Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 339

post #5071 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheAwesome View Post
 

Hi Guys

 

I am planning on doing my own grado sr60i wood mod.

 

Can someone please let me know if my measurements are correct? I will send it to a professional to make it, so id like it to be 100%

 

THANKS 

 

 

 

They look about right...are you planning to use fully-liberated drivers, with foam tape around the edges?

post #5072 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheAwesome View Post
 

Hi Guys

 

I am planning on doing my own grado sr60i wood mod.

 

Can someone please let me know if my measurements are correct? I will send it to a professional to make it, so id like it to be 100%

 

THANKS 

 

 

 

They look about right...you planning to use fully liberated drivers with foam tape around their edges?

post #5073 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

 

They look about right...you planning to use fully liberated drivers with foam tape around their edges?

Not actually, I'm planning on using some kind of had glue. So any vibration will resonate with the tone of the wood itself.

 

Not sure if thats a good idea, but i like the idea of wood as a resonant.

post #5074 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheAwesome View Post
 

Hi Guys

 

I am planning on doing my own grado sr60i wood mod.

 

Can someone please let me know if my measurements are correct? I will send it to a professional to make it, so id like it to be 100%

 

THANKS 

 

 

 

I recommend you do one of two things for the inner diameter that the drivers will fit into. Either provide a tolerance for this diameter (-0mm, +1mm) should be good or provide the drivers you intend to use and describe what kind of fit you're looking for to the fabricator.

post #5075 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbmet View Post
 

I recommend you do one of two things for the inner diameter that the drivers will fit into. Either provide a tolerance for this diameter (-0mm, +1mm) should be good or provide the drivers you intend to use and describe what kind of fit you're looking for to the fabricator.

To be honest I was thinking about the same thing last night when I was revising it. 

 

Thanks. 

post #5076 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheAwesome View Post

Not actually, I'm planning on using some kind of had glue. So any vibration will resonate with the tone of the wood itself.

Not sure if thats a good idea, but i like the idea of wood as a resonant.

IMO it's not a good idea, since you may be changing drivers or moving the cups to a new project, or just doing more mods. If your tolerances are good you can friction fit and get the same effect.

My 2c.
post #5077 of 5454
Edit: nvm
Edited by Hapster - 7/5/14 at 4:57pm
post #5078 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapster View Post

Edit: nvm

...re: circumnaural Grados...I am working on a more comfortable cup based on the Beyer DT cups using Grado drivers...have tried it in Walnut, and it works nicely. Trying to figure out a decent headband...tricky as heck finding that...
post #5079 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post

IMO it's not a good idea, since you may be changing drivers or moving the cups to a new project, or just doing more mods. If your tolerances are good you can friction fit and get the same effect.

My 2c.

Point taken. Ummm.. Decisions decision...

To be honest I'll not be ducking around that one that much, it will be a present for my father.

I'm just scared of tolerances because wood is not that grat for lest than 0,1mm of tolerance, and Im scared of the buggers starting vibrating. I would be able to fix in a seccond, but it's ment to be a personal present. Not cool to get something that stats distorting after a couple of days.
post #5080 of 5454

If it's a headphone you're not planning on taking apart again unless it's for repairs then just glue them together imo.

post #5081 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post

If it's a headphone you're not planning on taking apart again unless it's for repairs then just glue them together imo.

That's the plan...
post #5082 of 5454

Jim had some time to turn a few pairs of cups this weekend, and wanted to try his hand at the GS1000 shape, as well as do a pair of our personal design in Lignum...the results are rather nice:

 

Tigre Caspi

 

Honduran Rosewood:

 

Lignum Vitae:

 

The Lignum are nice and light in this design compared to the bulkier RS1-style cut he did for me before. Am tempted to hand mine back to him and ask him to slim them down like these...

post #5083 of 5454

I really like the Tigre Caspi

post #5084 of 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post
 

I really like the Tigre Caspi

 

Jim was worried when he saw it was spalted (apparently a lot of spalted wood has pulpy, soft sections in it because the spalting is caused by mold in the wood). He told me this morning the piece was very good...hard all the way through.

post #5085 of 5454

Yes, they say spalted wood is not good as a tone-wood because of voids in the wood. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....