI? It is not that long ago that people with white skin saw people of different genetic background to be below them and fit to be enslaved and oppressed, and racism is still very much a thing that exists today even if to a lesser degree than in the past. Homophobia for example has always been one of the things that has really bothered me and I don't like the people who say they "tolerate" homosexuals. Tolerating something is totally different from accepting it. It's like saying you are willing to live with its existence, but you'd prefer it didn't exist at all. Homosexuals make people like that uncomfortable because their existence does not conform with their worldviews. I really like the video for All Is Full of Love because it conveys just that, that all is full of love. In it two androids are showing affection toward one another and they are both female at that, saying that love can exist everywhere. That is a beautiful thought which I believe to be true.

post #6399 of 6432

 

5 newest CDs...or 11...I got all of these within the last week.

 

Paul Mccartney - Ram

The Who - Quadrophenia

The Who - Tommy

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

The Kinks - The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society

King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

post #6400 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leckel1996 View Post

 

5 newest CDs...or 11...I got all of these within the last week.

 

Paul Mccartney - Ram

The Who - Quadrophenia

The Who - Tommy

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

The Kinks - The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society

King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

 

Are those the new remastered (I think) Led Zeppelins I've been seeing? How do they sound?

post #6401 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post

Are those the new remastered (I think) Led Zeppelins I've been seeing? How do they sound?

Yes, it is them! I just got the standard 1 CD edition without all of the bonus tracks. Compared to the original they sound infinitely clearer, if a tad bit compressed. They aren't overly compressed though, so that's good. I always had a tough time listening to their older albums because of how bad they sounded, this fixes that and then some.
post #6402 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leckel1996 View Post


Yes, it is them! I just got the standard 1 CD edition without all of the bonus tracks. Compared to the original they sound infinitely clearer, if a tad bit compressed. They aren't overly compressed though, so that's good. I always had a tough time listening to their older albums because of how bad they sounded, this fixes that and then some.

 

Groovy, thanks for the info.

post #6403 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Elite View Post
 

I'm glad you liked the video. It indeed manages to accomplish astoundingly much in mere seven minutes. Kara says a lot near the end, but the line "I won't think anymore" is to me perhaps the most powerful thing she says. It evokes so many thoughts and emotions in me and I think it really conveys her desperation. She might just be saying it, but still for a living being to even entertain the thought of carrying on living relinquishing the right to think for themselves they must truly be at their wits' end. And it is difficult to even put to words how cruel it is to begin with that her having thoughts is undesired. Instead of being happy and excited she is seen as defective. That says so much in so little words.

 

I've been writing Portal fanfiction for just over two years now, so the subject matter is definitely quite heartfelt to me. The subject of AIs is something I think about almost daily. For some time I've contemplated whether mankind could ever truly accept AIs as equals if we could one day create artificial intelligences that were self-aware and could think for themselves. If man and machine lived side by side, several generations down would children who've grown up having androids as friends, nannies, neighbors be able to not even draw a distinction between a human and an AI? It is not that long ago that people with white skin saw people of different genetic background to be below them and fit to be enslaved and oppressed, and racism is still very much a thing that exists today even if to a lesser degree than in the past. Homophobia for example has always been one of the things that has really bothered me and I don't like the people who say they "tolerate" homosexuals. Tolerating something is totally different from accepting it. It's like saying you are willing to live with its existence, but you'd prefer it didn't exist at all. Homosexuals make people like that uncomfortable because their existence does not conform with their worldviews. I really like the video for All Is Full of Love because it conveys just that, that all is full of love. In it two androids are showing affection toward one another and they are both female at that, saying that love can exist everywhere. That is a beautiful thought which I believe to be true.


Amen. My thoughts exactly! It speaks so powerfully; I agree word-for-word. I actually went and shared the video on Facebook with hopes of it generating a positive response.

