- 171 Posts. Joined 9/2009
- Location: Orlando, FL
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Liquid midrange headphones. 100-300$ Last post on 10/9/11 at 12:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on Today at 2:21 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- grado hole venting Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is vs Alessandro MS2i Last post on 2/29/12 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open and Closed Headphones $300-$500 range. Last post on 10/4/11 at 10:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These have nice dynamics and are flatter than some headphones. Despite that the low-end still has enough gusto to bring tracks to life. Another benefit is the detachable cable which uses a 5N OFC...
Disclaimer: I am in not associated with any company; my views are mine, and my own. The Thinksound Rain2 is the newest IEM produced and designed by the environmentally friendly company...
Introduction: When I first came accross the AudioMinor in e-bay I was surprised that the seller is located in the country where I live: Turkey. I have contacted with the company owner/ebay...
For those if you who know me, you know i prefer the FR curve to be as neutral as possible. I have the Etymotic ER4s (ER4p with Etymotic's 75 ohm converter cable), had the HF5, and tried many...
Around 2009, the rumbling and chatter at Headfi.org was getting louder… It was beginning to roar. There was mention of a DIY designer who had an amp that would not only change headphone...
MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread - Page 32post #466 of 5021/30/13 at 8:14pmThink that's why I sprung for ms-2is, I do enjoy mellow cans but just wanted a little more aggression from what I've tried before. That and I'd rather try as many different flavors of headphones I can for the inevitable day I break down and splurge on some top tier cans. This site truly is a gift and a curse.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #467 of 5021/30/13 at 8:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by beyondthepale35
Think that's why I sprung for ms-2is, I do enjoy mellow cans but just wanted a little more aggression from what I've tried before. That and I'd rather try as many different flavors of headphones I can for the inevitable day I break down and splurge on some top tier cans. This site truly is a gift and a curse.
In that case you have chosen an excellent headphone.
They actually reminded me of my Vandersteen 2Ci speakers, like they were mounted to my ears, their beautiful, enjoy them.
I believe you are definitely getting some top tier headphones, without splurging!
Edited by joseph69 - 1/30/13 at 10:22pmpost #468 of 5022/1/13 at 1:25pm
I've not been a serious headphone listener in the past. I've had a couple headphones over the years: Sennheiser HD420 (from the early 80s) and Grado SR60 from about 12 years ago. I just re-stumbled into Head-Fi a few weeks ago and bought the Panasonic RP-HTF600. They sound pretty good - especially for less than $30! That got me interested and I found my HD420 and SR60 in the attic. The old HD420 had taken too much abuse and had to be thrown out. The SR60 still sounded great - it just needed some new pads. I started comparing it with the HTF600 and they both have their strengths - in my noobie opinion. I like the SR60 better except for some bass on some songs. Then I started reading Head-Fi some more, thinking - maybe I could spend just a bit more and get something even better!
Based mostly on the comments/opinions/descriptions in this thread, I just purchased MS2 last night and I can't wait to try them out. I'll be listening to FLAC music through a Schiit Magni & Modi.
So it looks like I'm already following the Head-Fi crowd: 2 pairs of headphones; a headphone amp; a dac; and I've bookmarked all the conversations about pads so I can see which ones I want to try after the MS2 comes in. Speaking of which, what's the usual lead time from Allesandro?
Thanks for the Thread! And I know you're sorry about my wallet...post #469 of 5022/1/13 at 2:30pm
Good for you!!! Excellent headphones IMO.
About three months ago I purchased the MS2i (I no longer have), and I waited less than one week for them to arrive. It may take more or less time depending on their stock. When I ordered mine, I called Alessandro first to see if they had them in stock, and they did, so it didn't take long at all.
BTW I'm in N.Y and Alessandro is my neighbor being right in P.A., so you might want to take that into consideration also. I received them through the U.S.P.S.
Enjoy them, they are really nice!! The only reason I traded them for the Grado SR325is, is because I loved the attack of the Grado. If I wanted a mellower headphone I would definitely buy the MS2i again.post #470 of 5022/1/13 at 2:33pmpost #471 of 5024/16/13 at 12:22am
listening to my MS2i through my new Dangerous Music Source.
wowsers, never heard em sound this good. well in the groove here as they pair very nicely:
looking forward to my new XLR cables arriving soon too so I can get the Dynaudio DBM50 active monitors in on the party...post #472 of 5024/16/13 at 11:11ampost #473 of 5025/4/13 at 5:29pm
I would really like to try out the Dangerous Music Source but it's too expensive for me at the moment and I think I'll never use all of its features.
Edited by Moustache - 5/5/13 at 4:33ampost #474 of 5025/5/13 at 10:34pmQuote:
could always bundle a Schiit Amp and DAC too, for under $500....post #475 of 5025/5/13 at 10:42pm
wondering if anyone has tried the Symphones Magnum upgrade for the MS2i?
at $400, price is pretty steep and 2/3 the cost of PS500s. wondering if the quality boost would be worth it vs just getting another set of cans:
i know there's a pretty long thread on the subject:
Edited by aphinity - 5/5/13 at 10:48pmpost #476 of 50210/28/13 at 12:52ampost #477 of 50210/30/13 at 7:40pm
The MS2i is one of the best buys in the Grado lineup IMO. I am A/Bing them with the PS500 ATM - The MS2i with taped bowls is very similar to the PS500 in tonality, a little less bass and a flatter soundstage ( not as much space around the instruments and depth to the soundstage, voices sound a bit more natural - very little in it, probably a bit more 3D ) but so close that I am finding it getting harder and harder to justify the PS500s at double the price. $329 and a bit of electrical tape will get you 95% there. But as any audiophile will tell you - that extra 5% always comes at a cost and is worth it, provided the rest of your system matches up.
Actually listening a bit further on the PS500s - the differnce in realisim is pretty apparent and it may be worth 10% rather than 5% so I will readjust my rating to MS2i with taped bowls being 90% of PS500 - Still great value for half the price.
Edited by bookaboo - 10/30/13 at 7:47pmpost #478 of 50210/30/13 at 8:27pm
I'm so curious about these i almost bought them a couple of times when they appeared on ebay. I think part of the curiosity is i've never heard an alloy Grado. I currently own the MS1 and MS-Pro's so i NEED to try a pair, the curiosity is killing mepost #479 of 50210/30/13 at 10:47pmQuote:
You should, you might surprise by it sounds, though, it is not technically better than your Pros, but, definitly the MS2i is a keeper for mepost #480 of 5021/26/14 at 3:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by beyondthepale35
Well, I had a pair of Mad Dogs that I liked a lot but just didnt think I could get the most out of with my system. That and I didnt really enjoy having to bring my amp and DAC everywhere with me. Was going to trade for a pair of HD600s but got offered a woodied, recabled pair of MS2s. Since SR-60s were what got me into head-fi I figured Id take a chance on the MS-2s. Should be here on Friday, can't wait to see how these compare to an Ortho. Since 80% of my music is some form of progressive rock, dont think Im going to be disappointed...
Hey beyondthepale35, what are your thoughts on your modded MS2s vs. the Mad Dogs? I've loved my MS1s since 2005 and always figured the MS2s were next in my collection. However, I somehow ended up going for the Mad Dog 3.2 instead... I like the Mad Dog (and love the depth of the planar magnetic bass that comes along with them) but they lack the punch of my MS1s (probably from the awesome Alessandro mid-bass?)
Help me out and give me some thoughts--what do you think of your MS2? How's it compare to the Mad Dog, and does it still have that punch that I like?
- MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The new Sansui SS-100 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 3 minutes ago
- › Headphone Wire recommendation 3 minutes ago
- › $500 DSD DAC w/ XLR Out & Remote? 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 5 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 6 minutes ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Hifi Enthusiast
- › Schiit Vali by CEE TEE
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by ClieOS
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by potatoe94
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3