Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs) - Page 386

post #5776 of 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post

 

 

I need more Pavement albums!

The new Daft Punk on the other hand; while I enjoy it, it doesn't do that much for me. You like it?

 

I'm not sure if you are shopping for Pavement CDs or vinyl. If you are shopping for CDs, almost all of Pavement's stuff has been reissued in greatly expanded versions. Back in the '90s, Pavement constantly released different EPs that had lots of material that wasn't on the albums. Some of their best material was on the EPs and not on the albums. Now all of that extra material is included in the reissues of the albums on CD.

 

If you are shopping for CDs, make sure you get the double-CD versions with all of the extra material.

 

For 'Slanted And Enchanted' get the 'Luxe And Redux' double CD (2002) edition.

For 'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain' get the 'L.A.'s Desert Origins' double CD (2004) edition.

For 'Wowee Zowee' get the 'Sordid Sentinels' double CD (2006) edition.

For 'Brighten The Corners' get the 'Nicene Creedence' double CD (2008) edition.

 

If you don't get the reissue double CD editions, you will be missing a ton of their best material!

post #5777 of 6493

I'm loving the new Daft Punk quite a bit. Most people I've had listen to it haven't been very impressed with it though, and I've noticed that it's not getting the greatest of ratings on many user-review sites. Personally, I think it's every bit as good as Discovery, even if it suffers from many of the same flaws.

 

Also, seconding picking up the double-CD versions of the Pavement albums. The extra material isn't always top-notch, but when it is, it *really* is, with a lot of the b-sides far surpassing the actual album tracks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post

 

 

I need more Pavement albums!

The new Daft Punk on the other hand; while I enjoy it, it doesn't do that much for me. You like it?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

 

I'm not sure if you are shopping for Pavement CDs or vinyl. If you are shopping for CDs, almost all of Pavement's stuff has been reissued in greatly expanded versions. Back in the '90s, Pavement constantly released different EPs that had lots of material that wasn't on the albums. Some of their best material was on the EPs and not on the albums. Now all of that extra material is included in the reissues of the albums on CD.

 

If you are shopping for CDs, make sure you get the double-CD versions with all of the extra material.

 

For 'Slanted And Enchanted' get the 'Luxe And Redux' double CD (2002) edition.

For 'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain' get the 'L.A.'s Desert Origins' double CD (2004) edition.

For 'Wowee Zowee' get the 'Sordid Sentinels' double CD (2006) edition.

For 'Brighten The Corners' get the 'Nicene Creedence' double CD (2008) edition.

 

If you don't get the reissue double CD editions, you will be missing a ton of their best material!

post #5778 of 6493

Today has been a busy day on the music front for me: I paid the customs for three CDs that are on their way to me, bought the three LPs below and also ordered five other LPs at the store which should hopefully arrive by Friday. In addition I ordered three other LPs online during the weekend. I await my turntable with excitement.

 

Radiohead - OK Computer

 

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

 

Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu

post #5779 of 6493
Great, great...WHY WOULD YOU BUY THAT?
post #5780 of 6493

^^Still haven't found "In Rainbows", have you?

post #5781 of 6493
There were copies at my local shop last time I was there.
post #5782 of 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Elite View Post

Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

WHY WOULD YOU BUY THAT?

 

I was wondering the same thing....blink.gif

post #5783 of 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Great, great...WHY WOULD YOU BUY THAT?



Surely it's some sort of musical felony to purchase such an object!?

post #5784 of 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Great, great...WHY WOULD YOU BUY THAT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I was wondering the same thing....blink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post

Surely it's some sort of musical felony to purchase such an object!?

Because I really like the music, why else? biggrin.gif

I knew I was going get some s**t because of Lulu, but I decided to not say anything in my post and just wait and see. I've talked about the album at length when it was released, and I won't repeat everything I've said about it here (I wrote what must've been a two-page post in one of the threads here on Head-Fi bigsmile_face.gif), but I do genuinely enjoy the album and it is among some of my favorites from 2011, which I feel was one of the best years I've witnessed firsthand as an active music buyer. To call Lulu a guilty pleasure would be totally wrong because I don't like the music because it's really bad but because it really appeals to me. I feel that the album is incredibly misunderstood and underappreciated and sometimes it seems like I'm the only person on the planet who likes it. Fortunately when I went to add the vinyl to my collection on Rate Your Music I noticed that there were finally some positive reviews for it there, so perhaps my taste in music isn't as completely twisted as I might've thought (not that I care how my taste compares to others', I'm just glad others are able to appresiate the music). I actually originally bought Lulu on CD after finding out on Wikipedia that it was available for free streaming online. I typically like to purchase most of my music blind (deaf?) based only on multi-sourced recommendations and my own gut feeling, but in this case I would have probably never bought the album without having heard some of it first. After listening to two or three of the first songs I knew I had to immediately buy the album - so I did. Now when I saw it on vinyl for the price of a new CD I knew I had to have it on vinyl even if it is just as loud as on CD (damn you Vlado Meller very_evil_smiley.gif).

