- 2,751 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 12/30/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
First of all, thank you so much to Ifi-Audio for sending me a black edition to review for free! Really awesome of them to involve the audio community to such a degree. I will keep this review...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
post your grado mods.... - Page 323post #4831 of 75464/5/14 at 3:56pm...one piece wood cups are the way to go...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4832 of 75464/5/14 at 3:57pmpost #4833 of 75464/5/14 at 4:04pm
which is the response i expected. i'll look into picking up some wood cups...any ideas for good cups with good price/performance? i know there are some links on various posts and i'll look through those again. thanks...post #4834 of 75464/5/14 at 4:41pmQuote:
PM 7keys or fleasbabypost #4835 of 75464/7/14 at 7:31amOn the road to "A More Comfortable Grado"...will fit into a Beyer headband and take Beyer pads. The body is solid walnut:
At the moment the bass in brain-meltingly deep and heavy..need to find a way to tame it...any suggestions?
I know Smeggy's Thunderpants and the MS1000 mod have vent holes drilled in them...thinking that might be the answer...something small next to the cable hole.post #4836 of 75464/7/14 at 8:09am
Maybe the wood baffle ear-side needs some extra material directly on the wood.
There's plenty of surface area that you can cover with a damping material - all I can say is try to find one that tames bass.post #4837 of 75464/7/14 at 8:12ampost #4838 of 75464/7/14 at 8:22amQuote:
Thanks Greq! So something like adhesive felt?post #4839 of 75464/7/14 at 9:11am
I wouldn't put anything adhesive directly onto wood - unless it's got a very good protective varnish.
But yeah, I would try out something like that, felt, denim, gauze, make-up pads, even combinations of these materials might be able to tune the bass to your liking.
But this is all theory from limited experience.post #4840 of 75464/7/14 at 9:15amThanks Greq...these are actually prototypes, so I am not too worried about damaging the wood. Jim and I are still trying to nail down the design. He has also said he can hollow them out a little to see what that does...
I might pursue your suggestions before going crazy drilling vent holes or hollowing them...post #4841 of 75464/7/14 at 9:24am
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.post #4842 of 75464/7/14 at 9:54amQuote:Originally Posted by stratocaster
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.
Not entirely true - I created some new pads for my grado using a lighter more open-cell (higher permeability) foam, which increased bass slightly.
Might be worth trying to find a thin sheet of dense foam as a damping material?post #4843 of 75464/7/14 at 10:01am
Just apply the electric tape or sock mod on the pads and you will hear what a little less permeability of the pad material will do. It will significantly increase the lower frequencies.post #4844 of 75464/7/14 at 10:03am
...am actually doing that right now (not the tape or sock mod, trying foam). Found a thin, dense foamed floormat that was scrap and am trying a disc of it over the drivers. It helps, but I might need to punch holes in it to allow some better airflow.
Edited by fleasbaby - 4/7/14 at 10:10ampost #4845 of 75464/7/14 at 1:23pmQuote:
I'm aware of these mods, but my point is that you can't always expect the sound to change exactly as you think based on past experiences when applied to something new/different.
Which is exactly what happened with my DIY earpad.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › New IEM for a cable breaker. 55 seconds ago
- › FS: Hifiman Edition X v2 - Price shipped! (Europe / World) 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 3 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Q & A 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 3 minutes ago
- › New Matrix Audio X-Server info (and a bit about the X-Sabre 2 as well) 4 minutes ago
- › Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon" 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 4 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 5 minutes ago
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by bapspidoff
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear