or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 438

post #6556 of 6564
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

 

PS: when you are making them, they are NEVER perfect. You know every little spot, nook, mis-measurement and cranny. It can be frustrating in that regard.

Bruce.....I think you're to much of a perfectionist, I think it's because of all the training you did as an Olympic athlete in the old country.  

post #6557 of 6564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post
 

Bruce.....I think you're to much of a perfectionist, I think it's because of all the training you did as an Olympic athlete in the old country.  

 

LMAO...I was actually looking through that thread a few days ago...I really liked that tour.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686212/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come/165#post_10245404

 

Sadly I have lost some of my form and am no longer quite as athletically inclined as I was in my youth....

post #6558 of 6564

in terms of cup depth it's also worth reading this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592921/cup-tuning-basics

post #6559 of 6564
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagster View Post
 

in terms of cup depth it's also worth reading this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592921/cup-tuning-basics

So far I like Hard Maple, Hard Maple/Mahogany and Western Red Cedar the best, that's not to say I don't like the rest. 

 

 I like to keep the cups between an inch and an inch and 1/4. Longer cups can get a little honky.

 

The size of the inner lip has a lot to do with cup tuning also. The button Grado puts on the middle of the screen is there for tuning purposes.

 

Western red Cedar is one of the softer soft woods and I like it. I tried it because it's used a lot as a top wood (soundboard) on acoustic guitars because of it's projection. I wanted to try Sitca Spruce because it's used on a lot of acoustic guitars soundboards also and on 90% of the Guitars Taylor makes...... but I don't like the looks of it, I want to use a tone-wood that looks nice.


Edited by 7keys - Yesterday at 9:36 am
post #6560 of 6564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post
 

So far I like Hard Maple, Hard Maple/Mahogany and Western Red Cedar the best, that's not to say I don't like the rest. 

 

 

i couldn't agree more

my faves are the maple/mahogany and the cedar in that order

(the cedar ones are in my bag to listen to at work tonite)

post #6561 of 6564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty McGhee View Post
 

 

i couldn't agree more

my faves are the maple/mahogany and the cedar in that order

(the cedar ones are in my bag to listen to at work tonite)

 

Not going to lie...I really like good old Mahogany. For a while there I really liked super-hard Lignum Vitae, but tastes change :)...not sure I am ready to settle though. I want to have a go at some Ebony and some Cocobolo.

post #6562 of 6564

Did a little personal work this morning...thought I would see just how thin I could make a wall while copying the old SR-series style cup...surprised these made it through, but they work well. Put them on some SR60 pinks I picked up from 7Keys (thanks again!):

 

 

 

 

I think one of the greatest legacies Joseph Grado left behind is never really talked about, but we celebrate it everyday in this thread...the original design of the Grado headphone is crushingly simple and elegant. Its a masterpiece of industrial design...

 

Edit: by the "original design" I mean the driver-in-a-sleeve-with-an-outer-cup-in-a-yoke setup...I keep wondering if there is a better way to make them to no avail...


Edited by fleasbaby - Today at 1:09 pm
post #6563 of 6564
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

Did a little personal work this morning...thought I would see just how thin I could make a wall while copying the old SR-series style cup...surprised these made it through, but they work well. Put them on some SR60 pinks I picked up from 7Keys (thanks again!):

 

 

 

 

I think one of the greatest legacies Joseph Grado left behind is never really talked about, but we celebrate it everyday in this thread...the original design of the Grado headphone is crushingly simple and elegant. Its a masterpiece of industrial design...

 

Edit: by the "original design" I mean the driver-in-a-sleeve-with-an-outer-cup-in-a-yoke setup...I keep wondering if there is a better way to make them to no avail...

You should make another pair with thicker walls to compare.

post #6564 of 6564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post
 

You should make another pair with thicker walls to compare.

 

Any thicker and I start having to heat and stretch out the gimbals...I might make a full-woody pair though, to do a comparison :).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....