I think I've made my point. I hope the album gets a bit more love in the future. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post

^^Still haven't found "In Rainbows", have you?

The website for the other store in my town which is part of a chain says that their estimated delivery time for In Rainbows would be around a week. I'll probably order it relatively soon. The five LPs I ordered yesterday were all ones that were available in other stores that are part of the chain. I'm interested in the album on vinyl because for several years it's been my prepared answer for what is my favorite album of all time. That isn't probably quite true, but I find it hard to rank good albums in relation to one another. The only song I used to not like on the album was the last one, but nowadays I couldn't imagine listening to the album without listening to it as well; it has really grown on me. Now the only issue I have with the album on CD at least is its slightly too hot mastering. I don't know if the LP is any better, but I definitely want this album on vinyl regardless; it's pretty much as perfect as an album gets and it sound like the band was having fun while making it.


Edited by TJ Elite - 5/28/13 at 2:11am
post #5785 of 6493

        


Edited by Andolink - 5/28/13 at 1:52am
post #5786 of 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Elite View Post

Because I really like the music, why else? biggrin.gif

I knew I was going get some s**t because of Lulu, but I decided to not say anything in my post and just wait and see. I've talked about the album at length when it was released, and I won't repeat everything I've said about it here (I wrote what must've been a two-page post in one of the threads here on Head-Fi bigsmile_face.gif), but I do genuinely enjoy the album and it is among some of my favorites from 2011, which I feel was one of the best years I've witnessed firsthand as an active music buyer. To call Lulu a guilty pleasure would be totally wrong because I don't like the music because it's really bad but because it really appeals to me. I feel that the album is incredibly misunderstood and underappreciated and sometimes it seems like I'm the only person on the planet who likes it. Fortunately when I went to add the vinyl to my collection on Rate Your Music I noticed that there were finally some positive reviews for it there, so perhaps my taste in music isn't as completely twisted as I might've thought (not that I care how my taste compares to others', I'm just glad others are able to appresiate the music). I actually originally bought Lulu on CD after finding out on Wikipedia that it was available for free streaming online. I typically like to purchase most of my music blind (deaf?) based only on multi-sourced recommendations and my own gut feeling, but in this case I would have probably never bought the album without having heard some of it first. After listening to two or three of the first songs I knew I had to immediately buy the album - so I did. Now when I saw it on vinyl for the price of a new CD I knew I had to have it on vinyl even if it is just as loud as on CD (damn you Vlado Meller very_evil_smiley.gif).

I think I've made my point. I hope the album gets a bit more love in the future. smily_headphones1.gif

 

The website for the other store in my town which is part of a chain says that their estimated delivery time for In Rainbows would be around a week. I'll probably order it relatively soon. The five LPs I ordered yesterday were all ones that were available in other stores that are part of the chain. I'm interested in the album on vinyl because for several years it's been my prepared answer for what is my favorite album of all time. That isn't probably quite true, but I find it hard to rank good albums in relation to one another. The only song I used to not like on the album was the last one, but nowadays I couldn't imagine listening to the album without listening to it as well; it has really grown on me. Now the only issue I have with the album on CD at least is its slightly too hot mastering. I don't know if the LP is any better, but I definitely want this album on vinyl regardless; it's pretty much as perfect as an album gets and it sound like the band was having fun while making it.

deadhorse.gif

Ha ha. I have a friend who is also in love with Lulu.. I haven't taken the time to hear the whole album myself, but I recall it being a difficult listen in the first place.  Of course, that opinion could change now.  And LOL on Vlado Meller.. Is it anything worse compared to the mastering of Red Hot Chili Peppers latest release?? I find that album's mastering way too hot for my taste.

 

I like how you are approaching vinyl, TJ Elite.  Seeing as how vinyl is much more costly than digital formats, it should be nice not having to skip a track when you can listen to the whole album in all its glory and know you'd love every part of it. smily_headphones1.gif  In terms of Radiohead, I think Hail To The Thief is the one record I treasure as next to New Order's Get Ready, it was one of my first CDs.  Since then I have come to love it and it is arguably one of my favorite albums of all time.  I feel the mastering is also much "tender" than In Rainbows. However, if what they say about vinyl having more headroom is true, it might sound nice and warm.  Hope you are finally able to get it soon and grow pleased with it! smile.gif

post #5787 of 6493

Got my Woodkid - The Golden Age vinyl today from shipping.

 

Sounds insane. I love his work even more. However, shipping people hasn't been careful with it, excessive warping :( might need to invest on a clamp. If I could, I'd use some periphery clamp.

post #5788 of 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post

deadhorse.gif

Ha ha. I have a friend who is also in love with Lulu.. I haven't taken the time to hear the whole album myself, but I recall it being a difficult listen in the first place.  Of course, that opinion could change now.  And LOL on Vlado Meller.. Is it anything worse compared to the mastering of Red Hot Chili Peppers latest release?? I find that album's mastering way too hot for my taste.

