Nicely done :)...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Disclaimer: I was contacted by a Brainwavz representative to try out a free pair of S5 IEMs under the condition I would write a review for them. I received them in mid July and have sampled them...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
post your grado mods.... - Page 305post #4561 of 52001/11/14 at 3:10pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4562 of 52001/11/14 at 3:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
I've been working on tweaking a pair of Padauk cups for a bit of a different appearance. My goal was to get a finish applied that would take the wood tone a bit further away from the standard reddish / orangeish finish. I sanded out the cups to remove the wax that had been applied for the purpose of finishing up the cups after cutting them on a lathe. With this pair of cups, I actually used about 5 coats of a dark Mission stain that came in the form of the Polyshades brand which included a satin poly mixed into the same can. Between coats, I would take down the finish to smooth out any imperfections created by applying the finish.
I feel that I was able to achieve what I set out to do as my goal. I have a pair of cups that is quite visually pleasing to me.post #4563 of 52001/11/14 at 6:57pmpost #4564 of 52001/14/14 at 9:22pmpost #4565 of 52001/14/14 at 9:44pmQuote:Those look great. How did you make them?
Also I should be getting a beta stage print from the 3D printer tomorrow! Expect some bright red plastic cups amongst the wood and aluminum!
Edited by Transformatron - 1/14/14 at 9:45pmpost #4566 of 52001/15/14 at 12:28pmI source the appropriet size of 1/4" wall pipe and cut it to 1/4" rings with a 14" metal saw. That's the hard part, keeping the entire cut straight without it coming out angled, easier with longer sections of pipe.
Next I setup the drill press table to drill the rod hole at the same angle as grado has theirs. Then its just a mattter of lining up cup mounting pin holes and drilling them straight through, also on the press, and about two hours of progressive sanding from 100 to 800 grit to remove imperfections and finishing with aluminum mag polishing compound.
Cup pins are 1/8 rod material of choice cut so that 1/8" peptides out the size of the ring once installed.
I can get a pair done a day, but I did three sets in 8 days using all of my spare time.post #4567 of 52001/15/14 at 6:04pmQuote:Quote:Quote:
Nice work!post #4568 of 52001/16/14 at 8:50am
Joining the club with some SR60 (not SR60i) I got off ebay. Recabled with a German Maestro cable until I get some better cable (soon), 4 vents open on the back of the driver, sanded the paint off the lettering, dynamat on the back of the driver, quarter modded, white fabric covering the grill off and i took the back grills off, but didn't have any mesh to replace it with (soon as well) so I used some old thin PX100 pads, cut down to size.post #4569 of 52001/16/14 at 9:38ampost #4570 of 52001/16/14 at 9:40ampost #4571 of 52001/16/14 at 10:19amQuote:
this my first atempt making black Ebony cups design the inner cup.post #4572 of 52001/16/14 at 10:44ampost #4573 of 52001/16/14 at 10:55amQuote:
this group buy make me tired.. making 20 set cup in 10 days. and this some finished cup :D
Edited by kopral 21 - 1/16/14 at 10:57ampost #4574 of 52001/16/14 at 11:06am
I uncovered the holes on the driver that were covered in the picture above. After looking at other peoples which have the holes uncovered.post #4575 of 52001/16/14 at 11:36amQuote:
a good decision - these two small holes must be open so that the membrane can move, the holes vent the inner part with the coil.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › ZMF x Vibro Review, Impressions, & Discussion Thread! 18 seconds ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 26 seconds ago
- › Best Over Ear Headphones under 100$ 45 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 52 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 1 minute ago
- › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. 2 minutes ago
- › Aune X6 or a unit like it. 3 minutes ago
- › I'm really sensitive to sibilance and strong treble; should I rule... 4 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by hans030390
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)