Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › I must fix Californication.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I must fix Californication. - Page 7

post #91 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by salannelson View Post

Get the vinyl version, It's the only way. It doesn't sound miles better but it's better.



The vinyl is sourced from the CD. IMHO, it sounds worse. I have done 5 different transfers of 5 different pressings and they all suck.

post #92 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by salannelson View Post

Get the vinyl version, It's the only way. It doesn't sound miles better but it's better.



The vinyl is sourced from the CD. IMHO, it sounds worse. I have done 5 different transfers of 5 different pressings and they all suck.

How about as far as compression goes? I know it was recorded badly, but wouldn't there be less dynamic compression on the vinyl?

post #93 of 101


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salannelson View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by salannelson View Post

Get the vinyl version, It's the only way. It doesn't sound miles better but it's better.



The vinyl is sourced from the CD. IMHO, it sounds worse. I have done 5 different transfers of 5 different pressings and they all suck.

How about as far as compression goes? I know it was recorded badly, but wouldn't there be less dynamic compression on the vinyl?

Read what I wrote again.

 

The vinyl is sourced from the CD!!! I imagine that all they did was lower the level and filter the bass a bit. In essence you are listening to the CD with further processing and a few generations down. Not a good thing at all. The only way to get a decent sounding copy is to restore the CD a bit. Even then it still sounds rather bad.

 

The best fix is to go back to the multi's and redo everything.
 

post #94 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

Read what I wrote again.

 

The vinyl is sourced from the CD!!! I imagine that all they did was lower the level and filter the bass a bit. In essence you are listening to the CD with further processing and a few generations down. Not a good thing at all. The only way to get a decent sounding copy is to restore the CD a bit. Even then it still sounds rather bad.

 

The best fix is to go back to the multi's and redo everything.
 



Right that makes sense then. Sorry I'm not what you call an expert on this sort of thing.

post #95 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by salannelson View Post

Get the vinyl version, It's the only way. It doesn't sound miles better but it's better.



Sorry my post was meant as sarcasm. 

 

I'll just stick to the unmastered version for the time being.

post #96 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaD369 View Post

 

I'll just stick to the unmastered version for the time being.



Damn, I completely forgot about the unmastered version. I read about that a while back on wikipedia I think. Where can I get that?

post #97 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by salannelson View Post

Damn, I completely forgot about the unmastered version. I read about that a while back on wikipedia I think. Where can I get that?


http://www.google.com

 

It's your best friend, always.

post #98 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by salannelson View Post

Damn, I completely forgot about the unmastered version. I read about that a while back on wikipedia I think. Where can I get that?


http://www.google.com

 

It's your best friend, always.


Good point redface.gif

post #99 of 101

I really hate it because I love(ed) this album and I've got it in my main playlist, but every time a track comes on I HAVE to skip it.... it's brickwalled so bad that it makes me think the master engineer was trying to ruin them. Stadium Arcadium is the same way, and it just kills me. 

post #100 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgbox View Post

I really hate it because I love(ed) this album and I've got it in my main playlist, but every time a track comes on I HAVE to skip it.... it's brickwalled so bad that it makes me think the master engineer was trying to ruin them. Stadium Arcadium is the same way, and it just kills me. 



Californication absolutely needs some help.

 

This is the best "restoration" I have managed after years of learning little tricks:

 

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5l9ogy

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j0iqtr

 

Now, that's the best I got after several dozen attempts. In the end I think I got rid of 98% of all the distortion, with "Otherside" being the most difficult track to fix.

 

 

Now, Stadium Arcadium is a different story! Stadium Arcadium, on vinyl, sounds amazing.

post #101 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver :)

Sure did, it is so terribly harsh, clippy & compressed that I listened to it... what, two times? It is just unbearable, shame about the great music.


I got two and a half tracks through death magnetic before retiring it to the never listen to again pile. Even after I got the guitar hero version, still haven't listened to it through completely.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › I must fix Californication.