Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › how many of you guys cook???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how many of you guys cook??? - Page 190

post #2836 of 2857

SF boys knows how to party...  :beerchug:

post #2837 of 2857

Been cooking since high school, got a great girlfriend who was a much better cook than I was during university, broke up and now I have to cook again...

I've always preferred the dishes...

post #2838 of 2857

I bought some iberico pork fillet and rice morcilla at Borough Market today, so I'll be making a pork wellington tomorrow.
 

post #2839 of 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post
 

I bought some iberico pork fillet and rice morcilla at Borough Market today, so I'll be making a pork wellington tomorrow.
 

I've been wanting to try making a beef wellington. The difference between pork and beef wellington is just the meat? What about the mushrooms, bacon/pancetta and stuff? 

 

Gordon Ramsay has inspired me to give it a try one day...

 

I really enjoy cooking when I have the time. I actually moved to France to study pastry so I have skillzz!

post #2840 of 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpJ View Post

 

I've been wanting to try making a beef wellington. The difference between pork and beef wellington is just the meat? What about the mushrooms, bacon/pancetta and stuff?


 

Gordon Ramsay has inspired me to give it a try one day...


 

I really enjoy cooking when I have the time. I actually moved to France to study pastry so I have skillzz!


I've got some mushrooms and shallots for the layer between meat and pastry, and will maybe add some sage to that. You can then wrap that in a pancake to provide a layer between it and the pastry. With pork as the main meat, I'd omit the bacon/pancetta.

post #2841 of 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post
 


I've got some mushrooms and shallots for the layer between meat and pastry, and will maybe add some sage to that. You can then wrap that in a pancake to provide a layer between it and the pastry. With pork as the main meat, I'd omit the bacon/pancetta.

 

A pancake?!? What type of pancake? Educate me but wouldn't that take away from the whole "delicateness" of it all? That's just me though. I'm highly interested in hearing about this method though!

post #2842 of 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpJ View Post

 


 

A pancake?!? What type of pancake? Educate me but wouldn't that take away from the whole "delicateness" of it all? That's just me though. I'm highly interested in hearing about this method though!


Just a thin basic (flour/eggs/milk) pancake to create a barrier. Ladle just enough into the pan to coat the bottom and it'll cook very quickly. It'll be thin and light enough not to make itself obvious when you eat it.

post #2843 of 2857

Another lousy photo from my lousy camera... the pancake sort of bonds with the pastry. The central dark strip is morcilla (Spanish blood pudding with rice), while the outer layer is mushrooms, shallots, morcilla offcuts, garlic and a little sage oil.

 

I would have glazed it with egg, but noticed the "best before" date just in time, so used milk to help glue the edges and provide a light glaze on top. Very tasty all the same.

 

post #2844 of 2857

I noticed I get better results since I purchased my Stainless Cookware from Calphalon...

http://store.calphalon.com/search/stainless

 

 

post #2845 of 2857

I was with a few buddies discussing ideas for  a restaurant, and naturally we did a lunch meeting right next to his gas grill. Two kilograms of rib eye and striploin were consumed and two people's crossfit diets ruined.

 

 

post #2846 of 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

I was with a few buddies discussing ideas for  a restaurant, and naturally we did a lunch meeting right next to his gas grill. Two kilograms of rib eye and striploin were consumed and two people's crossfit diets ruined.

 

 

 

Sounds like a PERFECT cross fit meal to me!

post #2847 of 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpJ View Post
 

 

Sounds like a PERFECT cross fit meal to me!

 

Too fatty for them apparently - I got the ribeyes with the most marbling and the fattest strip of fat in the center, and while the striploins weren't marbled, I took some of the fat drippings, mixed them with butter, olive oil and cilantro, and brushed that all over the steaks.

post #2848 of 2857

Well as long as there's no carbs eaten with the meal, it's all good in my books! But I am also a huge advocate of the keto lifestyle :) 

post #2849 of 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpJ View Post
 

Well as long as there's no carbs eaten with the meal, it's all good in my books! But I am also a huge advocate of the keto lifestyle :) 

 

Oh I thought even the fats weren't allowed (according to them). Still, there was a little over half a kilo of baked potatoes that I seasoned with garlic and herb olive oil, a little salt and pepper, then wrapped in aluminum foil and put it right on the grill next to the pork belly and steaks.

post #2850 of 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

 

Oh I thought even the fats weren't allowed (according to them). Still, there was a little over half a kilo of baked potatoes that I seasoned with garlic and herb olive oil, a little salt and pepper, then wrapped in aluminum foil and put it right on the grill next to the pork belly and steaks.



Can you buy duck fat in manilla? Amazing for potatoes! 

 

Ya, it depends on what diet you're on. But the keto is all about fat. You eat pretty much no carbs so that your body is forced to use fat as energy. So you need to eat extra fat just for your body not to fall into starvation mode - keeps the weight on because you're not eating enough. Your body needs one energy source: carbs or fat. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › how many of you guys cook???