- 1,880 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 7/6/15
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Not too long ago, I was a lowly noob looking for my first headphones. I waded through the murky waters of terminology I couldn’t understand and brands I’d never heard of before. Over time, some...
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
post your grado mods.... - Page 323post #4831 of 64844/5/14 at 3:56pm...one piece wood cups are the way to go...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4832 of 64844/5/14 at 3:57pmpost #4833 of 64844/5/14 at 4:04pm
which is the response i expected. i'll look into picking up some wood cups...any ideas for good cups with good price/performance? i know there are some links on various posts and i'll look through those again. thanks...post #4834 of 64844/5/14 at 4:41pmQuote:
PM 7keys or fleasbabypost #4835 of 64844/7/14 at 7:31amOn the road to "A More Comfortable Grado"...will fit into a Beyer headband and take Beyer pads. The body is solid walnut:
At the moment the bass in brain-meltingly deep and heavy..need to find a way to tame it...any suggestions?
I know Smeggy's Thunderpants and the MS1000 mod have vent holes drilled in them...thinking that might be the answer...something small next to the cable hole.post #4836 of 64844/7/14 at 8:09am
Maybe the wood baffle ear-side needs some extra material directly on the wood.
There's plenty of surface area that you can cover with a damping material - all I can say is try to find one that tames bass.post #4837 of 64844/7/14 at 8:12ampost #4838 of 64844/7/14 at 8:22amQuote:
Thanks Greq! So something like adhesive felt?post #4839 of 64844/7/14 at 9:11am
I wouldn't put anything adhesive directly onto wood - unless it's got a very good protective varnish.
But yeah, I would try out something like that, felt, denim, gauze, make-up pads, even combinations of these materials might be able to tune the bass to your liking.
But this is all theory from limited experience.post #4840 of 64844/7/14 at 9:15amThanks Greq...these are actually prototypes, so I am not too worried about damaging the wood. Jim and I are still trying to nail down the design. He has also said he can hollow them out a little to see what that does...
I might pursue your suggestions before going crazy drilling vent holes or hollowing them...post #4841 of 64844/7/14 at 9:24am
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.post #4842 of 64844/7/14 at 9:54amQuote:Originally Posted by stratocaster
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.
Not entirely true - I created some new pads for my grado using a lighter more open-cell (higher permeability) foam, which increased bass slightly.
Might be worth trying to find a thin sheet of dense foam as a damping material?post #4843 of 64844/7/14 at 10:01am
Just apply the electric tape or sock mod on the pads and you will hear what a little less permeability of the pad material will do. It will significantly increase the lower frequencies.post #4844 of 64844/7/14 at 10:03am
...am actually doing that right now (not the tape or sock mod, trying foam). Found a thin, dense foamed floormat that was scrap and am trying a disc of it over the drivers. It helps, but I might need to punch holes in it to allow some better airflow.
Edited by fleasbaby - 4/7/14 at 10:10ampost #4845 of 64844/7/14 at 1:23pmQuote:
I'm aware of these mods, but my point is that you can't always expect the sound to change exactly as you think based on past experiences when applied to something new/different.
Which is exactly what happened with my DIY earpad.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Best DAC/Amp for Fidelio X2? 13 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 1 minute ago
- › New Sony EX450 and EX650. 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-002W High Edition 3 minutes ago
- › UpTone Audio USB REGEN 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3