- 176 Posts. Joined 9/2009
- Location: Orlando, FL
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Liquid midrange headphones. 100-300$ Last post on 10/9/11 at 12:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 9/24/16 at 3:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is vs Alessandro MS2i Last post on 2/29/12 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open and Closed Headphones $300-$500 range. Last post on 10/4/11 at 10:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread - Page 32post #466 of 5121/30/13 at 8:14pmThink that's why I sprung for ms-2is, I do enjoy mellow cans but just wanted a little more aggression from what I've tried before. That and I'd rather try as many different flavors of headphones I can for the inevitable day I break down and splurge on some top tier cans. This site truly is a gift and a curse.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #467 of 5121/30/13 at 8:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by beyondthepale35
Think that's why I sprung for ms-2is, I do enjoy mellow cans but just wanted a little more aggression from what I've tried before. That and I'd rather try as many different flavors of headphones I can for the inevitable day I break down and splurge on some top tier cans. This site truly is a gift and a curse.
In that case you have chosen an excellent headphone.
They actually reminded me of my Vandersteen 2Ci speakers, like they were mounted to my ears, their beautiful, enjoy them.
I believe you are definitely getting some top tier headphones, without splurging!
Edited by joseph69 - 1/30/13 at 10:22pmpost #468 of 5122/1/13 at 1:25pm
I've not been a serious headphone listener in the past. I've had a couple headphones over the years: Sennheiser HD420 (from the early 80s) and Grado SR60 from about 12 years ago. I just re-stumbled into Head-Fi a few weeks ago and bought the Panasonic RP-HTF600. They sound pretty good - especially for less than $30! That got me interested and I found my HD420 and SR60 in the attic. The old HD420 had taken too much abuse and had to be thrown out. The SR60 still sounded great - it just needed some new pads. I started comparing it with the HTF600 and they both have their strengths - in my noobie opinion. I like the SR60 better except for some bass on some songs. Then I started reading Head-Fi some more, thinking - maybe I could spend just a bit more and get something even better!
Based mostly on the comments/opinions/descriptions in this thread, I just purchased MS2 last night and I can't wait to try them out. I'll be listening to FLAC music through a Schiit Magni & Modi.
So it looks like I'm already following the Head-Fi crowd: 2 pairs of headphones; a headphone amp; a dac; and I've bookmarked all the conversations about pads so I can see which ones I want to try after the MS2 comes in. Speaking of which, what's the usual lead time from Allesandro?
Thanks for the Thread! And I know you're sorry about my wallet...post #469 of 5122/1/13 at 2:30pm
Good for you!!! Excellent headphones IMO.
About three months ago I purchased the MS2i (I no longer have), and I waited less than one week for them to arrive. It may take more or less time depending on their stock. When I ordered mine, I called Alessandro first to see if they had them in stock, and they did, so it didn't take long at all.
BTW I'm in N.Y and Alessandro is my neighbor being right in P.A., so you might want to take that into consideration also. I received them through the U.S.P.S.
Enjoy them, they are really nice!! The only reason I traded them for the Grado SR325is, is because I loved the attack of the Grado. If I wanted a mellower headphone I would definitely buy the MS2i again.post #470 of 5122/1/13 at 2:33pmpost #471 of 5124/16/13 at 12:22am
listening to my MS2i through my new Dangerous Music Source.
wowsers, never heard em sound this good. well in the groove here as they pair very nicely:
looking forward to my new XLR cables arriving soon too so I can get the Dynaudio DBM50 active monitors in on the party...post #472 of 5124/16/13 at 11:11ampost #473 of 5125/4/13 at 5:29pm
I would really like to try out the Dangerous Music Source but it's too expensive for me at the moment and I think I'll never use all of its features.
Edited by Moustache - 5/5/13 at 4:33ampost #474 of 5125/5/13 at 10:34pmQuote:
could always bundle a Schiit Amp and DAC too, for under $500....post #475 of 5125/5/13 at 10:42pm
wondering if anyone has tried the Symphones Magnum upgrade for the MS2i?
at $400, price is pretty steep and 2/3 the cost of PS500s. wondering if the quality boost would be worth it vs just getting another set of cans:
i know there's a pretty long thread on the subject:
Edited by aphinity - 5/5/13 at 10:48pmpost #476 of 51210/28/13 at 12:52ampost #477 of 51210/30/13 at 7:40pm
The MS2i is one of the best buys in the Grado lineup IMO. I am A/Bing them with the PS500 ATM - The MS2i with taped bowls is very similar to the PS500 in tonality, a little less bass and a flatter soundstage ( not as much space around the instruments and depth to the soundstage, voices sound a bit more natural - very little in it, probably a bit more 3D ) but so close that I am finding it getting harder and harder to justify the PS500s at double the price. $329 and a bit of electrical tape will get you 95% there. But as any audiophile will tell you - that extra 5% always comes at a cost and is worth it, provided the rest of your system matches up.
Actually listening a bit further on the PS500s - the differnce in realisim is pretty apparent and it may be worth 10% rather than 5% so I will readjust my rating to MS2i with taped bowls being 90% of PS500 - Still great value for half the price.
Edited by bookaboo - 10/30/13 at 7:47pmpost #478 of 51210/30/13 at 8:27pm
I'm so curious about these i almost bought them a couple of times when they appeared on ebay. I think part of the curiosity is i've never heard an alloy Grado. I currently own the MS1 and MS-Pro's so i NEED to try a pair, the curiosity is killing mepost #479 of 51210/30/13 at 10:47pmQuote:
You should, you might surprise by it sounds, though, it is not technically better than your Pros, but, definitly the MS2i is a keeper for mepost #480 of 5121/26/14 at 3:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by beyondthepale35
Well, I had a pair of Mad Dogs that I liked a lot but just didnt think I could get the most out of with my system. That and I didnt really enjoy having to bring my amp and DAC everywhere with me. Was going to trade for a pair of HD600s but got offered a woodied, recabled pair of MS2s. Since SR-60s were what got me into head-fi I figured Id take a chance on the MS-2s. Should be here on Friday, can't wait to see how these compare to an Ortho. Since 80% of my music is some form of progressive rock, dont think Im going to be disappointed...
Hey beyondthepale35, what are your thoughts on your modded MS2s vs. the Mad Dogs? I've loved my MS1s since 2005 and always figured the MS2s were next in my collection. However, I somehow ended up going for the Mad Dog 3.2 instead... I like the Mad Dog (and love the depth of the planar magnetic bass that comes along with them) but they lack the punch of my MS1s (probably from the awesome Alessandro mid-bass?)
Help me out and give me some thoughts--what do you think of your MS2? How's it compare to the Mad Dog, and does it still have that punch that I like?
- MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Stax Thread III 31 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 40 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › 2016 Southeastern Michigan FALL Head-Fi Meet: SATURDAY, OCTOBER... 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 5 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 5 minutes ago
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...