Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 299

post #4471 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Did you make those, Joe?! Those cups are BEAUTIFUL!

Ha, no sir! Those are courtesy of 7keys. 

What wood is that?

post #4472 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

What wood is that?

Oak! I believe the pictures he a posted a page or two back are from the same batch.
post #4473 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post


Oak! I believe the pictures he a posted a page or two back are from the same batch.


YUP!

post #4474 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post


Oak! I believe the pictures he a posted a page or two back are from the same batch.


YUP!

Wow, I love the look of that wood..

post #4475 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

Wow, I love the look of that wood..

If you take a picture from the side you see the tiger rays which is a grain pattern sometimes found in oak. I really like it myself.

post #4476 of 5725

 

 

Made my own headband. I gotta say: work with leather is harder than I had expected. Too stiff unfortunately...

post #4477 of 5725

Lost my right channel recently and decided it was time to re-cable anyway.  Well after doing that, it seems like it was the fine wire from the driver to the solder pad that was the issue.

 

Anyone have luck repairing this? Or should I start the search for a new pair :)

post #4478 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post
 

Lost my right channel recently and decided it was time to re-cable anyway.  Well after doing that, it seems like it was the fine wire from the driver to the solder pad that was the issue.

 

Anyone have luck repairing this? Or should I start the search for a new pair :)

 

Ouch!   A few have been there, even fewer have succeeded with fixing the issue.  The fine wire is really hard to resolve and get working correctly.  Sometimes, donor drivers exist but I haven't seen any around lately.  I just have a donor Magnum 3.5 driver.  Not sure if that would be a good match, or not.  Most likely not.

post #4479 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

Ouch!   A few have been there, even fewer have succeeded with fixing the issue.  The fine wire is really hard to resolve and get working correctly.  Sometimes, donor drivers exist but I haven't seen any around lately.  I just have a donor Magnum 3.5 driver.  Not sure if that would be a good match, or not.  Most likely not.

That is kinda what I assumed.  That wire is so tiny, seems like more fight that what it's worth.  Not sure how it happened... I may have to check my headphone amp and make sure it's still working in spec.

post #4480 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post

Lost my right channel recently and decided it was time to re-cable anyway.  Well after doing that, it seems like it was the fine wire from the driver to the solder pad that was the issue.

Anyone have luck repairing this? Or should I start the search for a new pair smily_headphones1.gif

Had the same issue a few weeks back. I sent them to Grado for repairs, and they sent me a new one back for the repair rate!
Edited by JoeDoe - 12/9/13 at 7:41am
post #4481 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post


Had the same issue a few weeks back. I sent them to Grado for repairs, and they sent me a new one back for the repair rate!

Do you mind telling me what the cost was?

post #4482 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post


Had the same issue a few weeks back. I sent them to Grado for repairs, and they sent me a new one back for the repair rate!


As in a new pair of headphones or?

 

Curious about this too as the cables on mine are getting a little ratty where they enter the cups.

post #4483 of 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post


As in a new pair of headphones or?

Curious about this too as the cables on mine are getting a little ratty where they enter the cups.

New drivers, not a new pair of cans. Although, it sounds like you're talking about the left and right cables that solder onto the driver whereas I'm talking about the super tiny voice coils that go from the solder points to the inside of the driver.
Edited by JoeDoe - 12/9/13 at 3:52pm
post #4484 of 5725

Joe,

 

I see Vibro Labs has some more "unfinished" Mahogany cups available on eBay for purchase.  They have about 10 pair listed (as of last evening).  $30 and free shipping along with the black screen included as well as foamy tape if you need it for the driver installation.

 

* I'm not affiliated with Vibro Labs in any way.  Just passing along something I noticed which might be beneficial to the group.  Also, they do have finished, "A" grade cups listed for sale, too.  It looks like about 10-pair being offered with a shipping guarantee prior to the upcoming Christmas holiday.  The cost is $95.00, with free shipping.

post #4485 of 5725
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....