or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 319

post #4771 of 7549

Finished my SR60i mods. I modeled and 3D printed some cups, got some bowl pads and did a recable with silver wire. I switched the end to 1/4" and sleeved it in navy paracord. I may add silver mesh grills and 3D print something to cover up the Y split.

post #4772 of 7549

Diggin on the yellow my friend. Very impressive! What kind of Y split are we talking here?

post #4773 of 7549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Diggin on the yellow my friend. Very impressive! What kind of Y split are we talking here?

Probably just a two piece (top and bottom) oval that I'll glue together, in matching yellow.

post #4774 of 7549

how does the plastic made it sound? 

post #4775 of 7549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvins View Post
 

how does the plastic made it sound? 


No noticeable difference, but I like to think the completely open back is an improvement.

post #4776 of 7549

Finally got around to finishing the cable for my Grado removable cable mod:

 

post #4777 of 7549
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

Finally got around to finishing the cable for my Grado removable cable mod:

 

Sweet. It's a bit fugly, but how does it sound?

post #4778 of 7549

It sounds like a grado sr325i, it's just a new cable...

post #4779 of 7549

care to be more specific? i'm about to be getting a 325i. Does anyone here have any Magnums? if so, or if anyones heard both, can they compare and contrast the sounds? thanks!

post #4780 of 7549

Not sure the above post is for me but: I can't really be more specific about how a cable sounds - a cable is a cable, it has no noticeable difference on the sound itself in my opinion. I recabled the 325is because the original cable broke and I needed a simpler, sturdier solution.

 

As for the 325is, they sound great, a quick search on head-fi will bring up hundreds of reviews with more specific vocabulary if that's what you're looking for - I try to stay away from describing sound signature which varies from ear to ear and system to system.

post #4781 of 7549
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

Not sure the above post is for me but: I can't really be more specific about how a cable sounds - a cable is a cable, it has no noticeable difference on the sound itself in my opinion. I recabled the 325is because the original cable broke and I needed a simpler, sturdier solution.

 

As for the 325is, they sound great, a quick search on head-fi will bring up hundreds of reviews with more specific vocabulary if that's what you're looking for - I try to stay away from describing sound signature which varies from ear to ear and system to system.

I feel like a complete idiot. I wasn't aware that the SR325is was gold, I though they were all silver. When I made that post I thought you had made some metal cups yourself, but I never really connected A to B to C.

post #4782 of 7549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickGlasses View Post
 

I feel like a complete idiot. I wasn't aware that the SR325is was gold, I though they were all silver. When I made that post I thought you had made some metal cups yourself, but I never really connected A to B to C.

 

There are (as far as I know) 4 versions of the SR325.

 

The very first version had smaller silver cups (bad quality pic but you can tell the difference):

 

Then came the newer SR325i version in silver:

 

After which came what I remember (not 100% sure) to be an anniversary edition, which is exactly the same as the above but with gold cups:

 

And at last, what seems to be another "new" color, with yet the same design as the two above:

 

So nope, all I did was put 3.5mm jack inputs into the gold cups, and build a removable cable.

post #4783 of 7549

There are 5 versions, there was old black sr325 too.

What cable did you use?

post #4784 of 7549

Everyone is so helpful... I love you guys, man... :')

post #4785 of 7549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauliki View Post
 

There are 5 versions, there was old black sr325 too.

What cable did you use?

 

That's right I forgot all about the black ones, non-i version!

 

I used Canare Starquad for the cable. I was originally going to use Cardas cable but since it was my first cable and I had some Canare I thought I would "test things out" first with the Canare. Since I'm pretty happy with the results I think I'll just stick to it, I'll probably use the Cardas to recable my MDR-SA5000 when I'm motivated or when the crappy stock cable breaks.


Edited by elmoe - 3/7/14 at 3:15am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....