- 1,304 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
post your grado mods.... - Page 317post #4741 of 51772/23/14 at 7:35amCheck out the MS1000 thread. Your build matches it rather closely (recessed cups, etc). You might be missing some vent holes in the cups...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4742 of 51772/23/14 at 9:24ampost #4743 of 51772/23/14 at 9:41ampost #4744 of 51772/23/14 at 9:50amQuote:Originally Posted by Madskaman
I'm just about done with my sr80i project. I finished the cocobolo cups earlier this week, and I'm dialing in the sound now. I feel it's a little too bright still. Any suggestions on how to dampen this? I'm thinking of adding some felt to inside of the cups, behind the drivers, or possibly a light screen in front of the drivers (I removed the factory one). The drivers are liberated and recessed in the cups, with felt on the walls in front, leading to jumbo pads. Suggestions are much appreciated.
Maybe the use of a tube headphone amp?post #4745 of 51772/23/14 at 11:34ampost #4746 of 51772/23/14 at 9:15pmQuote:post #4747 of 51772/24/14 at 11:30am
i read over the ms1000 thread and decided to add another layer of felt to the inside of the recessed areas as well as a cloth in front of the drivers. really made the difference. i'm really happy with the results. i'm going to make another set of cups, without the recess, and see how that works out with another set of sr80i drivers. thank you for the advice.post #4748 of 51772/24/14 at 2:08pm
Is there any easy way to liberate the drivers in the Px100 ii's? All I've done so far is remove the headband. I'm not really sure how to remove the plastic housing that surrounds the drivers themselves
EDIT: Nevermind! A small amount of prying on the back and they came right off. Not even a need for heat!
Edited by nbriles2000 - 2/24/14 at 2:17pmpost #4749 of 51772/25/14 at 2:42pmSo I finished wiring the drivers and putting them in their cups this morning and they sound pretty fantastic for slower music or acoustic guitar and piano and more mellow stuff. When listening to metal they seem to be pretty slow and flabby sounding though. I'm hoping some burn in time will clear this up pretty quickly though! Also, using g cush pads so maybe l pads or something with a little less room would help. Anybody else experience similar results from the Px100-ii? I'm also going to go buy some dynamat for the magnets in hopes that that will helppost #4750 of 51772/26/14 at 6:37amHeadphones for Jim . He got himself a pair of SR80i and within a week he asked me to woody them for him with a pair of cups he had made:
You can't see it, but they have pretty awesome cable courtesy of fellow head-fier wje.
Edited by fleasbaby - 2/26/14 at 7:03ampost #4751 of 51772/27/14 at 4:29am
I cannibalized a cheap eBay headphone for the headband (frame and wire hanger), then glued up some fabric as a replacement for my Grado SR80
Also took the opportunity to mod the cables to single sided, as well as recolour the grilles.
Edited by teikjoon - 2/27/14 at 4:33ampost #4752 of 51772/27/14 at 5:26amQuote:
Ha, Tim Burton would be proud.post #4753 of 51772/27/14 at 5:29amQuote:
Wow, love that headband!post #4754 of 51772/27/14 at 8:36amQuote:
Those are awesome. I love the wood.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Seattle Head-Fi - Portable Club 3 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 12 seconds ago
- › Emotiva A-100 - Great amp for HE-500 - ship to USA only 59 seconds ago
- › Help!!!!! Icon Audio mkII Hp8 vs Woo Audio WA6 1 minute ago
- › USB DAC/Amp for Sennheiser HD600 2 minutes ago
- › Bottlehead Crack interference 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox is coming very soon to iBasso DX90 3 minutes ago
- › LG G3 as a portable source? 4 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Used-Fi* Portable Rig's aka the "Look what I... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)