Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 4

post #46 of 5341
mjg, how much did it cost for the upgrade to Black Silver? I looked on Larry's website and I thought all I saw was the Black Gold. I'm seriously considering getting this cable upgrade, from what I've read it should sound AMAZING!

Also, hugz, way to go man! That detach mod on your MS-2's is good work, I however fall into the "don't have enough balls to take open my MS-2" category ! I'll happily do it to my 125's though! Question, why did you use stereo plugs? And what kind of plugs and jacks did you use? I'm thinking the small Neutrik mono's might work best for me, but I'm still deciding which jacks to get.
post #47 of 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnine
You say sound upgrade.. did you really notice a change in the sound?
I did that mod very early, so I'll have to agree that a disclaimer is quite appropriate; not yet being used to the original sound, plus the phones were breaking in at a fast pace.
It would also be well within reason to say that the effects can be more or less accredited to placebo -- I don't underestimate that effect, and just knowing that the ugly plastics are deep down in a pile of dump makes my ears that much happier. You're all hi-fi:ers, I know I don't have to explain this one.

Thus: I can safely say that the change in sound is pretty huge. My hunch is that the plasic grill is more evil than the button. Oh, but the button is evil too, and ugly; don't ever forget that. It goes in the bin.

Highly recommended mod
post #48 of 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt976
Question, why did you use stereo plugs? And what kind of plugs and jacks did you use? I'm thinking the small Neutrik mono's might work best for me, but I'm still deciding which jacks to get.
I used stereo plugs and jacks purely because of availability. My local electronics stores dont have any decent mono jacks or plugs. So I just used stereo jacks and plugs and bridged the channels to make them mono. I could have bought fancy plugs, but realistically i'm very broke and live in australia (therefore, higher postage).

This is the jack i used, simply because it was available and would require the least amount of grinding in my precious MS-2s



I'm half way to writing a how-to guide for doing the mod, just because there isn't a huge amount of info on how to, so we had to work out how to do it as we went, which is really quite scary when you're standing over your precious headphones with a whirring dremmel
post #49 of 5341
Please do write the guide. I'd really like to try this - but need LOTS of guidance to keep from being terrified!
post #50 of 5341
Yes yes, I can see why it would be scary! Plus you had to drill the metal, I think I'd rather take a drill to my own teeth than to hear my poor metal cups get grinded up! I'll just stick to modding my 125's for now and when I have enough disposable income to risk tearing apart my MS-2i's I'll go for it !

Nice mod though, looking forward for the how too and extra pictures! I think I'll try and and find some nice 3.5mm jacks and use the small mono Neutrik plugs from Parts express, they look like they would fit nicely at the end of the detachable cables.

Here's a pic
post #51 of 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt976
Also, here's a rather dark picture of some of my pads that I frequently roll on and off my 3 pairs of Grado's.
What kind of pads are the ones second from the right?
post #52 of 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by masan
What kind of pads are the ones second from the right?
Todd's Flat Pads.
post #53 of 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnine
Todd's Flat Pads.
Cost?

I'm recieving my SR-60 this week in the mail. Wondering what my first upgrade should be...

Thinking about replacing the mesh with a metal one.
post #54 of 5341
Yea, from left to right the pads are: Beta C-pad, two sets of modded and dyed 414 pads, Todd Flats, and bowls.

Edit: ^^^ cost for the flats run $30 I believe from TTVJ
post #55 of 5341
here are my sr225 with the button removed and silver paint taken off of the housing. the glue which held the button in place was such a pain to clean off. i hand to continually warm it up with the heat gun while i slowly wiped it away. in the end, i used a toothbrush soaked with goo gone to get all of the glue off.



i guess next step is to recable. where can you get a decent cable or silver cable? and would the canare star quad be better than the stock sr225 or ms2 cable? it seems to be a pretty cheap alternative to the really high end stuff out there.
post #56 of 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by masan
Cost?

I'm recieving my SR-60 this week in the mail. Wondering what my first upgrade should be...

Thinking about replacing the mesh with a metal one.
about 35 bucks shipped, something like that? for a SR60 you might want to think about the 5 dollar Senn414 pads instead.
post #57 of 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn
about 35 bucks shipped, something like that? for a SR60 you might want to think about the 5 dollar Senn414 pads instead.
I don't see why you'd discourage a grill mod on the SR-60's -- It's not quite a cost no object project and useful mesh is easy to find, new or stripped from some thingy.
post #58 of 5341

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoptygma
I don't see why you'd discourage a grill mod on the SR-60's -- It's not quite a cost no object project and useful mesh is easy to find, new or stripped from some thingy.
Perhaps he was referring to using the modded HD414 pads for the SR60 rather than the flat pads (which, at $30, are half the cost of the SR60 itself); at $5 and ~ 10 minutes to mod the modded HD414 pads (or vwaps) represent a cost-effective simulation that approaches the flat pad sound while demonstrating even comfort. The grille mod is something I'd consider if someone would give me their MS1!
post #59 of 5341
Yea, I wouldn't get the flats for the SR-60's either. Personally I think you'd be better off getting some Senn 414 pads. They are cheaper, definitely more comfortable, and IMO they sound a whole lot better as well.

Definitely do a screen mod if you get the chance, it really opens up the back of that cup and lets the driver really breathe.
post #60 of 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150
Does repeated washing make them softer?... So they more easily contour to the ear?
from my experience, indubitably yes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....