 

I like how you are approaching vinyl, TJ Elite.  Seeing as how vinyl is much more costly than digital formats, it should be nice not having to skip a track when you can listen to the whole album in all its glory and know you'd love every part of it. smily_headphones1.gif  In terms of Radiohead, I think Hail To The Thief is the one record I treasure as next to New Order's Get Ready, it was one of my first CDs.  Since then I have come to love it and it is arguably one of my favorite albums of all time.  I feel the mastering is also much "tender" than In Rainbows. However, if what they say about vinyl having more headroom is true, it might sound nice and warm.  Hope you are finally able to get it soon and grow pleased with it! smile.gif

I guess for most people Lulu might not be immediately accessible but I liked it instantly. The only system I've been able to listen to it on, though, is my main speaker rig; on anything else the mastering just kills my ears. I'm not sure why, but on my Classé+B&W combo many hypercompressed records are at least somewhat bearable. Same goes with very dense free jazz recordings like John Coltrane's Ascension or Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz; I simply need a good enough speaker setup to be able to follow them. I haven't heard a headphone rig that did that for me, maybe it's because the soundstage just isn't there in the same way as with speakers. There might be other factors as well, or maybe I just haven't heard the right phones with the right amp. I'm much more of a speaker person anyway, so it doesn't really matter all that much one way or the other.

 

I haven't heard the lates Red Hot Chili Peppers, so I can't comment which sounds worse, that or Lulu. I don't think I've ever heard an album that was mastered by Vlado Meller that wasn't way too loud. He has definitely earned his place on my mastering engineer blacklist. That mas has ruined / been asked to ruin way too many albums already. Sadly that will probably continue to happen to otherwise good albums for years to come.

 

My top three Radiohead albums are probably In Rainbows, Hail to the Thief, and The King of Limbs - possibly in that order. I really like Amnesiac as well. I do think that the typically highly regarded The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A are good records as well, but I've never liked them even close to as much as a lot of people seem to.


Edited by TJ Elite - 5/28/13 at 5:46am
post #5789 of 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Elite View Post

The website for the other store in my town which is part of a chain says that their estimated delivery time for In Rainbows would be around a week. I'll probably order it relatively soon. The five LPs I ordered yesterday were all ones that were available in other stores that are part of the chain. I'm interested in the album on vinyl because for several years it's been my prepared answer for what is my favorite album of all time. That isn't probably quite true, but I find it hard to rank good albums in relation to one another. The only song I used to not like on the album was the last one, but nowadays I couldn't imagine listening to the album without listening to it as well; it has really grown on me. Now the only issue I have with the album on CD at least is its slightly too hot mastering. I don't know if the LP is any better, but I definitely want this album on vinyl regardless; it's pretty much as perfect as an album gets and it sound like the band was having fun while making it.

 

If you can snag a copy of the deluxe edition 45rpm, I'd definitely do that. The mastering is a big step up from the CD (although I never compared it to the regular 33 1/3 LP).

 

They retailed for like $80 when they came out, and used copies go for like $100-$120 these days. Every once in a while, you'll see them pop up for very close to retail. 

 

Sort of a lot to pay for a single album in the grand scheme of things, but if it's your favorite album of all time, it may be worth it. 

post #5790 of 6493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questhate View Post

If you can snag a copy of the deluxe edition 45rpm, I'd definitely do that. The mastering is a big step up from the CD (although I never compared it to the regular 33 1/3 LP).

 

They retailed for like $80 when they came out, and used copies go for like $100-$120 these days. Every once in a while, you'll see them pop up for very close to retail. 

 

Sort of a lot to pay for a single album in the grand scheme of things, but if it's your favorite album of all time, it may be worth it. 

 

I actually just ordered the "regular" LP a couple hours ago along with three other LPs. Also preordered Tori Amos' Under the Pink reissue on vinyl which is coming out in July. The fastest people to buy it get a pink vinyl, so hopefully I'm lucky. Thanks for telling about the existence of that 45rpm, but I think it's so steeply priced that I refuse to even try to hunt it down purely out of principle. Did it seriously retail for $80 new? That sounds insane considering a lot of numbered limited edition 200g 45rpm double LP thick deluxe-packaged gatefold audiophile reissues (I tried pack as many words into that description as I could think of) I've seen online are often around $50 or $60 new.

 

I expect the LP to sound exactly like the CD (this is how I'm going to approach every LP I purchase, unless it's a pure analog mastered audiophile 45 or something similar), so if it actually does sound better then I'll be positively surprised, and if it sounds just as good/bad then I won't be disappointed. Edit: If the LP sounds worse than its CD counterpart, I guess I can always use it as a frisbee. I'm joking of course. biggrin.gif


Edited by TJ Elite - 5/28/13 at 12:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)