Nicely done :)...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
you know the original price of this one, a rock solid $100. can you feel it ? yees, there's a bad review is coming... let's take a look at what brainwavz says for it's own product, one thing comes...
FOREWARD: as a relatively new user to head-fi, i dont expect many of you to take my review seriously. however, although i'm new to POSTING on this site, i've been an audiophile and a lurker of this...
Color! Because I feel in the mood for it. No, not really, this is just for the comparison. So, Red, & Green? Red - Not For Me. Green - Solid, & something I personally like. Comparison is...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank LH Labs for providing me with a review sample of GeekOut in exchange for my honest opinion. I thought I was done with my round of portable USB...
I have owned these headphones for about a week. The sounds quality is great but I'm not sure if I can wear these longer than 1 hour. My ears get way too warm. Would love a bit more airflow.
post your grado mods.... - Page 305post #4561 of 62311/11/14 at 3:10pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4562 of 62311/11/14 at 3:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
I've been working on tweaking a pair of Padauk cups for a bit of a different appearance. My goal was to get a finish applied that would take the wood tone a bit further away from the standard reddish / orangeish finish. I sanded out the cups to remove the wax that had been applied for the purpose of finishing up the cups after cutting them on a lathe. With this pair of cups, I actually used about 5 coats of a dark Mission stain that came in the form of the Polyshades brand which included a satin poly mixed into the same can. Between coats, I would take down the finish to smooth out any imperfections created by applying the finish.
I feel that I was able to achieve what I set out to do as my goal. I have a pair of cups that is quite visually pleasing to me.post #4563 of 62311/11/14 at 6:57pmpost #4564 of 62311/14/14 at 9:22pmpost #4565 of 62311/14/14 at 9:44pmQuote:Those look great. How did you make them?
Also I should be getting a beta stage print from the 3D printer tomorrow! Expect some bright red plastic cups amongst the wood and aluminum!
Edited by Transformatron - 1/14/14 at 9:45pmpost #4566 of 62311/15/14 at 12:28pmI source the appropriet size of 1/4" wall pipe and cut it to 1/4" rings with a 14" metal saw. That's the hard part, keeping the entire cut straight without it coming out angled, easier with longer sections of pipe.
Next I setup the drill press table to drill the rod hole at the same angle as grado has theirs. Then its just a mattter of lining up cup mounting pin holes and drilling them straight through, also on the press, and about two hours of progressive sanding from 100 to 800 grit to remove imperfections and finishing with aluminum mag polishing compound.
Cup pins are 1/8 rod material of choice cut so that 1/8" peptides out the size of the ring once installed.
I can get a pair done a day, but I did three sets in 8 days using all of my spare time.post #4567 of 62311/15/14 at 6:04pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Nice work!post #4568 of 62311/16/14 at 8:50am
Joining the club with some SR60 (not SR60i) I got off ebay. Recabled with a German Maestro cable until I get some better cable (soon), 4 vents open on the back of the driver, sanded the paint off the lettering, dynamat on the back of the driver, quarter modded, white fabric covering the grill off and i took the back grills off, but didn't have any mesh to replace it with (soon as well) so I used some old thin PX100 pads, cut down to size.post #4569 of 62311/16/14 at 9:38ampost #4570 of 62311/16/14 at 9:40ampost #4571 of 62311/16/14 at 10:19amQuote:
this my first atempt making black Ebony cups design the inner cup.post #4572 of 62311/16/14 at 10:44ampost #4573 of 62311/16/14 at 10:55amQuote:
this group buy make me tired.. making 20 set cup in 10 days. and this some finished cup :D
Edited by kopral 21 - 1/16/14 at 10:57ampost #4574 of 62311/16/14 at 11:06am
I uncovered the holes on the driver that were covered in the picture above. After looking at other peoples which have the holes uncovered.post #4575 of 62311/16/14 at 11:36amQuote:
a good decision - these two small holes must be open so that the membrane can move, the holes vent the inner part with the coil.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 8 seconds ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 55 seconds ago
- › HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity – it’s... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Bottlehead Crack Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › HD800 vs HE1000/MHP1000 impressions. Suprises all around! 2 minutes ago
- › Help choosing headphone amp 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › SIBILANCE - List the headphones you have sold because of sibilance 4 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Geek Out 450 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by motion2082
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by kite7
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheJniac
- › AKG K 550 by ahnvx
- › SKULLCANDY SLYR Circumaural Headset by ChromiumCola
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2