 

To comment further on the idea of true acceptance.. I think a lot of it has to deal with social norms becoming the overbearing shadow on humanity. Within our society, we develop norms that generally lead to finding and seeking the unfavorable, the weird; generally casting these 'outcasts' out. It's really a dreadful and sickening system that man has developed. I think with artificial intelligence and the possibility of it becoming self-aware serves a great purpose because it eliminates segregation, no matter the form or context. To see these videos like All Is Full of Love and Kara.. you learn of the beauty that relinquishes all boundaries; a form of acceptance and appreciation. I agree with you in that the idea of all is full of love is indeed on its own, a beautiful thought.

post #6404 of 6432

These arrived from Amazon Japan today. Order placed on Saturday and package arrived on Thursday. That's what I like to see!

 

目黒将司 (Shōji Meguro) - Persona 3

 

I finally finished the game a couple summers ago. I never played through all of the FES add-on, but recently I started it again to see the story to its conclusion. Coming from P4, it took me a while to get used to the style of music in Persona 3, but nowadays it is quite dear to me in somewhat same fashion as P4 OST but not quite.

 

目黒将司 (Shōji Meguro) - Catherine

 

This game has intrigued me for some reason since it came out even though I knew practically nothing about it. But because of the artwork I always presumed it to be a B-grade title made in poor taste, and likely due to the name – and again the cover art – I always assumed this to be a title from an American developer, which when it comes to games is often a negative to me, I'm sad to say. A cousin of mine was visiting my town for a week this summer to see some relatives including me and I happened to be browsing the PlayStation Network for a game I could download with the money in my digital wallet when he was over. When he saw the name Catherine he said he'd heard good things about this game, that it was a puzzle game combined with a visual novel / dating simulator. I am a huge fan of visual novels and have always wanted to try out this game for some reason as I mentioned, so my cousin's recommendation based totally on second-hand information was all I needed to make the decision to grab the game.

 

Never would I have guessed the game was actually developed by one of my favorite game studios, Atlus, who are responsible for the Persona games which are certainly among some of my favorite games of all time. Catherine was actually in development for quite a while and the Persona 4 development team switched back and forth between the two games working on the first stages of Catherine while polishing up Persona 4. The game is quite absurd, at least when you're getting started with it, but once the story picks up it's actually a really good game and despite how it sounds on paper the game mechanics are much more solid than you would expect. The game certainly earned a special place in my heart and the soundtrack was a must for me, especially since it's from Atlus house composer Shōji Meguro.

 

Various artists - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

 

In spite of being a portable game, Peace Walker was an incredibly ambitious release with a more in-depth story than almost any non-Metal-Gear game out there – a genuine Hideo Kojima game. I can't recall what I thought of the music in the game, but I wanted the soundtrack pretty much solely for the ridiculously over-the-top anime-show-opening-esque song that plays during the true final battle – one which I only discovered existed after MGSV: Ground Zeroes was released recently and I found out I'd missed a significant part of the story. The ironic thing is I was only one step away from unlocking the true ending, I just didn't know where to go and had to look it up online. When I found out where it was I had to go, I could only compliment Hideo Kojima in my mind for it was literally the last place where I would have looked and at the same time it was right in front of my nose. Truly ingenious but at the same time somewhat sadistic to require players to go through so much effort after seeing the credits to see the actual conclusion of the story and the huge plot twist.

 

Various artists (GINGA) - 0005:a galaxy odyssey

 

I'm still missing entries 2 and 3 from this series, but this just-released no. 5 seemed very promising so I definitely wanted to include it in my order. Some truly weird but wonderful music in this series.

 

 

和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band) - ボカロ三昧 (Vocalo Zanmai) [limited edition CD+Blu-ray]

 

This album purchase was more of a novelty purchase for me than anything given that the band covers exclusively Vocaloid tunes. Can't say I prefer the covers to the originals, but like I said this is more of a novelty item for my record collection. Also perhaps I'll run into songs where I'll want to look up the originals and potentially find new favorites.

 

 

 

post #6405 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leckel1996 View Post
 

 

ITCOCK, Tommy and Dark Side in one purchase? mmmmmmmmmmm

 

 

anyways I just got this today

 

 

I couldn't resist. The records are pastel pink (1) and mountain dew translucent (2)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)