Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/21/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
post your grado mods.... - Page 309
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4622 of 75332/1/14 at 8:27amQuote:Originally Posted by JoeDoe
For those of who who've tried using differently-shaped cups with the same drivers, can you comment on how the sound changes with cup shape or size?
I'm particularly interested in any experiences with cups shaped like the the GS1000's vs those of the RS line.
I haven't tried the same wood and drivers in the two different shapes at the same time...might be something to look at. I have Turbulent X in a pair of Cabillas' GS1000 style cups, and a pair of SR80 pinks in some African Blackwoods cut kind-of like the RS1 (I am being rather liberal there as well). It feels like comparing apples and oranges.
My personal thoughts (and YMMV) are that the differences are extremely minimal. This might change if I get a "same driver model-same wood type" side-by-side going.
With the Cabillas cups, I have had two separate pairs in the same style, and two separate sets of Turbulent drivers in them. One pair of the cups required foam mounting strips for the drivers, the others didn't. It might have been driver variances, it might have been something to do with the wood (even though both were mahogany, the second pair are paler), but the foam mount provided a deeper, richer sound. The press-fit mount sounded thinner, more neutral.
What am I waffling on about the foam vs press-fit for? I have found it, and driver level (I have been through the SR60, SR60i, SR80 pink, SR225i, SR225 pink, SR325i and Turbulent X) the be the biggest differentiators. Wood type is also a prominent player. I am not too sure about cup shape yet though...need more time and experience :)post #4623 of 75332/1/14 at 9:24ampost #4624 of 75332/1/14 at 11:38am
The foam im using is not nearly as delicate as the Grado foam it replaced and is quite elastic. I've taken them off and put them back on a few times with no problems, and I don't think there will be any.
I did the quarter mod on the 4 year old original pads and they ripped and so can't compare anymore.To me they sound clearer than before.
I wonder if doing this dampens the plastic diaphragm influence and so would be a useful mod for ALL grados? :) With say a thin foam section. Also it could absorb the indirect internally reflected waves.
Who knows? Im pretty happy anyway.post #4625 of 75332/1/14 at 11:57am
Just wanted to let the members who were considering the Vibro Labs cups on eBay about my second order that came in last week.
1 for 2. 1 pair looked great and I've been sanding, shaping, and staining since Wednesday. The second pair was okay but perhaps had a sawing error and had a chunk taken out of one of the lips. Try to shape it myself until it was no longer usable. Ended up trashing that pair.
So even though I only got half of my order working, that's still a decent pair of high quality mahogany cups for $60 which is cheaper than most.
Will post pictures this evening.post #4626 of 75332/1/14 at 12:02pmpost #4627 of 75332/1/14 at 12:12pmpost #4628 of 75332/1/14 at 12:29pmQuote:
My earpads just have one big hole the size of the entire baffle; so much simpler, but alas nowhere near as cool as yours!post #4629 of 75332/1/14 at 2:58pmpost #4630 of 75332/1/14 at 7:04pmQuote:
That's funny. I haven't quarter-modded for a similar reason. My ears are more towards the front of the pad and not precisely at the same place on each pad, so a quarter mod would be the same on the pads but not where they fit on my ears. But if I quarter mod to fit my ears, the holes will be at different places on the pads. *Too much pressure.*post #4631 of 75332/1/14 at 8:09pmpost #4632 of 75332/1/14 at 8:54pmQuote:
Good job, and, dont you ever say to ignore tommy lee jones!post #4633 of 75332/2/14 at 7:54ampost #4634 of 75332/2/14 at 7:57am
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › Have you heard all 3? Modi2 MB | Gungnir MB | YGGDRASIL 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 7 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 7 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions... 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear