Nicely done :)...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/21/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
post your grado mods.... - Page 305post #4561 of 74731/11/14 at 3:10pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4562 of 74731/11/14 at 3:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
I've been working on tweaking a pair of Padauk cups for a bit of a different appearance. My goal was to get a finish applied that would take the wood tone a bit further away from the standard reddish / orangeish finish. I sanded out the cups to remove the wax that had been applied for the purpose of finishing up the cups after cutting them on a lathe. With this pair of cups, I actually used about 5 coats of a dark Mission stain that came in the form of the Polyshades brand which included a satin poly mixed into the same can. Between coats, I would take down the finish to smooth out any imperfections created by applying the finish.
I feel that I was able to achieve what I set out to do as my goal. I have a pair of cups that is quite visually pleasing to me.post #4563 of 74731/11/14 at 6:57pmpost #4564 of 74731/14/14 at 9:22pmpost #4565 of 74731/14/14 at 9:44pmQuote:Those look great. How did you make them?
Also I should be getting a beta stage print from the 3D printer tomorrow! Expect some bright red plastic cups amongst the wood and aluminum!
Edited by Transformatron - 1/14/14 at 9:45pmpost #4566 of 74731/15/14 at 12:28pmI source the appropriet size of 1/4" wall pipe and cut it to 1/4" rings with a 14" metal saw. That's the hard part, keeping the entire cut straight without it coming out angled, easier with longer sections of pipe.
Next I setup the drill press table to drill the rod hole at the same angle as grado has theirs. Then its just a mattter of lining up cup mounting pin holes and drilling them straight through, also on the press, and about two hours of progressive sanding from 100 to 800 grit to remove imperfections and finishing with aluminum mag polishing compound.
Cup pins are 1/8 rod material of choice cut so that 1/8" peptides out the size of the ring once installed.
I can get a pair done a day, but I did three sets in 8 days using all of my spare time.post #4567 of 74731/15/14 at 6:04pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Nice work!post #4568 of 74731/16/14 at 8:50am
Joining the club with some SR60 (not SR60i) I got off ebay. Recabled with a German Maestro cable until I get some better cable (soon), 4 vents open on the back of the driver, sanded the paint off the lettering, dynamat on the back of the driver, quarter modded, white fabric covering the grill off and i took the back grills off, but didn't have any mesh to replace it with (soon as well) so I used some old thin PX100 pads, cut down to size.post #4569 of 74731/16/14 at 9:38ampost #4570 of 74731/16/14 at 9:40ampost #4571 of 74731/16/14 at 10:19amQuote:
this my first atempt making black Ebony cups design the inner cup.post #4572 of 74731/16/14 at 10:44ampost #4573 of 74731/16/14 at 10:55amQuote:
this group buy make me tired.. making 20 set cup in 10 days. and this some finished cup :D
Edited by kopral 21 - 1/16/14 at 10:57ampost #4574 of 74731/16/14 at 11:06ampost #4575 of 74731/16/14 at 11:36amQuote:
a good decision - these two small holes must be open so that the membrane can move, the holes vent the inner part with the coil.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 40 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 1 minute ago
- › Interview with Bowers & Wilkins - An Engineer's Perspective 2 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 Balanced DAC and AMP PHA3 2 minutes ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 3 minutes ago
- › The Super Dolphin 6BA - Not just an aquatic mammal 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...