Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 12/30/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
At the time this review was written, the 1More MK802 bluetooth headphone was listed for sale on 1More’s and Amazon’s website. Here are links for more information and...
I first had the chance to audition these at the Wikia meet in San Francisco, taking them around and trying them in different rigs. For $4000, they had a lot to live up to. While on the...
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
post your grado mods.... - Page 309
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4622 of 76302/1/14 at 8:27amQuote:Originally Posted by JoeDoe
For those of who who've tried using differently-shaped cups with the same drivers, can you comment on how the sound changes with cup shape or size?
I'm particularly interested in any experiences with cups shaped like the the GS1000's vs those of the RS line.
I haven't tried the same wood and drivers in the two different shapes at the same time...might be something to look at. I have Turbulent X in a pair of Cabillas' GS1000 style cups, and a pair of SR80 pinks in some African Blackwoods cut kind-of like the RS1 (I am being rather liberal there as well). It feels like comparing apples and oranges.
My personal thoughts (and YMMV) are that the differences are extremely minimal. This might change if I get a "same driver model-same wood type" side-by-side going.
With the Cabillas cups, I have had two separate pairs in the same style, and two separate sets of Turbulent drivers in them. One pair of the cups required foam mounting strips for the drivers, the others didn't. It might have been driver variances, it might have been something to do with the wood (even though both were mahogany, the second pair are paler), but the foam mount provided a deeper, richer sound. The press-fit mount sounded thinner, more neutral.
What am I waffling on about the foam vs press-fit for? I have found it, and driver level (I have been through the SR60, SR60i, SR80 pink, SR225i, SR225 pink, SR325i and Turbulent X) the be the biggest differentiators. Wood type is also a prominent player. I am not too sure about cup shape yet though...need more time and experience :)post #4623 of 76302/1/14 at 9:24ampost #4624 of 76302/1/14 at 11:38am
The foam im using is not nearly as delicate as the Grado foam it replaced and is quite elastic. I've taken them off and put them back on a few times with no problems, and I don't think there will be any.
I did the quarter mod on the 4 year old original pads and they ripped and so can't compare anymore.To me they sound clearer than before.
I wonder if doing this dampens the plastic diaphragm influence and so would be a useful mod for ALL grados? :) With say a thin foam section. Also it could absorb the indirect internally reflected waves.
Who knows? Im pretty happy anyway.post #4625 of 76302/1/14 at 11:57am
Just wanted to let the members who were considering the Vibro Labs cups on eBay about my second order that came in last week.
1 for 2. 1 pair looked great and I've been sanding, shaping, and staining since Wednesday. The second pair was okay but perhaps had a sawing error and had a chunk taken out of one of the lips. Try to shape it myself until it was no longer usable. Ended up trashing that pair.
So even though I only got half of my order working, that's still a decent pair of high quality mahogany cups for $60 which is cheaper than most.
Will post pictures this evening.post #4626 of 76302/1/14 at 12:02pm
As cool as that is, my mild OCD would be constantly rotating the pad to make sure the little holes line up with those on the bafflepost #4627 of 76302/1/14 at 12:12pmpost #4628 of 76302/1/14 at 12:29pmQuote:
My earpads just have one big hole the size of the entire baffle; so much simpler, but alas nowhere near as cool as yours!post #4629 of 76302/1/14 at 2:58pmpost #4630 of 76302/1/14 at 7:04pmQuote:
That's funny. I haven't quarter-modded for a similar reason. My ears are more towards the front of the pad and not precisely at the same place on each pad, so a quarter mod would be the same on the pads but not where they fit on my ears. But if I quarter mod to fit my ears, the holes will be at different places on the pads. *Too much pressure.*post #4631 of 76302/1/14 at 8:09pmpost #4632 of 76302/1/14 at 8:54pmQuote:
Good job, and, dont you ever say to ignore tommy lee jones!post #4633 of 76302/2/14 at 7:54ampost #4634 of 76302/2/14 at 7:57am
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › [Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone? 26 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New iem recomendation 6 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 7 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 8 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 8 minutes ago
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear