Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 293

post #4381 of 5768

Some more eye candy for the thread.  A beautiful pair of cherry cups turned by the infamous 7Keys.  The finish has a really a nice, warm (visual) tone to it.  No audio impressions on these yet, as I'm still in the middle of the sound impressions on 4 wood types of cups that are being reviewed.

 

1) A shot showing a single cup with the black mesh installed, as well as the driver too.

 

 

 

 

 

2) A lil' dab of Dynamat on the back of the magnet.  The size of the dab in this picture is the approximate amount that Grado places on the back of the RS1i drivers when those headphones are built.

 

.

 

 

3) A view of how precise the drivers fit into the cups without any tape, adhesive, etc.  Approximately 3/32" was removed using my Dremel with the small drum sanding bit so the drives would be able to be set carefully into the cups and rest.  Also, a very small shaving was removed with the drum sander on the outer rim of the Grado drivers, too.  Since these drivers were liberated from a pair of Grado headphones, there is a slight protrusion of plastic from the adhesive that was used to melt the drivers and secure them into the plastic rings when new.  On a Magnum driver, this small protrusion of plastic around the outer edge of the driver would not be present since those drivers would not have had to be liberated from the Grado rings for use.  As a preference, I'd always prefer to be able to spend a few minutes with the Dremel on carefully removing a tiny layer of material on the wooden cups so that the drivers can fit like a glove.  The alternative would be the turner making the opening slightly larger so that the assembler wouldn't have to perform this step as not everyone has the tools to do so.  But, in my case, it meant for a very nice fit which allowed me to use my thumbs to press the drivers carefully into the wooden cups.

 

.

 

 

4) One last view of the cherry cups with a different light variation to show the finish, the grain, etc.  My pictures were taking without a flash along with setting my camera up in ISO 400 speed, as well as a small amount of incandescent light from a desk lamp.  The color in the pictures is really quite close to the actual color of the cups since a flash wasn't used to add too much light into the picture and changing the color of the material.

 

post #4382 of 5768

Those phone cups are so beautiful.


Edited by Rauliki - 11/25/13 at 4:16am
post #4383 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopral 21 View Post
 

if i sold my cup for $35-$50 and shipping $14-$20 i think that shipping cost for me to much expensive..

 

that price range sounds perfectly reasonable to me. i'd buy

post #4384 of 5768

I was going to say...USD$100 shipped for the pair would be fine in my humble opinion.

post #4385 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

So, a few weeks ago I purchased some B-stock/blemished cups from Vibro Labs for $40 a pair. Honestly when I bought em, I wasn't expecting to be able to do much with them as I don't have any woodworking tools and very little experience outside of woodying Grados using pre-made cups. Really just wanted something I could experiment with.

 

Finally finished with em today.

 

They're the same mahogany used for Turbulent Labs, stained with a red mahogany finish with two coats of Poly. Started like this:

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

 

Had to finish cutting, sanding, and finishing them myself. Since I bought 3 pairs originally, let's just say there's quite a pile of sawdust in the shed...

 

Unfortunately one of the pairs cracked as I was installing the drivers w/ foam liner. Not a deal-breaker as functionally, they're still fine, but a little disheartening nonetheless. Luckily all of these guys were destined to be Xmas gifts and the recipients aren't the nitpicking type. One of em is actually an amateur carpenter...

 

 

Just thought I'd share. 

 I saw those on ebay....good job.

post #4386 of 5768


This Oak has some great markings.

post #4387 of 5768

antique finish :D

 

*

post #4388 of 5768
Beautiful stuffs guys!!! Keep the pics coming.

I've been bz w work lately, hardly get time to sit down n enjoy some music.
Over this coming weekend will b doing some soldering work with my just arrived silver cable and cocobolo plug/splitter.
Can't wait for the weekend to come.
post #4389 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by austonia View Post

that price range sounds perfectly reasonable to me. i'd buy
For me too, nice price.
post #4390 of 5768

I was doing a little digging to see what other alternative headbands existed that would fit Grado headphones.  I remember some posts over the years where a few people have actually used the headbands that appear on the Uban Ears headphones.

 

Here is the Urban Ears "Plattan" model.  It sells in the $49 range, but I've found that Nordsrom carries it.  If you locate the item on their Web site, you can then check the availability of the item in stores that may be local to you.  Their price?  $35.00.  Still might seem a bit high for just a headband, but still worthy when you consider the Sony MDR-7506 is $19.99 + $10.00 shippping from Trew Audio.

 

 

 

Going down in price a bit, we have the Auvio foldable headphones that are sold by Radioshack.  They have the "knock off" appearance of the Urban Ears headphones, so the headband is similar - though I like the look of the Urban Ears on a bit better. Their price @ Radioshack? $24.99 and it appears to be stocked at local stores.

 

 

 

 

 

However, if you have a slight bit of patience, the pot gets a little bit sweeter.  On Thanksgiving Day, Radioshack will be offering their Black Friday prices on their Web site.  Also, starting at 8:00 a.m. on Black Friday, the stores will be open -- even though I hardly think I'll be waiting outside of a Radioshack @ 8:00 a.m. on Friday.  But, for these two days, the price of the Auvio goes down to $9.99.

 

Now, I still must put the following disclaimer here.  This is for the 2013 Black Friday sale.

 

post #4391 of 5768

 

My Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon MS1i :D:D:D

- MS1i Driver

- Indian Rosewood Full Housing by Kopral 21

- Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 Cable With Oyaide Rhodium 3.5 Mini Plug

- Cheapo Headband from my storage :D I buy it for 4 USD on 2007 or 2008, cant remember

- HD25 Earpads with dual tape :D

- Ibasso dx50

-Ibasso PB2


Edited by audiofreakie - 11/25/13 at 3:05pm
post #4392 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreakie View Post




My Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon MS1i biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
- MS1i Driver
- Indian Rosewood Full Housing by Kopral 21
- Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 Cable With Oyaide Rhodium 3.5 Mini Plug
- Cheapo Headband from my storage biggrin.gif I buy it for 4 USD on 2007 or 2008, cant remember
- HD25 Earpads with dual tape biggrin.gif
- Ibasso dx50
-Ibasso PB2

Sweet set up man!
post #4393 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreakie View Post

 

My Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon MS1i :D:D:D

- MS1i Driver

- Indian Rosewood Full Housing by Kopral 21

- Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 Cable With Oyaide Rhodium 3.5 Mini Plug

- Cheapo Headband from my storage :D I buy it for 4 USD on 2007 or 2008, cant remember

- HD25 Earpads with dual tape :D

- Ibasso dx50

-Ibasso PB2

 

Dude. That's an awesome pair of Grados. Can we get this in production? :)

post #4394 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I was doing a little digging to see what other alternative headbands existed that would fit Grado headphones.  I remember some posts over the years where a few people have actually used the headbands that appear on the Uban Ears headphones.

Here is the Urban Ears "Plattan" model.  It sells in the $49 range, but I've found that Nordsrom carries it.  If you locate the item on their Web site, you can then check the availability of the item in stores that may be local to you.  Their price?  $35.00.  Still might seem a bit high for just a headband, but still worthy when you consider the Sony MDR-7506 is $19.99 + $10.00 shippping from Trew Audio.





Going down in price a bit, we have the Auvio foldable headphones that are sold by Radioshack.  They have the "knock off" appearance of the Urban Ears headphones, so the headband is similar - though I like the look of the Urban Ears on a bit better. Their price @ Radioshack? $24.99 and it appears to be stocked at local stores.







However, if you have a slight bit of patience, the pot gets a little bit sweeter.  On Thanksgiving Day, Radioshack will be offering their Black Friday prices on their Web site.  Also, starting at 8:00 a.m. on Black Friday, the stores will be open -- even though I hardly think I'll be waiting outside of a Radioshack @ 8:00 a.m. on Friday.  But, for these two days, the price of the Auvio goes down to $9.99.

Now, I still must put the following disclaimer here.  This is for the 2013 Black Friday sale.



I used a Plattan headband on my StratoKOSSter that I built and sold...it was rather nice, but lacked the clamping force of the regular Grado headband. For some I suppose that's a good thing, for me, I could have done with a better seal for what I was trying to do...
post #4395 of 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreakie View Post

 

My Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon MS1i :D:D:D

- MS1i Driver

- Indian Rosewood Full Housing by Kopral 21

- Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 Cable With Oyaide Rhodium 3.5 Mini Plug

- Cheapo Headband from my storage :D I buy it for 4 USD on 2007 or 2008, cant remember

- HD25 Earpads with dual tape :D

- Ibasso dx50

-Ibasso PB2

 

Your headphones look excellent.  The headband is a nice modern-looking headband, and for $4.00, that's a steal.  However, 2007 or 2008?  In headphone terms, that's like 50 years ago.  :D

 

Then again, not everyone moves gear around nearly as much as I do.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....