Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 327

post #4891 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1f1add1cted View Post
 

Is there any way to mod a RS2i to detachable cables, e.g. for a short one ("mobil" use) and a long one (home use at a full size amp)? Interesting thread too, some nice mods - great work :normal_smile :

Yeah! 

post #4892 of 5198

Ok is any tutorial or something available? Thank you ;)

post #4893 of 5198

I've never seen a detachable cable mod done on an RS1 or RS2, but plenty on SR ones...here's one for a single-sided SR60i:

 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grado-SR60i-Single-Side-Detachable-Cable-Mod/

 

Here's another for SR325is, or Allesandro MS2:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/142410/diy-guide-detachable-cables-on-a-metal-grado

 

The problem you will face is opening up those gorgeous mahogany cups without destroying them. You might want to pay someone like the gentleman at BTG Audio to do this....

post #4894 of 5198

The problem won't be so much getting the cups off but you're going to have to drill to make a hole big enough to fit a connector in there, which is going to imply recoating the wood where you drilled somehow. Without some wood working skills I wouldn't attempt to mess with RS2s/RS1s/GS1ks.

post #4895 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho-mex View Post
 

 

 

Just finished my first grado headphones!

 Nice! What kind of wood is that?

Looks like you followed the headfonics thread  how-to-get-a-perfect-woody........... hole saw method for those.


Edited by 7keys - 4/26/14 at 2:17pm
post #4896 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post
 

 Nice! What kind of wood is that?

Looks like you followed the headfonics thread  how-to-get-a-perfect-woody........... hole saw method for those.

Yes all I used was hole-saws on a mill and a lot of sanding :tongue_smile:

They are made out mahogany that I found by visiting a local furniture maker. He gave it to me for 5 dollars!

The grills are made out of a strainer I found in my kitchen jeje

post #4897 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

nice! can you give us more details about these headphones? drivers? what kind of cable? etc...

 

Yeah I made them out an SR-80i headset.

Everything else I bought from a place called qables on the internet (silver wire, y-splitter, neutrik connector, and the mylar sleeve). They have good products and prices.

The hardest thing is getting a good finish!

post #4898 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho-mex View Post
 

 

Yeah I made them out an SR-80i headset.

Everything else I bought from a place called qables on the internet (silver wire, y-splitter, neutrik connector, and the mylar sleeve). They have good products and prices.

The hardest thing is getting a good finish!

cool. i'm finishing up a woody build using some sr225 drivers that i was able to buy for pretty cheap. cable's done, just waiting on the wood cups to come next week (i'm not adventurous enough to build the cups like you did). i hope to have it completed by next weekend and i'll post some pics.

post #4899 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
 

cool. i'm finishing up a woody build using some sr225 drivers that i was able to buy for pretty cheap. cable's done, just waiting on the wood cups to come next week (i'm not adventurous enough to build the cups like you did). i hope to have it completed by next weekend and i'll post some pics.

Nice man, good luck on your build. When soldering the wire to the drivers try to do it as fast as possible to not damage the drivers. Also try to make the wire contact the metal pad directly instead of using solder as a bridge. This should improve the sound quality :)

post #4900 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

I've never seen a detachable cable mod done on an RS1 or RS2, but plenty on SR ones...here's one for a single-sided SR60i:

 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grado-SR60i-Single-Side-Detachable-Cable-Mod/

 

Here's another for SR325is, or Allesandro MS2:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/142410/diy-guide-detachable-cables-on-a-metal-grado

 

The problem you will face is opening up those gorgeous mahogany cups without destroying them. You might want to pay someone like the gentleman at BTG Audio to do this....

 

Thanks man, yes I think I will search for someone he can do this proberly.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

The problem won't be so much getting the cups off but you're going to have to drill to make a hole big enough to fit a connector in there, which is going to imply recoating the wood where you drilled somehow. Without some wood working skills I wouldn't attempt to mess with RS2s/RS1s/GS1ks.

Yes that's true, I don't want to destroy this beautiful headphones.

post #4901 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho-mex View Post
 

Nice man, good luck on your build. When soldering the wire to the drivers try to do it as fast as possible to not damage the drivers. Also try to make the wire contact the metal pad directly instead of using solder as a bridge. This should improve the sound quality :)

thanks...i've modded my sr60 with new cables and replaced one of the drivers, so feel pretty comfortable with the recabling. right now my biggest question/worry is about putting the grills in - @fleasbaby suggested i repurpose the mesh from the sr225 housing, which is what i'll try to do first. but i also bought some cheap mesh off of ebay that i can use in case that doesn't work.  hopefully, i'll be able to post pics next weekend.

post #4902 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho-mex View Post
 

Yes all I used was hole-saws on a mill and a lot of sanding :tongue_smile:

They are made out mahogany that I found by visiting a local furniture maker. He gave it to me for 5 dollars!

The grills are made out of a strainer I found in my kitchen jeje

I put little feet on the bottom so it would hold an ear pad.

 

post #4903 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

 

Good choice on the Vintage cups btw! I had a pair a while ago....I love the shape...

I have set number #3. Luke was incredibly cool to deal with, and I can't recommend him highly enough. 

I'm looking forward to the Magnums in a big way. 

post #4904 of 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post
 

I put little feet on the bottom so it would hold an ear pad.

 

NIce! That should help a lot, very smart. 

post #4905 of 5198

...I upgraded my personal build (cable courtesy of fellow head-fier, wje; drivers are Turbulent X; headband is also from Turbulent) last night, and switched out my Cabillas, GS1000 clone cups for a pair of RS1-style Lignum Vitae...

 

 

Jim dropped a few pairs off for me yesterday, one pair went off to a nice fellow in Hawaii, I have another two pairs on my shelf. Jim kindly threw in a third pair specifically for me, on the house. I was most grateful. As I noted with the first pair he made, they tighten the sound up a lot, and seem to enhance accuracy.

 

The color is interesting...its an odd, green-tinged brown.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....