Nicely done :)...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Campfire Audio Andromeda: Crown jewel of the Campfire fleet Introduction First, a disclaimer: I purchased the Andromeda ($1099USD) with my own money after doing my own research and thus...
Bluedio kindly sent me their 8-driver UFO bluetooth headphones in red for review - and boy I’m glad they did. Packaging Like all of their higher priced bluetooth models, the UFO’s come...
First of all, I would like to thank Shozy for the review sample of Shozy Zero! Website: http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ I believe what makes Shozy Zero unique is the wooden...
So I am fairly new to the audio world. The Monoprice 8323 was my second purchase on starting to get into headphones (after Superlux HD681 EVOs). I have had these headphones for about 6 months...
LEAR LHF-AE1d Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to LEAR for the sample. Brief: All of da pretty and they sound just as good too! Price: HK$1488 or atm £146 or...
post your grado mods.... - Page 305post #4561 of 73511/11/14 at 3:10pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4562 of 73511/11/14 at 3:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
I've been working on tweaking a pair of Padauk cups for a bit of a different appearance. My goal was to get a finish applied that would take the wood tone a bit further away from the standard reddish / orangeish finish. I sanded out the cups to remove the wax that had been applied for the purpose of finishing up the cups after cutting them on a lathe. With this pair of cups, I actually used about 5 coats of a dark Mission stain that came in the form of the Polyshades brand which included a satin poly mixed into the same can. Between coats, I would take down the finish to smooth out any imperfections created by applying the finish.
I feel that I was able to achieve what I set out to do as my goal. I have a pair of cups that is quite visually pleasing to me.post #4563 of 73511/11/14 at 6:57pmpost #4564 of 73511/14/14 at 9:22pmpost #4565 of 73511/14/14 at 9:44pmQuote:Those look great. How did you make them?
Also I should be getting a beta stage print from the 3D printer tomorrow! Expect some bright red plastic cups amongst the wood and aluminum!
Edited by Transformatron - 1/14/14 at 9:45pmpost #4566 of 73511/15/14 at 12:28pmI source the appropriet size of 1/4" wall pipe and cut it to 1/4" rings with a 14" metal saw. That's the hard part, keeping the entire cut straight without it coming out angled, easier with longer sections of pipe.
Next I setup the drill press table to drill the rod hole at the same angle as grado has theirs. Then its just a mattter of lining up cup mounting pin holes and drilling them straight through, also on the press, and about two hours of progressive sanding from 100 to 800 grit to remove imperfections and finishing with aluminum mag polishing compound.
Cup pins are 1/8 rod material of choice cut so that 1/8" peptides out the size of the ring once installed.
I can get a pair done a day, but I did three sets in 8 days using all of my spare time.post #4567 of 73511/15/14 at 6:04pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Nice work!post #4568 of 73511/16/14 at 8:50am
Joining the club with some SR60 (not SR60i) I got off ebay. Recabled with a German Maestro cable until I get some better cable (soon), 4 vents open on the back of the driver, sanded the paint off the lettering, dynamat on the back of the driver, quarter modded, white fabric covering the grill off and i took the back grills off, but didn't have any mesh to replace it with (soon as well) so I used some old thin PX100 pads, cut down to size.post #4569 of 73511/16/14 at 9:38ampost #4570 of 73511/16/14 at 9:40ampost #4571 of 73511/16/14 at 10:19amQuote:
this my first atempt making black Ebony cups design the inner cup.post #4572 of 73511/16/14 at 10:44ampost #4573 of 73511/16/14 at 10:55amQuote:
this group buy make me tired.. making 20 set cup in 10 days. and this some finished cup :D
Edited by kopral 21 - 1/16/14 at 10:57ampost #4574 of 73511/16/14 at 11:06ampost #4575 of 73511/16/14 at 11:36amQuote:
a good decision - these two small holes must be open so that the membrane can move, the holes vent the inner part with the coil.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations 28 seconds ago
- › RMAF 2016? 49 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line... 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by k4rstar
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Peddler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by earfonia
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by 93EXCivic
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d hybrid fit earphones by mark2410
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › EasGear Morul U5 Waterproof Wireless Earbuds by James Mash
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...