Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any anime series that you've been enjoying? - Page 403

post #6031 of 6444

Code Geass...another one of those that I meant to take a look at, but haven't gotten around to yet.  There was a lot of hype for it amongst some of the folks I know, so that may be one of the reasons I kind of stayed away.

 

Speaking of hype...the third blu ray set for Madoka should be over in the mailroom here at work now.  I'm attending a workshop every weeknight until the 29th, however, so anime watching is pretty much non-existent.  Except maybe to watch something light to unwind before calling it a night or something.

post #6032 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

Code Geass...another one of those that I meant to take a look at, but haven't gotten around to yet.  There was a lot of hype for it amongst some of the folks I know, so that may be one of the reasons I kind of stayed away.

 

Speaking of hype...the third blu ray set for Madoka should be over in the mailroom here at work now.  I'm attending a workshop every weeknight until the 29th, however, so anime watching is pretty much non-existent.  Except maybe to watch something light to unwind before calling it a night or something.

 

mine got here monday i think it was? still need to find the time to get around to watching it...

 

Equus, i would definitely find the time to watch Code Geass, very good show, easily in my top 10 ever

 

but now that the season is coming to a close, im sad to see Kids on the Slope go, its been such an awesome show, second only to Fate/Zero for the season

post #6033 of 6444

Cool...I'll have to get around to it then.  I had the DVDs from Netflix sitting in my apartment for months before I finally just sent them back because I never got around to watching them.  :P

post #6034 of 6444

Anybody know if Serial Experiment Lain was dubbed? Is it good dubbed?

post #6035 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Anybody know if Serial Experiment Lain was dubbed? Is it good dubbed?
Why would you want to watch it dubbed?
post #6036 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Anybody know if Serial Experiment Lain was dubbed? Is it good dubbed?
Why would you want to watch it dubbed?

This.

post #6037 of 6444

^x2

Kyon-Episode-One-The-Melancholy-of-Haruhi-Suzumiya-Part-1-teddybear64-21826794-640-360.jpg

 

I know Lain has a dub but haven't heard anything about its quality. 

post #6038 of 6444

Instead of helping you guys are just looking like elitists.

post #6039 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Instead of helping you guys are just looking like elitists.
It's in my nature as a Dutchman; I need to know the purpose of my action before I will even start on it.
post #6040 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

Code Geass...another one of those that I meant to take a look at, but haven't gotten around to yet.  There was a lot of hype for it amongst some of the folks I know, so that may be one of the reasons I kind of stayed away.

 

Speaking of hype...the third blu ray set for Madoka should be over in the mailroom here at work now.  I'm attending a workshop every weeknight until the 29th, however, so anime watching is pretty much non-existent.  Except maybe to watch something light to unwind before calling it a night or something.


I've heard some stuff about Code Geass... be sure to tell us how it is when you get around to it.

 

Madoka's not very light, so... you want to have time for watching it hahaha

post #6041 of 6444

Just throwing this out there... Some anime are BETTER dubbed than in Japanese with subtitles. Others are just AS good. Sure there is plenty of horrible and subpar dubs, but companies have gotten better and have made some amazing strides. So long as it isn't an outright comedy that requires the language for context or in a setting where the dub would harm the delivery because of any number of factors, I really see no issues in preferring dubs to subs. 

 

Two off the top of my head that were hand down better than their Japanese counterparts were Cowboy Bebop (Even the Director Watanabe agrees with this one) and Baccano.

 

If I have the opportunity to watch both, I will and based on the first episode, I may opt to watch the dub over the sub or visa versa. As much as I like hearing the original voice actors, if the English voice over actors do the script and original source material justice, I see no reason to enjoy it in my native language and not miss anything because timing  was off or the subs weren't broken up improperly by the company (or fansub group) which happens at times. Certain groups tend to not have that issue, and professional subs rarely do (it DOES happen occasionally, but usually with properties the licensing company doesn't care about). 

 

If you guys want to be elitist and disregard quality work, be my guest, but I'll continue deciding based on my preferences and availability. I've rarely lost anything from watching a dub of a series.

 

BTW, so far there is only one series that I feel that the dub was better...yet...worse... (Bear with me on this one) Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. The original VAs when switching to English was sometimes PAINFUL to listen to. However, I felt like something was lost without the switching between languages (Japanese to English) some scenes just... didn't work. Then there is the Dubbing of the music... The original Japanese, though not always singing in perfect English, did get it across well enough, and the energy was just... better. 

post #6042 of 6444

Just want to throw this out there since I'm insecure like that but...

 

I completely agree with the ^above post. Kyon was face-palming the immediate dub disparaging that occurred, not Jgrays search for facts and opinions. tongue.gif

post #6043 of 6444

I still watch subs, mind you, and were pretty butthurt elitist for a while, but as much as I don't want to, some dubs really are better and just so much more easier for us stupid gaijin.

post #6044 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortieFish View Post


I've heard some stuff about Code Geass... be sure to tell us how it is when you get around to it.

 

Madoka's not very light, so... you want to have time for watching it hahaha

 

Will do.  And yeah...my friend's wife has seen the whole series, I think she was watching it in Japanese while it was being released.  So I've already been a little spoiled about plot elements and things like that, but I should be fine.  I think I posted something on Facebook to the extent of "LET THE EMOTIONAL SCARRING BEGIN!"

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

I still watch subs, mind you, and were pretty butthurt elitist for a while, but as much as I don't want to, some dubs really are better and just so much more easier for us stupid gaijin.

 

I'm totally a subs elitist, but I really don't care if people want to watch an English dub...or Spanish, or French, or Farsi, or whatever.  It's all about enjoying anime, IMO, not about passing judgement on folks for their viewing habits or arguing about which language is better than the other.  Same thing with video games from Japan.  I prefer to have the Japanese vocal track, but it's not usually a deal breaker for me.  I personally usually think the quality of voice work on the Japanese tracks are better, but that's totally subjective.  I also prefer to hear it in Japanese because there are some lines with cultural connotations or significance that I understand in Japanese, but that don't translate well to another language.  Like I think I've said before, however, I grew up in a Japanese American family, so my exposure and experience is not something I'd expect everyone to have, so other will undoubtedly enjoy watching things differently.

 

As for Lain, I believe it does have an English dub.  It was released by the now defunct company Geneon (a moment of silence please).  As for the quality of the dub, I can't say.  I've only ever seen it in Japanese...huge surprise there.

post #6045 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

 

I'm totally a subs elitist, but I really don't care if people want to watch an English dub...or Spanish, or French, or Farsi, or whatever.  It's all about enjoying anime, IMO, not about passing judgement on folks for their viewing habits or arguing about which language is better than the other.  Same thing with video games from Japan.  I prefer to have the Japanese vocal track, but it's not usually a deal breaker for me.  I personally usually think the quality of voice work on the Japanese tracks are better, but that's totally subjective.  I also prefer to hear it in Japanese because there are some lines with cultural connotations or significance that I understand in Japanese, but that don't translate well to another language.  Like I think I've said before, however, I grew up in a Japanese American family, so my exposure and experience is not something I'd expect everyone to have, so other will undoubtedly enjoy watching things differently.

 

As for Lain, I believe it does have an English dub.  It was released by the now defunct company Geneon (a moment of silence please).  As for the quality of the dub, I can't say.  I've only ever seen it in Japanese...huge surprise there.

I've come to this point of view: let people enjoy however they want. It seems like wasteful energy spent trying to convince zealously about it. 

 

As for sub vs dub, I guess the ultimate test for me personally would be the upcoming licensed Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei that's rumored to be in the works. Definitely will be highly critical of it, regardless if I can actually understand the breadth of the original Japanese, as I felt the fansubbers did a stupendously great job at explaining almost all the cultural references. It's better if I don't have to pause every half a second to enjoy it more fully.

 

Regarding Lain, I've checked it on youtube. Doesn't seem too bad, but it's not good either. So so I guess. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Any anime series that you've been enjoying?