Nicely done :)...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 8/24/15
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I will mainly be comparing to A65. Build of these is excellent, but not quite as nice as A65 due to the half plastic housing. It is of very high quality though, it shouldn't affect...
Just a short review, as there is really not a lot to say, which is a good thing, nothing to complain about with these. Build is excellent, they feel supremely solid, I mean even 1k+ iems don't...
INTRODUCTION The Encore RockMaster IE is a new crowd-funded IEM from SonicUnity, and new audio company formed by Rick Hopkins. Rick's a music industry veteran who's helped with concert design for...
I'll do my best to keep this review nice and short, and hit all the key points. Sections: -Overview about myself (to give background on music preferences, previously owned IEMs,...
Introduction Everyone here and their mothers have heard of the HD600/650. After over 10+ years, the HD600 series still remains a timeless classic, withstanding the test of time with is...
post your grado mods.... - Page 305post #4561 of 65921/11/14 at 3:10pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4562 of 65921/11/14 at 3:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
I've been working on tweaking a pair of Padauk cups for a bit of a different appearance. My goal was to get a finish applied that would take the wood tone a bit further away from the standard reddish / orangeish finish. I sanded out the cups to remove the wax that had been applied for the purpose of finishing up the cups after cutting them on a lathe. With this pair of cups, I actually used about 5 coats of a dark Mission stain that came in the form of the Polyshades brand which included a satin poly mixed into the same can. Between coats, I would take down the finish to smooth out any imperfections created by applying the finish.
I feel that I was able to achieve what I set out to do as my goal. I have a pair of cups that is quite visually pleasing to me.post #4563 of 65921/11/14 at 6:57pmpost #4564 of 65921/14/14 at 9:22pmpost #4565 of 65921/14/14 at 9:44pmQuote:Those look great. How did you make them?
Also I should be getting a beta stage print from the 3D printer tomorrow! Expect some bright red plastic cups amongst the wood and aluminum!
Edited by Transformatron - 1/14/14 at 9:45pmpost #4566 of 65921/15/14 at 12:28pmI source the appropriet size of 1/4" wall pipe and cut it to 1/4" rings with a 14" metal saw. That's the hard part, keeping the entire cut straight without it coming out angled, easier with longer sections of pipe.
Next I setup the drill press table to drill the rod hole at the same angle as grado has theirs. Then its just a mattter of lining up cup mounting pin holes and drilling them straight through, also on the press, and about two hours of progressive sanding from 100 to 800 grit to remove imperfections and finishing with aluminum mag polishing compound.
Cup pins are 1/8 rod material of choice cut so that 1/8" peptides out the size of the ring once installed.
I can get a pair done a day, but I did three sets in 8 days using all of my spare time.post #4567 of 65921/15/14 at 6:04pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Nice work!post #4568 of 65921/16/14 at 8:50am
Joining the club with some SR60 (not SR60i) I got off ebay. Recabled with a German Maestro cable until I get some better cable (soon), 4 vents open on the back of the driver, sanded the paint off the lettering, dynamat on the back of the driver, quarter modded, white fabric covering the grill off and i took the back grills off, but didn't have any mesh to replace it with (soon as well) so I used some old thin PX100 pads, cut down to size.post #4569 of 65921/16/14 at 9:38ampost #4570 of 65921/16/14 at 9:40ampost #4571 of 65921/16/14 at 10:19amQuote:
this my first atempt making black Ebony cups design the inner cup.post #4572 of 65921/16/14 at 10:44ampost #4573 of 65921/16/14 at 10:55amQuote:
this group buy make me tired.. making 20 set cup in 10 days. and this some finished cup :D
Edited by kopral 21 - 1/16/14 at 10:57ampost #4574 of 65921/16/14 at 11:06am
I uncovered the holes on the driver that were covered in the picture above. After looking at other peoples which have the holes uncovered.post #4575 of 65921/16/14 at 11:36amQuote:
a good decision - these two small holes must be open so that the membrane can move, the holes vent the inner part with the coil.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Sony DR-Z6 (Vintage) 1 minute ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.3 - July 2, 2015 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 8 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 9 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 10 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 12 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 13 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › Encore RockMaster IE by nmatheis
- › Noble 3 by WhatToChoose
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by dazzerfong
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by hakushondaimao
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by goodyfresh
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by lin0003
- › Encore RockMaster OE by Armaegis
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2