- 2,619 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
Preamble: Superlux – the Chinese/Taiwanese company really doesn’t need any further instruction for anyone who is at least just a little into audio and headphones. Being in the...
post your grado mods.... - Page 323post #4831 of 73654/5/14 at 3:56pm...one piece wood cups are the way to go...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4832 of 73654/5/14 at 3:57pmpost #4833 of 73654/5/14 at 4:04pm
which is the response i expected. i'll look into picking up some wood cups...any ideas for good cups with good price/performance? i know there are some links on various posts and i'll look through those again. thanks...post #4834 of 73654/5/14 at 4:41pmQuote:
PM 7keys or fleasbabypost #4835 of 73654/7/14 at 7:31amOn the road to "A More Comfortable Grado"...will fit into a Beyer headband and take Beyer pads. The body is solid walnut:
At the moment the bass in brain-meltingly deep and heavy..need to find a way to tame it...any suggestions?
I know Smeggy's Thunderpants and the MS1000 mod have vent holes drilled in them...thinking that might be the answer...something small next to the cable hole.post #4836 of 73654/7/14 at 8:09am
Maybe the wood baffle ear-side needs some extra material directly on the wood.
There's plenty of surface area that you can cover with a damping material - all I can say is try to find one that tames bass.post #4837 of 73654/7/14 at 8:12ampost #4838 of 73654/7/14 at 8:22amQuote:
Thanks Greq! So something like adhesive felt?post #4839 of 73654/7/14 at 9:11am
I wouldn't put anything adhesive directly onto wood - unless it's got a very good protective varnish.
But yeah, I would try out something like that, felt, denim, gauze, make-up pads, even combinations of these materials might be able to tune the bass to your liking.
But this is all theory from limited experience.post #4840 of 73654/7/14 at 9:15amThanks Greq...these are actually prototypes, so I am not too worried about damaging the wood. Jim and I are still trying to nail down the design. He has also said he can hollow them out a little to see what that does...
I might pursue your suggestions before going crazy drilling vent holes or hollowing them...post #4841 of 73654/7/14 at 9:24am
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.post #4842 of 73654/7/14 at 9:54amQuote:Originally Posted by stratocaster
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.
Not entirely true - I created some new pads for my grado using a lighter more open-cell (higher permeability) foam, which increased bass slightly.
Might be worth trying to find a thin sheet of dense foam as a damping material?post #4843 of 73654/7/14 at 10:01am
Just apply the electric tape or sock mod on the pads and you will hear what a little less permeability of the pad material will do. It will significantly increase the lower frequencies.post #4844 of 73654/7/14 at 10:03am
...am actually doing that right now (not the tape or sock mod, trying foam). Found a thin, dense foamed floormat that was scrap and am trying a disc of it over the drivers. It helps, but I might need to punch holes in it to allow some better airflow.
Edited by fleasbaby - 4/7/14 at 10:10ampost #4845 of 73654/7/14 at 1:23pmQuote:
I'm aware of these mods, but my point is that you can't always expect the sound to change exactly as you think based on past experiences when applied to something new/different.
Which is exactly what happened with my DIY earpad.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › The Stax Thread III 7 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › Samsung Note 7 - just around the corner , audiophile phone? 1 minute ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 1 minute ago
- › Ready to move on from HE400S 4 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 4 minutes ago
- › Bottlehead Crack with Speedball 5 minutes ago
- › Concerns about FiiO E10k USB DAC with my ATH M50x 6 minutes ago
- › FS: Lawton Fostex Tune-Up Kit for Fostex 8 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 9 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...