- 2,578 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
post your grado mods.... - Page 323post #4831 of 72594/5/14 at 3:56pm...one piece wood cups are the way to go...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4832 of 72594/5/14 at 3:57pmpost #4833 of 72594/5/14 at 4:04pm
which is the response i expected. i'll look into picking up some wood cups...any ideas for good cups with good price/performance? i know there are some links on various posts and i'll look through those again. thanks...post #4834 of 72594/5/14 at 4:41pmQuote:
PM 7keys or fleasbabypost #4835 of 72594/7/14 at 7:31amOn the road to "A More Comfortable Grado"...will fit into a Beyer headband and take Beyer pads. The body is solid walnut:
At the moment the bass in brain-meltingly deep and heavy..need to find a way to tame it...any suggestions?
I know Smeggy's Thunderpants and the MS1000 mod have vent holes drilled in them...thinking that might be the answer...something small next to the cable hole.post #4836 of 72594/7/14 at 8:09am
Maybe the wood baffle ear-side needs some extra material directly on the wood.
There's plenty of surface area that you can cover with a damping material - all I can say is try to find one that tames bass.post #4837 of 72594/7/14 at 8:12ampost #4838 of 72594/7/14 at 8:22amQuote:
Thanks Greq! So something like adhesive felt?post #4839 of 72594/7/14 at 9:11am
I wouldn't put anything adhesive directly onto wood - unless it's got a very good protective varnish.
But yeah, I would try out something like that, felt, denim, gauze, make-up pads, even combinations of these materials might be able to tune the bass to your liking.
But this is all theory from limited experience.post #4840 of 72594/7/14 at 9:15amThanks Greq...these are actually prototypes, so I am not too worried about damaging the wood. Jim and I are still trying to nail down the design. He has also said he can hollow them out a little to see what that does...
I might pursue your suggestions before going crazy drilling vent holes or hollowing them...post #4841 of 72594/7/14 at 9:24am
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.post #4842 of 72594/7/14 at 9:54amQuote:Originally Posted by stratocaster
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.
Not entirely true - I created some new pads for my grado using a lighter more open-cell (higher permeability) foam, which increased bass slightly.
Might be worth trying to find a thin sheet of dense foam as a damping material?post #4843 of 72594/7/14 at 10:01am
Just apply the electric tape or sock mod on the pads and you will hear what a little less permeability of the pad material will do. It will significantly increase the lower frequencies.post #4844 of 72594/7/14 at 10:03am
...am actually doing that right now (not the tape or sock mod, trying foam). Found a thin, dense foamed floormat that was scrap and am trying a disc of it over the drivers. It helps, but I might need to punch holes in it to allow some better airflow.
Edited by fleasbaby - 4/7/14 at 10:10ampost #4845 of 72594/7/14 at 1:23pmQuote:
I'm aware of these mods, but my point is that you can't always expect the sound to change exactly as you think based on past experiences when applied to something new/different.
Which is exactly what happened with my DIY earpad.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 1 minute ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 2 minutes ago
- › The Journey 2 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 4 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Seattle Red Hook Meet July 30, 2016 7 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...